Jan 23 2013
By: hellsoul0 Lombax Warrior 104 posts

Stand?

22 replies 385 views Edited Jan 23, 2013

would a Tv Dinner Stand or a laptop stand be a cheap alternative then a legit racing wheel stand? i wasn't aware that the stands are just as expensive as the wheel or even more :/

Message 1 of 23 (385 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1088 posts

Re: Stand?

Jan 23, 2013
To be honest, your going to need something quite sturdy than that. For example I have my own office /collectables/race, play room. I have a classic all metal heavy duty teachers desk. Which I mount my wheel to. I get no movement what-so-ever which is what you need. You need something that is not going to move a lot when you really get into it.
Do you have your own room or space that you can put something more sturdy in?

Mickymouse something temporary until you can save up for something more sturdy than what you mentioned. If that is all you have for now then just watch how rough you get when turning the wheel.
" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 2 of 23 (373 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Jan 23, 2013

Depends on how stable the stand is, but yes they can work.  Right now I'm using a "Walmart Special" stand, a cheap $18 student computer desk thing, that I had available at the time.  It's functional but not perfect as it's not balanced correctly and has too much "wobble", though if you have any basic skill with tools (and the inclination to do so) it's possible to throw together a decent wheel stand for $50 or less with supplies from your local hardware store.

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 3 of 23 (368 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Jan 23, 2013

hmmmmm im gonna have to look around alot and stuff :/

Message 4 of 23 (362 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

Do you have the means to make one out of wood?  Mine is made out of 2x4's and plywood.  I ordered the racing seat off Amazon.  It's crude but the seat is comfy, foot pedals, steering wheel and shifter are at perfect length and position.  So while it's not much to look at, it's works.  I got mine setup in my own 'man cave' room down in the basement so it sits in the middle of the floor 24/7.  However, if I did have to move it, it does seperate in two sections for easier portability. 

Anyway, all you would need is some plywood, 2x4's and some screws.  Tools required would be a circular saw and a drill. 

Sorry the pic quality isn't that great, but you get the idea.  You can also see the blu-tooth keyboard and that blue thing next to it is a book light I got at Barnes and Noble that plugs into an outlet.  So I can be playing in low light and still have the keyboard lit up for typing.

IMG_0386.jpg

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 5 of 23 (358 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jan 23, 2013

just search this forum for "Driving Rig" or "cockpit" and you will find many threads that show some good store-bought and homemade rigs...

good luck

(and yes you will need something rather sturdy. if it wobbles at all, no good.)

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 6 of 23 (348 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4676 posts

Jan 23, 2013

I started off with a TV table and wobbled all over the place.  I blamed the stand.  Then I got a sturdy Wheel Stand Pro and that solved the issue of where any wobble was coming from.... all me.

Message 7 of 23 (333 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1088 posts

Jan 23, 2013
Hey L. B, looks like you did a quite a good job on your set up. Simple and effective. Good job!

Heck, hellsoul you can even go see what your neighbourhood Pick-a-Part has to offer. Maybe you can find a nice driving seat there for alot cheaper than what is online. Give it a look over.
" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 8 of 23 (332 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Jan 23, 2013

i don't think we have a pick-a-part here Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 23 (328 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44789 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 23, 2013

hellsoul0 wrote:

would a Tv Dinner Stand or a laptop stand be a cheap alternative then a legit racing wheel stand? i wasn't aware that the stands are just as expensive as the wheel or even more :/

You want something sturdy, so have a look through this thread. Lots of great ideas, all different, mostly inexpensive or easy to make.

Message 10 of 23 (321 Views)
0 Likes