Monster Hunter
43 posts

Re: Sony needs to take action

Jan 5, 2011

If leaving a PS3 on was cause for a concern, then so would desktop PCs. There are TONS and TONS of corporations that have hundreds and hundreds of servers and desktop PCs that will stay on for months at a time. No fires there.

I DO agree that there should be a save option, like when entering the pits, so maybe someone can actually A-SPEC a 24-hour enduro race. That would be nice.

Message 71 of 78 (28 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
16 posts

Jan 5, 2011

exXboxFan wrote:

hah, you're contradicting yourself.  you are saying that you must play it as a pure sim if one is playing it at all, then also saying we should pause it when we need to.  Bam, problems solved, it's not a pure sim!  It's close in some key areas, but it is not going to be a perfect sim, and is still put out on a GAMING console.

also, my post was using absurdity to illustrate that your post was absurd.  you said we shouldn't be able to save during a race because that's not sim, but the point is that there are already HUNDREDS of aspects about how we play this "sim" that are not totally realistic and no one questions them, so why should a save be that big of a deal?

So if you want your pure sim, you have every right to not use a save option if they provide one eventually, and pee in a bag, only take a few seconds to rest during pit stops... and wear a nifty helmet while you play,  need I go on?

Come to think of it.  You could play ANY game as a sim.  Maybe i'll go buy block ops and the first time I get shot, brake the disk and never play it again. I mean, afterall, my player was supposed to die, right?

lol

Actually I did not contradict myself, I never said you must play the game as I sim. I said it is a sim, so don't laud the fact of it being so realistic, then whine when it's realistic.

My point here is that everyone creams their pants about how this is the most accurate diving game EVARZ, then cry when they can't save in the middle of a long race.

Personally no, I do not think you should be able to save in the middle of a race and quit, you can't save and quit in the middle of a game of madden either.

Please stop going to absurd means to try to prove your point, it doesn't work and serves only to make you look unintelligent. If you can't make a reasonable counter-point, don't make one at all. Wearing a helmet while playing and not being able to save are different enough that there is no reasonable connection between the two.

The point of an ENDURANCE race is that it is long. If you can save and quit that removes the entire purpose of having an endurance race. If you don't want to do a long race, don't do a long race. Saving defeats the point of having long races.

And my final point is why are people whining about it so much when you can pause the game and walk away, it is effectively the same thing?

Message 72 of 78 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Jan 5, 2011

Pausing is effectively the same thing if you want to be able to save it to postpone, but the original poster was concerned about a fire. Pausing it would NOT help this situation. Don't get me wrong, I don't it's an issue anyway.

Message 73 of 78 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
59 posts

Jan 6, 2011

BeefyPeeg wrote:

I don't know about you guys, but I take the simulation as far as I can...

On really hard corners, I lean as far over as possible and try to not fall off the couch.  When I'm accelerating hard, I have my wife grab me by the shoulders and yank my head back into the couch as hard as humanly possible, stretching each side of my face back like a dog with its head out the car window.  On that fateful occasion when impacting a wall or car head on, I have my wife punch me in the face Chuck Norris-style, while my simultaneously yanking my bleeding head into the steering wheel, causing it to bounce off the horn button like a ping pong ball.  Thankfully, though Gran Turismo does not simulate fire…

Photobucket

OMG haha!...Thank you for that. I think I am going to have my woman start punching me in the face when I hit a wall...lol

Poprocksarecool-

"This is a simulation racer. You can't pause and save in a real race, can you?

If you don't like it then just don't do those races. If you don't want to put in the work you don't deserve the reward."

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Poprocksarecool-

"And my final point is why are people whining about it so much when you can pause the game and walk away, it is effectively the same thing? "

Contradictions ?!?!?!?

I think the point is that it is not a 100% simulation experience so why not just add the save feature? makes more sense than pausing your ps3 and leaving it running for ANY reason, when they can simply add a save feature that has essentially the same effect but doesn't require you to leave your system paused and running all night for NO good reason.

Also it has been stated MANY MANY times that in real racing Nobody races for 24 straight alone so explain to me how having the game essentially require you to do so is considered "simulation"? Again contradictions?

Message 74 of 78 (28 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
14 posts

Jan 6, 2011

Bottome line, some of us have lives wich include a job, school, a spouse, kids, etc.... can you accomodate us and give us a save option so that us normal human beings with a life can enjoy 100% if the game we purchsed for $60.00? If not i want at least  a twenty back?

This is my last post on this thread.

Point Made....

Message 75 of 78 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

Jan 6, 2011

Poprocksarecool wrote:

And my final point is why are people whining about it so much when you can pause the game and walk away, it is effectively the same thing?

With all due respect, I've only seen a very few people whining in this thread, including <coughs and point above these words>

All we're asking for is the ability to save progress in a game, so that we can enjoy it beyond the primary levels. And I didn't say demanding. I said asking. And we're not asking you, we're asking PD. I am an adult, with responsibilities that go well beyond a game and 30+ years of computer experience professionally and otherwise, not a child or one of the priviledged few who can do as he likes whenever he likes and probably know about as much about the underpinnings as my mom knows about how her car actually works..

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 76 of 78 (28 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
703 posts

Jan 6, 2011

Twelvepak wrote:

Standards or no standards, any electrical device carries with it the potential to start a fire.  That is just the nature of electricity.  Ask any fire fighter you know, it's a bad idea to leave an appliance of any sort on while no one is home.

Does this mean I need to start unplugging my refrigerator from now on?

Photobucket
Message 77 of 78 (28 Views)
Highlighted
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Jan 6, 2011

Oh great..... I better tell my wife to unplug it too!

Message 78 of 78 (28 Views)
0 Likes