PlayStation MVP
3196 posts

Re: Some thoughts on PD, the 2.08 update & the Forum Community

Oct 2, 2012

Destinkeys wrote:

.........., how about leaving the thread to those that WANT an intelligent conversation?

Sorry dude, but you've completely lost me now.  I exited from some of these conversations, because apparently you and I have different definitions of intelligent conversation.  Mine does not include endless blinkered repetition and constant insulting and belittling of those you are trying to convince.  Your ideas may have gotten a better reception if not for your methods.
Good luck on your quest.  You and I are built to race on different tracks. 

Please use plain text.
Message 71 of 74 (219 Views)
Fender Bender
3529 posts

Oct 2, 2012

THE_KART96 wrote:

"sigh" I have raced in the real world for 20+ years. From karts to sleds.  So lets leave that alone.

As for what you are asking PD to do.  Yes. F1 has a different system and as you have pointed out, it follows the rules of the FIA. To do this, the main code the game was developed so that everything in the game works together to give out penalties. For PD to do that, the complete game code would have to be re-written. And by doing so, this could effect other parts of the game. So now PD would have to start from day 1 and in the end, come out with a new game disk as that is were the main code is. The chances of that happening is 0%. I understand ,and I think many others here also understand, that you want changes. That point is a dead horse that keeps on getting beated on. All I am saying is that you will most likely will see changes in GT6. And if that point is a game breaker for you, just move on. Let the rest of us enjoy GT5 for what it is. It sounds like you and some others have found something better. Ok, great, enjoy it. Have fun.

It doesn't have anything to do with 'finding something better', it's just finding something different.  It is too late for changes like this to be implemented in GT5, GT6 is still in development though.  I don't think racing rules of corner cutting, ramming people off the track is specific to FIA yet no other racing sport.  I think that's pretty standard anywhere.  The idea of bringing it up is taking a look at how common clean racing rules are implement in one place and seeing if it's feasible to implement them here.  That's all!  Kaz is a real race car driver, yet there is no importance to implement the common clean racing rules in his own game?  Or should I say, cars ghosting and everyone driving through each other was the best and only way?  Me referencing the other game was just to point out there is other ways, and quit possibly a more realistic way to enforce and promote clean racing within a game.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Please use plain text.
Message 72 of 74 (185 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Oct 3, 2012

Lord_Beelzebub wrote:

THE_KART96 wrote:

"sigh" I have raced in the real world for 20+ years. From karts to sleds.  So lets leave that alone.

As for what you are asking PD to do.  Yes. F1 has a different system and as you have pointed out, it follows the rules of the FIA. To do this, the main code the game was developed so that everything in the game works together to give out penalties. For PD to do that, the complete game code would have to be re-written. And by doing so, this could effect other parts of the game. So now PD would have to start from day 1 and in the end, come out with a new game disk as that is were the main code is. The chances of that happening is 0%. I understand ,and I think many others here also understand, that you want changes. That point is a dead horse that keeps on getting beated on. All I am saying is that you will most likely will see changes in GT6. And if that point is a game breaker for you, just move on. Let the rest of us enjoy GT5 for what it is. It sounds like you and some others have found something better. Ok, great, enjoy it. Have fun.

It doesn't have anything to do with 'finding something better', it's just finding something different.  It is too late for changes like this to be implemented in GT5, GT6 is still in development though.  I don't think racing rules of corner cutting, ramming people off the track is specific to FIA yet no other racing sport.  I think that's pretty standard anywhere.  The idea of bringing it up is taking a look at how common clean racing rules are implement in one place and seeing if it's feasible to implement them here.  That's all!  Kaz is a real race car driver, yet there is no importance to implement the common clean racing rules in his own game?  Or should I say, cars ghosting and everyone driving through each other was the best and only way?  Me referencing the other game was just to point out there is other ways, and quit possibly a more realistic way to enforce and promote clean racing within a game.

FINALLY!!! This is all I have been trying to say. GT5 has little chance for this kind of update, GT6 is the next chance to do something. Yes, there is a better way. We will just have to wait. Thank You.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 73 of 74 (154 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Oct 3, 2012

THE_KART96 wrote:

FINALLY!!! This is all I have been trying to say. GT5 has little chance for this kind of update, GT6 is the next chance to do something. Yes, there is a better way. We will just have to wait. Thank You.

I would have to say that if they have the time to make the DLC, they have the time to tighten up the track cutting at least.

I'd have to agree the intentional contact may be a bit more difficult, but then that's always been a subjective decision process, even in the real racing world. I don't know of anyone that can get into a driver's mind and determine intent. The game will always get some of those calls wrong, just as it's happened in the real world.

However, when it's blatant, ie someone takes a deliberate run, or doesn't use the brakes, in those cases where it's really obvious someone cut under you and took you out, that's simply an adjustment to the already in place system, which again is something PD is capable of right now.

In addition, PD has little difficulty for finding time to add billboards, advertising, track details and other such things to the game. They have little trouble finding time to continue to update the standard cars to their final forms either.

They also obviously have time to manipulate already in place mechanisms as evidenced by the Ghost Busters fix, the changes to Aero and the changes to RH and the tire model.

They also have time to add buttons and options to the lounge/lobby setup windows...

So while I'd agree MAJOR changes to the way penalties work in the game are likely going to have to wait, I sincerely believe revisions to existing code to tighten the regs so to speak would not be something out of the realm of possibility, nor should someone feel ashamed to ask PD to do something about it.

In the end to me, it's come down to OzDaddy's post.

It's not that any of these arguments don't have merit or are not out of reach to some extent. It's the manner in which they are being presented and "debated" to an extent that precludes PD from seeing the need clearly.

I'd also add I feel it's partially a failure on PD's part to allocate their resources in a more efficient manner to address these concerns.

For every post on this forum about these items, some posted since the days before 1.06, it's time a person spent typing on the forum instead of playing the game online and looking at their advertiser's billboards.

PD is costing themselves money by not addressing these fundamental issues as well as creating divisions within it's core fan base.

That core fan base are the most likely to be still playing GT5 for any length of time. Many people posting in this thread are already moving on to other games. There is simply NO benefit to PD not doing anything about this issue, and paying $60 for a "fixed" GT5 is why I don't buy anything with an EA label on it.

By addressing these simple concerns back then, they'd have a larger audience enjoying a better online experience now.

Instead we have photo stream and potential ad revenue lost because I'm here continuing to ask for the same changes from a year ago.

That is not sound business strategy.

And in all honesty, if PD addresses GT5 concerns in this manner, what gives anyone the idea GT6 will be any different..?

Changing the iteration of the game does not change a company's philosophy. PD will not suddenly become more approachable or more caring simply because the game changed from 5 to 6. They will still be PD. If they won't fix something this obvious now, what would make anyone think they'll fix it then..? Especially given how many people here are just fine with paying the $60 for GT6 and saying "it's fine, really..."

PD is making money on GT5 right now, and can continue to do so. It's only their own limitations that have held back potential DLC in favor of corporate dollars for billboards, cars and ads.

They could just as easily add created tracks from past games or upgrade the track creator to be more useful, implement a few lounge/lobby options for control of specs like "no detuning" or "no stages" or "non PP related upgrades only", add a few host controls to allow a host to control the room better, tighten up the existing penalty system to work a bit better and be a bit more reliable, allow for player to set up seasonal type events for themselves off line or on and open up the wheel categories a bit for some customization and a whole new dimension of online racing would be available to us all.

That alone would allow PD to take the time to do what they need to to make GT6 more than we could ever imagine. Without that, they are again putting us in that years long holding pattern that just begs up to go buy other company's products. As a business, it makes no sense to me what so ever to engage in any behavior that says to ANY customer, real or potential, "please go buy those other games and forget about us for awhile, we really don't need your money..." I don't want any of my customers going anywhere if I can help it. As some have mentioned, there are too many choices now to take any core fan of your game for granted. EA made that mistake, MS and T10 are making that mistake, and now PD is also making that mistake. There's a reason I Racing has grown like it has over the last few years, and it's a pretty expensive solution for a racer fix.

What I mention is not a lot of work when put into context, no more than what they are already putting into the game given the 2.08 update. I have to think implementing those basic changes would  go a long way towards keeping GT5 in the machine and on vs other games or other boxes, and I have to believe that PD, as a company would want that as one of their objectives.

As it stands, it seems PD is so busy doing what ever and Mssr Kaz is so busy inhaling exhaust fumes that they don't really think any of us going to other games or consoles or the PC is of any relevance at all. If the game, and us as core fans of the game mean that little to them, I can't see anything we think or say will matter to them at all.

And yet we've all seen attempts to address these things... I honestly don't think 5 or 6 or man hours or budget is the problem at all.

I think it's far simpler than that.

"What we got here is...failure to communicate...."

I don't think we're able to relay exactly what and how in a way PD can get the concepts behind the problems, and as such they have been trying different things in an attempt to see how we react to determine their direction. Without a bridge to explain the why and the how, PD is as much in the dark as we are.

____

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 74 of 74 (128 Views)
0 Likes