Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Re: Skid recovery... more realistic?

Dec 20, 2010

It's an interesting question, and with the rise of driver's aids in machines, you could argue that the cause for falling lap times has a lot to do with more sophiticated on board computers managing skids and traction for the drivers at the limt. At the end of the day though, the PD engineers have pretty maticulously modelled the handling of 1000+ cars, and turning skid recovery or any other driver's aid on is just missing the point.

Compare the handling of a RUF BTR vs. a RUF RGT - both RR layouts, but the BTR is much more prone to tail spin then the RGT. I believe PD have acurately modeled the advances in the handling dynamics which occured between the two cars, and part of the fun for me is learning how to drive these different kinds of cars at different speeds.

Message 11 of 46 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
5311 posts

Dec 20, 2010

Rated-M3 wrote:

metal0130 wrote:

I hate to even ask, but what does skid recovery DO exactly? I drive with all aids off and ABS on 1 and only used skid recovery when I took over a race from a friends game who had it turned on - I didn't even notice anything?

Just like TCS, it f's with your gas causing you to spin out.

So skid 'recovery' makes you spin out? how does that make any sense?

Photobucket

Blue Led at 1754 posts on 11/08/05 at 10:04 am... w0ot.
Message 12 of 46 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Dec 20, 2010

Adamantium83 wrote:
Not too mention... you absolutely can't compete with the lap times of a car with skid recovery on. 

I really don't think this is true. I turned SR on and my lap times went up - I think there is some lag baked into the SR system at some point. Not to mention by the end of the laps I had developed some really awful driving habits.

Message 13 of 46 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
870 posts

Dec 20, 2010

animal84 wrote:

Sorry but while i see where you're coming from, its wrong. Cars dont recover from a skid themselves and not as quickly. In all honesty, i prefer knowing that its just me handling my Cizeta V16Ts 5500-6400rpm torque curve even though 2nd and 3rd are utterly treacherous at those rpm levels. Its hard to use on sport hards but i wouldnt have it any other way. There's something to be said about you controlling your car and not having a sort of nanny babying the car for you.

Lastly, i use the analog stick for steering and you can really control the car with more degrees of Control, counter steering etc etc. Its not a wheel but they work pretty well in the mean time.

+1  1000% Agreed.

Come on Sony catch up online already, I'll pay you $4 a month to make it better, and ASM is for wussy drivers.
Message 14 of 46 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5105 posts

Dec 20, 2010

metal0130 wrote:

Rated-M3 wrote:

metal0130 wrote:

I hate to even ask, but what does skid recovery DO exactly? I drive with all aids off and ABS on 1 and only used skid recovery when I took over a race from a friends game who had it turned on - I didn't even notice anything?

Just like TCS, it f's with your gas causing you to spin out.

So skid 'recovery' makes you spin out? how does that make any sense?

I dont know what he means, must be sarcastic...i tried SR by accident...and it made all cars have much higher limits. Something akin to more arcadish racers.
Message 15 of 46 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6872 posts

Dec 20, 2010

xeno--1 wrote:

Compare the handling of a RUF BTR vs. a RUF RGT - both RR layouts, but the BTR is much more prone to tail spin then the RGT. I believe PD have acurately modeled the advances in the handling dynamics which occured between the two cars, and part of the fun for me is learning how to drive these different kinds of cars at different speeds.

I love the Porsches so I have both of these cars... thing is, even with Skid recovery on there is a great deal of difference between the BTR and the RGT... you still have to learn how to handle them individually. 

Message 16 of 46 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6872 posts

Dec 20, 2010

xeno--1 wrote:

I really don't think this is true. I turned SR on and my lap times went up - I think there is some lag baked into the SR system at some point. Not to mention by the end of the laps I had developed some really awful driving habits.

Of all my time trials... I can't come close to matching lap times with SR off compared to when it's on. 

And in racing online... if I'm in a room that allows Skid Recovery on I often get people asking how I'm going so much faster with a similar or sometimes the exact same car and while it would probably be more fun to just say I'm better  ... realistically it's because they are driving with no skid recovery.

Also... I raced Porsche Cayman's on a road course once and maybe it's just because they are so balanced but they behaved much more like a SR car than one without it. I never came close to spinning that car.

Message 17 of 46 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
146 posts

Dec 20, 2010
I guess the QUESTION IS - what does SR do for you? it seems like most of us here are still scratching our heads. I know its tied with the Anti Lock Brakes, but exactly what does it do? Is it a "real" mechanism installed in the "real" cars? i always thought this was just another GT5 gizmo for the unskilled.
Message 18 of 46 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6872 posts

Dec 20, 2010

All I know... is on the whole... my lap times at Deep Forest are about 1 second slower with any car I use when I shift it from to

There isn't a HUGE difference with it on or off... but it allows you to eliminate SOME excess tire spinning which results in quicker acceleration out of corners and faster lap times.

Message 19 of 46 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
140 posts

Dec 20, 2010

Adamantium83 wrote:

Of all my time trials... I can't come close to matching lap times with SR off compared to when it's on. 

And in racing online... if I'm in a room that allows Skid Recovery on I often get people asking how I'm going so much faster with a similar or sometimes the exact same car and while it would probably be more fun to just say I'm better  ... realistically it's because they are driving with no skid recovery.

Also... I raced Porsche Cayman's on a road course once and maybe it's just because they are so balanced but they behaved much more like a SR car than one without it. I never came close to spinning that car.

Well Caymans are MR so they will have a much higher natural limit then RR cars like the RGT and BTR/CTR. Try out a RUF 3400S in game, it's based on the last generator boxster but will probably be the closest RUF in handling to the Cayman you drove.

Message 20 of 46 (20 Views)
0 Likes