Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Gaming Beast
2171 posts

Re: Some thoughts on PD, the 2.08 update & the Forum Community ( reposted from thread )

Sep 28, 2012

I respect everyone's opinion on this forum so just wanted to say this:

The latest update with the no collision detection did nothing for me. I won't use it in Exotics and I'm sure most other leagues won't either. I love the tire update though, makes me think I can compete with the fast guys when in the back of my mind I know I'm just kidding myself lol. Having said that, the only reason I'm still playing GT5 is because I met the coolest people I've ever ran across in an online game. The people I race with week in week out are funny, kind, clean racers, and most of all they tolerate me and my beer jokes lol. Since February of 2011 GT5 has kept me busy at least three nights week. I can't name another game that I've played as long as I have with GT5 and the community is the reason why. Let's all remember why we play this game ( I'm assuming anyway ) : not because of updates or things that were supposed to be in the game when it launched, not because of log in bonuses or 20 million credit cars, not because of paint chips or endless supplies of suits and helmets. If all of you have not met the people you race with regularly, would you still play GT5 as much as you do right now?

Message 21 of 74 (297 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3550 posts

Re: Some thoughts on PD, the 2.08 update & the Forum Community ( reposted from thread )

Sep 28, 2012

WAGG__da__DOGG wrote:

excerpt......... If all of you have not met the people you race with regularly, would you still play GT5 as much as you do right now?

Nope.

Message 22 of 74 (289 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3550 posts

Sep 28, 2012

Lord_Beelzebub wrote:

in part.....

If people can't suggest what we want, or bugs to be fixed in this game for future games, then I think we need to delete the stickied The Essential GT Car List and GT's Quirks, Bugs and Glitches threads.  Were those threads stickied so we can all just pass the time posting our car requests and game issues in them, yet get ignored?  I thought they were put there as they are our best hope for PD to take notice and give us the cars we want and fix the bugs we report.

You may be right.  But we may never know whether PD supports the Essential GT Car List, because at they moment, it's more likely to disappear because of a lack of large enough support from the community, not PD.   This forum can send mixed messages.  Please listen to us, sometimes we will ask nicely, sometimes we will have good ideas, sometimes not, sometimes we will yell at you, sometimes we will insult you and still expect you to be receptive and sometimes we won't even be bothered to make requests in a constructive and organized manner. 

Message 23 of 74 (268 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3554 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

Here's the inherent problem with that; a lot of times the "ideas" aren't very good, and bad ideas very often gain traction and become popular. So is Polyphony Digital supposed to implement a bad idea because it's "popular", and the "community", which really isn't a fair representation of Gran Turismo owners because it's really the same few dozen people who contribute to the message board, has repeated it to the point where they can't live without it? That's the real problem. Do things like semi racing really fit into Gran Turismo? Or even motorcycles for that matter? Every idea that the "community" comes up with isn't necesarily good, or even usable. To paraphrase Rodney Dangerfield, the last guy who came up with an idea could have been a maniac! 

One thing that I've learned is that companies use focus groups to guage how well something works. If you've ever seen the extras from God of War, they often ask students at local universities to play the game, and then they ask what they liked and didn't like. The focus group is still used in many aspects of marketing and is still viable. The problem using an internet message board is that it often gives you skewed view of what "consumers" want. And how is that fair to other people who might enjoy a feature that Polyphony is designing, but then has to scrap because they cave to pressure from "the community"?

The internet has a lot of information, but it also has a lot of MISINFORMATION. It's discerning between the two that often times becomes difficult.  

You're right, not everybody's idea is a good one, and people talk about ideas enough or believe in them enough that they will always think it is a good idea no matter what you tell them.  But I think it should be PD's determination of what is a good or bad idea, what's feasible, and what isn't, not us determining that for each other.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 24 of 74 (265 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3554 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 28, 2012

OzDaddy62 wrote:

Lord_Beelzebub wrote:

in part.....

If people can't suggest what we want, or bugs to be fixed in this game for future games, then I think we need to delete the stickied The Essential GT Car List and GT's Quirks, Bugs and Glitches threads.  Were those threads stickied so we can all just pass the time posting our car requests and game issues in them, yet get ignored?  I thought they were put there as they are our best hope for PD to take notice and give us the cars we want and fix the bugs we report.

You may be right.  But we may never know whether PD supports the Essential GT Car List, because at they moment, it's more likely to disappear because of a lack of large enough support from the community, not PD.   This forum can send mixed messages.  Please listen to us, sometimes we will ask nicely, sometimes we will have good ideas, sometimes not, sometimes we will yell at you, sometimes we will insult you and still expect you to be receptive and sometimes we won't even be bothered to make requests in a constructive and organized manner. 

Generally I think any open forum for any game does exactly what you just said.  I think if we ventured into another game section of our own PS forums, people in there would be having similar discussions, ideas, arguements, etc about that game.  That's kind of what happens when people come together who all have differences of opinion over a common thing.  There isn't always going to be 100% agreement.

But your right and well said.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 25 of 74 (262 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Sep 28, 2012

One thing I would like to say in PD's defense is that as we come up on the 2nd year since the original release of GT5, they are still trying to support the product in some way.   Granted it may not necessarily be the types of updates, fixes, new features or DLC that you or I would like but they are at least making some sort of effort to keep the game alive.  I don't think that can be said for all that many games / companies these days though.

I can see many of what I consider flaws and inconsistencies in GT5, as I have with the previous games, and it does bother me that they seem to be left unfixed but I weigh those flaws against all the positive things I can get from the game and so far I'm finding the positives outway the negatives by enough of a margin that it keeps me playing. 

The GT series in general has often been my "Hotel California" of games, by that I mean I often check out any time I like but I never seem to leave completely and have always found myself back in a GT game whenever I think about racing games.  GT games have always had something other games didn't for me, I played GT4 on and off for a good 4 years or more and I still even throw GT2 in the console on occasion.

And that's just speaking of the previous games which were (mostly) offline only, now with GT5 there is a whole other level added to the game.  Even though I'm somewhat of a late bloomer in GT5's online scene, I never had Prologue and didn't get involved with anything online til around the Great PSN Outage of 2011, the people of GT5 are absolutely one of the main reasons I still play consistently. 

I think RUSH said it best:

I can learn to compromise
Anything but my desires
I can learn to get along
With all the things I cant explain

.. when it comes to a video game my desire is enjoyment be it online or offline, I won't compromise that by playing a game that isn't fun.  I can't always explain why PD does or doesn't do the things they have or have not done, but I can learn to live with them and enjoy my tiime while I'm here.

In short I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to say now (and in truth I'm not even sure I was when I started!), it's late now and I probably should have logged off quite a long time ago.  Hopefully this makes sense to someone :smileyhappy:.

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 26 of 74 (285 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6675 posts

Sep 28, 2012

Feldynn wrote:

One thing I would like to say in PD's defense is that as we come up on the 2nd year since the original release of GT5, they are still trying to support the product in some way.   Granted it may not necessarily be the types of updates, fixes, new features or DLC that you or I would like but they are at least making some sort of effort to keep the game alive.  I don't think that can be said for all that many games / companies these days though.

I can see many of what I consider flaws and inconsistencies in GT5, as I have with the previous games, and it does bother me that they seem to be left unfixed but I weigh those flaws against all the positive things I can get from the game and so far I'm finding the positives outway the negatives by enough of a margin that it keeps me playing. 

The GT series in general has often been my "Hotel California" of games, by that I mean I often check out any time I like but I never seem to leave completely and have always found myself back in a GT game whenever I think about racing games.  GT games have always had something other games didn't for me, I played GT4 on and off for a good 4 years or more and I still even throw GT2 in the console on occasion.

And that's just speaking of the previous games which were (mostly) offline only, now with GT5 there is a whole other level added to the game.  Even though I'm somewhat of a late bloomer in GT5's online scene, I never had Prologue and didn't get involved with anything online til around the Great PSN Outage of 2011, the people of GT5 are absolutely one of the main reasons I still play consistently. 

I think RUSH said it best:

I can learn to compromise
Anything but my desires
I can learn to get along
With all the things I cant explain

.. when it comes to a video game my desire is enjoyment be it online or offline, I won't compromise that by playing a game that isn't fun.  I can't always explain why PD does or doesn't do the things they have or have not done, but I can learn to live with them and enjoy my tiime while I'm here.

In short I'm not entirely sure what I'm trying to say now (and in truth I'm not even sure I was when I started!), it's late now and I probably should have logged off quite a long time ago.  Hopefully this makes sense to someone :smileyhappy:.

It makes perfect sense to me, and I am glad to see some more positive insights as to why some of us still love Gran Turismo. Overall, the community is great, there is a lot of sharing of tunes, cars, parts, paints, and most importantly to me, the sharing of Good Times with our Racing Friends. The overall enjoyment that I get from the game, makes the whole experience worth it ot me.

I used to have a glass that sometimes seemed Half-full, and sometimes seemed Half-empty. I figured out that my glass was twice as big as it needed to be. Life is Good.:smileyhappy:

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 27 of 74 (279 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
3550 posts

Sep 28, 2012

SWERV_GRIFFIN wrote:
................I used to have a glass that sometimes seemed Half-full, and sometimes seemed Half-empty. I figured out that my glass was twice as big as it needed to be. Life is Good.:smileyhappy:

Or as a friend of mine said "who cares how big the glass is, just drink it".

Message 28 of 74 (247 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8466 posts

Sep 28, 2012

I prefer the "realist" approach, rather than the optimist or the pessimist.  Because, well, it's real and you can count on it continuing to be real regardless of emotion.

the reality is that this is a great game with many years of fun under its belt and for many more years.

those who are loyally defending their optimism should not necessarily view mine or someone else's complaint about specifics or general flaws that the game DOES have as neglecting to see the positives that the game ALSO does have.

We are merely saying, that the glass is full.  Completely full.  And while it may be mostly full of champagne, the champagne has a *bleep* floating in it and we're just asking for the *bleep* to be taken out.  It would make the champagne taste so much better :smileyvery-happy:

(self-imposed *bleeps* version 1.0)

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 29 of 74 (241 Views)
PlayStation MVP
3550 posts

Sep 28, 2012

That's why I don't drink champagne!  :smileylol:

Any reasonable person knows this is not about being fanboys and haters.  I can appreciate it when a complaint is born out of a love for the game.  If the passion wasn't there, the complaint probably wouldn't be either.

I'm starting to think of this community as being like a sports team's players-only meeting, to help each other out, discuss the issues and hash out any differences.  Management (PD) is not present.  They might be listening at the door, but they are not going to intrude.

Message 30 of 74 (231 Views)
0 Likes