Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Re: Some thoughts on PD, the 2.08 update & the Forum Community ( reposted from thread )

Sep 28, 2012

Dan_Zitions wrote:
To this end, from what I read, it seems PD will now see that the majority of players don't want to do anything but race with friends.

As Oz said, I think it is very much a matter of interpretation.  I personally do want to see things change, I would love to see GT5 reach it's fullest potential, for all the little inconsistencies and idiosyncrasies that gnaw at me from time to time to be fixed.  But at the same time I'm also partly a realist (though more of a pessimist) insofar as I don't expect PD, or any company, to be able to fully improve their game to the level that I personally would like it to be (partly because that level is mostly unique to me and I don't work for PD). 

So I take from the game what I can and make the best of what I've got until such time as I can't, perhaps in a way that's the very type of apathy that you're talking about because I'm willing to settle for what I've got and not always stand up for what I want.  Also I don't mean to say that just because I'm willing to accept these issues may not be changed and simply enjoy what I can that everyone else should fall into line and be happy too.

Also I have to wonder if PD will, in fact, see any of this at all.  Do they even have any official representatives that actively read this or any other "community" forums / websites?  I know we have Sony reps that monitor the forums and I'm extremely thankful for Mastr GT and all the work he does on our (not just "our" here, but "our" from many other GT5 communities beyond this forum as a whole) behalf with PD.  But do PD actually have their own official people that even visit this or any other fan forum beyond private contact with certain individuals?

Dan_Zitions wrote:
I dare say we are not really a community. We are thousands of individuals with little concern for anyone else's enjoyment of the game.

In some ways I think this is a very apt statement, for me there seems to be very little in terms of a real community here at least in the General section because it often seems like a splintered collection of people from various other GT5 communities and random newcomers with "a few good men" that try to bring the group together.  I used to visit here regularly for quite a while but a number of things would build up and eventually put me off posting what little I did and so my visits diminished, not that I wasn't active in a GT5 sense just not here, so I have periods of inactiveness here now.

Since Oz's Essential Car list has been mentioned I'll run with that as an example, I remember seeing the list and thinking of posting a few times but ultimately didn't (at least I don't remember posting, but I might have) largely because most of the cars I was thinking about had already been posted by the time I'd gotten to it.  However once the Essential Vote was brought up (by Ex, if memory serves) within the community I am consistently active in, I followed the links and submitted votes for both polls as I know others from there did but had it not been for Ex bringing it to our attention I certainly would have missed the voting deadlines.

I was actually surprised to hear that it didn't get much attention, I could well understand people voting for all kinds of different cars resulting in votes spread out over all the choices as everyone's taste is different but I certainly didn't expect so few people to actually take the time to vote.

MastrGT wrote:

There is a difference between apathy and not feeling in control of change. Every GT player I know has a list of things, great or small, many or a few, important to everyone or not, that they would like to see added or changed. We would be a pretty sorry lot if we didn't.

I think this very much applies to me, I have a list as long as my arm of things I think need changing, ranging from the little seeminly insignificant things that really chap my patoot to big expansive ideas about new sister programmes for creating our own Race Modified cars or a "Build Your Own Race Track" kit.  Some I've posted and some I've not, but for the most part I don't post them here because I don't really feel it would ultimately lead to any sort of change, so I content myself with venting some frustrations and ideas among friends elsewhere often in the form of a comedy rant.

Maybe it's part of what I mentioned above about the randomness and lack of community feeling here, I know we have certain threads for ideas and suggestions and wotnot though again I don't know how much attention PD pays to them, in fact I don't actually see a Suggestions thread stickied anymore.  Perhaps there is something to that, maybe we need a new Suggestions thread or for one of the old ones to be revived.

I don't know, again my train of thought has been derailed or stopped at some unknown station and I carried on down the line without it, so I'll stop rambling on now.

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Please use plain text.
Message 41 of 74 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8417 posts

Re: Some thoughts on PD, the 2.08 update & the Forum Community ( reposted from thread )

Sep 28, 2012

LB, I know man.

Thanks.

I'm doing what Dan did which is to put out a lightening rod and see what happens.

I posted truth and it got removed.  IF that's what happens here (we'll see what the response to my pollite request to restore it is) then I will not be caught devoting time to try and make it a good place any longer.

I'll still be in GT, but somewhere safe.  Funny how my comments were about how we should not retreat into the nether-regions of other forums merely to feel safe but then that is removed, so what message am I supposed to feel has been delivered?

Like I said, I'm waiting to see what the response is...

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Please use plain text.
Message 42 of 74 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3554 posts

Sep 28, 2012

exXboxFan wrote:

acquaintances vs friends.

I've started where everyone else did.  A list of strangers, many of them became acquaintances.  Some of those later became friends.

Not just "people I like being on  track with" but those who you can tell...  You KNOW they actually care about your well-being and wouldn't be quite the same without your presence.

You've made your share of friends Dan.  And in a funny twist of fate, your (and many others') disgust of  certain things that makes you want to stay away from forums and fighting the "good fight" for making GT everything it has the potential to be, is leading you to the same conclusion that others have reached over the years.  Just race with your friends.

Because it's clear you aren't going to change the game to the level that you'd like, what you are left with is just your friends you've met through the conduit that is GT5.  Remember we're here for you and that we will always be thinking, even if we don't always vocalize it, "man, it would really be great if Dan was here".

You're right, this is WAY more than just a game for a lot of us.  It was and is Therapy.  I needed a virtual world to escape from the real one.  I'm still here, and that is more than I could have predicted 2 yeas ago.

How did I get through the past two years?  GT.  Not because it was brilliantly executed, but because a bunch of brilliant and caring people made it work for our therapy.  But it has worn out its usefulness for your personal therapy path.  You have blossomed and healed to a degree you might not have otherwise thought possible.  There is something else meant for your energy now.  You regained your ability to think, write, and teach and LIVE through GT and this community.  now, you have to decide why it was meant to be and how you're going to go about putting it to good use.

If you have to leave GT for the most part, just keep that memory so that when you look back you shed the discomfort and think of us, and the things you accomplished along the way.

You're ready for "Dan 3.0".  Maybe that life includes some of us, and maybe it includes a little GT once in a while if you can stand it.  That would be nice.

as for the community, and this is directed at everyone else, NOT Dan.  We deserve representation.  If you're happy with things exactly as they are and don't want anything that you don't have.  fine.  you're represented just fine with silence.  you're represented just fine with business as usual.  but what about those who aren't?  They need a voice.  If no one else speaks up on their behalf, then the will be using their own voices.  Don't try to silence them.  Don't try to insist that they are just whining or would never be satisfied.

We are all individuals with unique qualities.  Don't lump someone into a category.  Trust me, it's tempting and I've done it plenty.  It doesn't work.  It gets us nowhere.

You can't read a post and get "oh he's one of THOSE guys".  There are people I've argued with only to better understand them.  It can be done, but only when you have that goal of eventually understanding them as your primary objective.  You can't go into it adversarially, and expect to gain a friend or understanding about a stranger.

Dan spoke of potential, and that is the heartbreaking part of it all.  The game, the community, some of us who have gathered here, all have so much more potential than we demonstrate.

If there is beef.  Squash it.  Anything less is just begging to let this forum die again and have us all retreat into the nether regions and into safe and secure clubs, associations and leagues.

I didn't come here for safe and secure.  I loathe it.  There was enough precident and history between certain groups of the GT community already present and I wanted to be here where they all mingled.  Since then I've grown closer to one side of that fence than the others, but I always regarded everyone as potential allies or friends.  Despite some of the drama between one or two people in particular, I still believe that to be the case.  You can point at me and say something was my fault if that makes you feel better.  You'd probably be right to.  If it makes you feel good then it's a good thing in my book.

Do what you will of me.

This isn't the reply you're refering to as being deleted?  I thought this one was the one.  This is the one I thought was inspirational.

I agree with what you said, well conveyed.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Please use plain text.
Message 43 of 74 (236 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8417 posts

Sep 28, 2012

okay I guess a thanks are in order.

that post was not there a few minutes ago.

maybe they reconsidered, so thanks whoever made it happen.

Please use plain text.
Message 44 of 74 (229 Views)
Fender Bender
3554 posts

Sep 28, 2012

I could be mistaken but I never saw your reply disappear.  Maybe when the mod deleted other replies it moved yours up a few spots on the page and you didn't see it.  It's still here.  I'm glad both yours and Dan's are, they were both excellent posts everyone should have a chance to read and ponder your points.  I did.  :smileyhappy:

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Please use plain text.
Message 45 of 74 (224 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3383 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

I saw it go into hiding.  Glad it's back. 

edit.  Now we can still do what we will of him!

Please use plain text.
Message 46 of 74 (219 Views)
PlayStation MVP
41466 posts

Sep 28, 2012

I am sure nothing serious happened, Ex. The moderation tools have only so much flexibility and the thread would have to be frozen, to some degree, while posts are edited, etc.

My post disappeared for a while, too, but it's all there.

Please use plain text.
Message 47 of 74 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8417 posts

Sep 28, 2012

thanks... I'm cool for now :smileyhappy:

when someone says that "the post has been cleaned up" past-tense, and things are missing, there's really only one thing to assume though.

I think they put it back cuz I went back and forth between a couple of pages to make sure.  Mine was immediately after Dan's and then it wasn't.  Oz's was next...

I think it was removed and then replaced.  My PM to Space might have done the trick.   IDK.

thanks to whoever it was

Please use plain text.
Message 48 of 74 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2795 posts

Sep 28, 2012

exXboxFan wrote:

thanks... I'm cool for now :smileyhappy:

when someone says that "the post has been cleaned up" past-tense, and things are missing, there's really only one thing to assume though.

I think they put it back cuz I went back and forth between a couple of pages to make sure.  Mine was immediately after Dan's and then it wasn't.  Oz's was next...

I think it was removed and then replaced.  My PM to Space might have done the trick.   IDK.

thanks to whoever it was

Should you have any problems like this again, I just bought a brand new chain saw you are welcome to borrow. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Message 49 of 74 (198 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8417 posts

Sep 28, 2012

lol...

I have one actually, but I might need a bigger one some day, so thanks for the offer :smileywink:

Space PM'd me to let me know if was a mistake to have deleted mine with the others.

Please use plain text.
Message 50 of 74 (195 Views)
0 Likes