Jul 16 2010
By: oliver3577 First Son 3 posts

Sound in GT5.... I'm afraid... Please Mr Yamauchi, don't forget our ears ;-)

24 replies 48 views Edited Jul 16, 2010
Hi everybody, I'm a very big fan of motorsports, hence my interest in GT5, but I am a bit concerned about the sounds in what is announced as the best car simulator game. Let me explain: From what I have seen so far, playing the prologue version or seeing the online videos of the upcoming GT5, I am very desapointed in the sounds of the game. In my opinion the perfect simulation should bring 3 essential components with the same level of realism: The image, the physics of the car, and the sounds. Gran Turismo is rendering the 2 firsts very realisticaly! the image is superb and it seems that they've worked really hard on reproducing how a car is reacting in the real life; but haven't they forgot something? Every single person who has ever been witnessing a race car in action will be able to tell you how lousy it can be; how much different noises you can actually hear from the fabulous sound of a race engine which is like a music to the ear, to the impressive explosions of the exhausts or even the simple noise of the chassy when you're inside the car... all this is adding so much to the magic! Again the sound of a supercar is providing 1/3 of the immersion that is needed to enjoy the perfect simulation (the rest being provided from the realistic image 1/3 and how the car behave for 1/3) So far the sounds are way to "synthetic" and the only game which has been able to reflect the sound ambience inside a supercar, is GTR on PC. So, please Mr Kazunori Yamauchi, don't forget our ears
Message 1 of 25 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3033 posts

Re: Sound in GT5.... I'm afraid... Please Mr Yamauchi, don't forget our ears ;-)

Jul 16, 2010
I agree that past titles seem to have lost something in the translation from real world sound to game sound.

I don't know about the whole process so maybe it's really hard to do, but for all the real world sound sampling they do (and I would guess they'd do sampling on GT5/GT5P as well) it seems like the sound would better than it is. It seems to be the best so far in GT5P, but I guess only time will tell.

That was one of my biggest issues, if not the biggest issue I had with GT4 was the sound. I'll never forget the horror how bad my 454 Chevelle with race exhaust sounded on that gameSmiley Sad.

Fix your DS3/SixAxis-Boomer since 2,736

Message 2 of 25 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4305 posts

Re: Sound in GT5.... I'm afraid... Please Mr Yamauchi, don't forget our ears ;-)

Jul 16, 2010

Welcome to the forum oliver3577!

Oh well ... 2 out of 3 ain't bad. Sounds pretty good on my system (to me anyways) but I probably got a little more into my setup than yours. (approx $7700 not including the PS3) It probably could be better but we won't know until the game disc gets inserted into the PS3 in November, will we?

And please don't be afwaid

Message 3 of 25 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
703 posts

Jul 16, 2010

Not as easy as it sounds to get a sound from a vehicle as you might think.I run a 700+hp mustang that sounds sweet on the road but at 130+ MPH all you really hear in the car is wind I have a video recorded in stereo from inside and over a 100MPh the sound from the wind is pretty much all you hear.
Listen and youll see,BTW when this video was shot i was only tuned to around 450 RWHP due to track rules as i dont run a spoiler.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-d1mbHzLCo

Photobucket
Message 4 of 25 (48 Views)
Fender Bender
4305 posts

Jul 16, 2010

Mikel1871 wrote:

Not as easy as it sounds to get a sound from a vehicle as you might think.I run a 700+hp mustang that sounds sweet on the road but at 130+ MPH all you really hear in the car is wind I have a video recorded in stereo from inside and over a 100MPh the sound from the wind is pretty much all you hear.
Listen and youll see,BTW when this video was shot i was only tuned to around 450 RWHP due to track rules as i dont run a spoiler.

Nice lap Mikel, where was that?

Message 5 of 25 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
703 posts

Jul 16, 2010

FatLeadFoot wrote:

Mikel1871 wrote:

Nice lap Mikel, where was that?

Thanks,I would surly like to go back now that im able to adjust my suspension alot more and im not running a street legal exhaust system.
was shot on  Buttonwillow Raceway just outside LA,Cali. in 07 when i was out visiting my Aunt and Uncle.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 25 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9428 posts

Jul 16, 2010

Schweet!  Nice engine sounds.   Was awesome to watch....Nice lap, man.  Thanks for sharing.

Message 7 of 25 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Jul 16, 2010

This video is of a friend of mine from work at Texas World Speedway last year:

nismo 350z at TWS

This clip is  the same car last month on the same track:

nismo 350z at TWS round 2

And this is the car that you are riding in:

Nismo 350z

Original username: Redrkt
Original reg date: 12/30/03

Redrkt RacingTPRA ForumsCustoms Sigs
Message 8 of 25 (48 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jul 30, 2010

Thanks for your answers guys!
You say that at 100Mph, the wind is really, all you can actually hear in your car... Well that's exactly what I meant, in GT5 prologue cars' sounds are very "sanitized" and it doesn't reflect all the sounds artefacts that we get to hear in the real life. You know, the explosions from the exhaust, and all the creaks from the frame.. Again, if you play to a game called GTR on PC, (which by the way is now quite old), you'll see that sounds can be realistic and this adds a lot to the experience... I mean, who would not agree with the fact that the sound of a Ferrari is just as beautiful as the car itself! Hence it deserves just as much attention from the GT5 development team

Message 9 of 25 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Jul 30, 2010

Here's a post from GTplanet member NoxNoctis Umbra, comparing GT4 sounds to the same cars in GTPSP. They're working on it.

PD F1 car

GT4

GTPSP

Mercedes 190E

GT4

GTPSP

Zonda LM

GT4

GTPSP

Ride with Ron Fellows to have a listen to how it should be (also notice how careful and smooth he is compared to how we drive)

DriverSports.org
Message 10 of 25 (48 Views)
0 Likes