Nov 09 2012
By: Wanda_Lust Splicer 90 posts

Seasonal Races

27 replies 395 views Edited Nov 9, 2012

The latest seasonal races have not been as much fun for me lately. I spend more time working on chassis setup and engine tuning than racing, not to mention "Comfort Soft" tires. Is there actually a Racing series that race on these tires?  They should call them "Follow the leader".

Message 1 of 28 (395 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
90 posts

Re: Seasonal Races

Nov 9, 2012

Side Note: I've started NFS Shift again.

Message 2 of 28 (388 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Nov 9, 2012

Wanda_Lust wrote:

The latest seasonal races have not been as much fun for me lately. I spend more time working on chassis setup and engine tuning than racing, not to mention "Comfort Soft" tires. Is there actually a Racing series that race on these tires?  They should call them "Follow the leader".

I understand your pain!. I took me a while to get quick at racing these events. I think the key to racing quickly on street (low traction) tires is "smooth". Drive your car like a "K" car and keep momentum going at all times. Smooth on the gas, smooth on the brakes and smooth transitions. Hit the correct lines and don't overdrive the car. These races will actually help you get quicker if you let them. Every race is beatable. Car selection is important as competing cars at particular PP levels are far from equal.

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Message 3 of 28 (362 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Nov 9, 2012

yes, focus on being smooth, and fast will come.  then take that to your racing tires too and you'll be surprised.  something you cannot learn by just racing with race slicks all the time...

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 4 of 28 (358 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
373 posts

Nov 9, 2012

GT5 is out for a good time now, the seasonal events became harder since most racers are faster. I guess the last series might be hard for new racers, though I'm not saying your noob to GT. Just that they are not so hard and racing with tire restrictions is the only reason why I do the seasonal events, otherwise, and I already said that in another thread, I find the challenge boring and not really fun, by this I mean everyone can win with racing soft.

If it can encourage you, you'll become better and faster without feeling it. Best example is licenses are easier with time, if you practice regularly of course.

One trick everyone knows now, remove all helps and assists, even ABS I say.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 28 (349 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

Nov 9, 2012

No one would race on comfort soft tires.  Does anyone have the "GO" to car and a good tune/setup for The Clubman Route 5 (backwards) ?  If yes, could you please post it?  I have been a staunch supporter of Sony/PD//GT5 since 2008 and frankly this nonsense with the tires we have had to use lately is getting me frustrated.   If they are going to keep doing this why not give us a choice of which tires we can use and lower the credits awarded for using the better tires?  Not all of us are experts and running the same race 30 times only get me more frustrated.  This is going to be unpopular but the only enjoyment I get out of GT5 any more is online and doing the seasonals.  With the crappy tires we have to use on the Seasonals I am getting bored.  I have had at least a dozen friends quit playing GT5 because of the tires we have to use and a bucket load of glitches.   I am seriously considering going to the crap box where some of my friends have gone and trying Forza.  That's my opinion and I respect yours.  I have made a lot of good friends on this forum and on line but enough is enough.  I fully expect to get flamed but at least consider my position.    Smiley Sad

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.
Message 6 of 28 (338 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Nov 9, 2012

zee... read my post above...

that's all the answer you should need...

it's not like kids soccer where everyone gets a trophy just for participation.  most of the time the tire matches the type of car used in the seasonals anyway.  I don't see what the uproar is about.

for instance, there is a new 700pp Race Car time trial where you have to use Racing Hards.  Sure, they could have made it a bit easier with meds or softs, but that's not what the TT's are for... easy.  I can tell you that I am learning a lot about how to tune a differential and how to use throttle correctly by having to use racing hards than I would if they just gave me softs.

700pp is a lot for racing hards... but why do people feel they are entitled to push the throttle down all the way as soon as they feel they are finished with a corner?  The thing is, if you spin out, you're actually not ready for full throttle yet.  Don't just blame the tire.  Learn to wait another .5 seconds to put that foot down.  It's a lot easier than you might think.

if you get grippy tires all the time, what people do is try a TT and then go "oh man I must need a different tune cuz everyone is 15 seconds faster than me!" but actually it's the driving more than anything else.

there are really important driving & tuning techniques that PD are trying to teach you by forcing the more difficult tire.  but not all races are this difficult anyway.

Message 7 of 28 (332 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
373 posts

Nov 9, 2012
Well comfort tires equal the default tires that come with any new cars in real life, isn't it? Soft would mean sports tires like default ones on a Civic SI. So for me it makes sense and is pretty realistic since I currently have a Honda Civic, 2006 actually, and not SI. But I must say racing with the mandatory specs at this seasonal events is pretty close to reality and, again, fun. It's what we're all looking for, no? Having fun. No need to win everything. Just know that it's doable and actually not so hard. Really.

Now, if you're upset because you can't beat it, maybe you should take a break. But you know that the other games out there won't give you that challenge.

So yes, it's hard, but rewarding too. That's why it's fun.
Also, fan since 2008 bro, really? You know that you're young in the big GT familly, right? So it's why us, older fan, want better challenges. If you would play GT since the first, you won't argue here since you would beat all of them in few tries only. There are easy seasonal events, do them. But let us, older fan, the other challenges, with tires restrictions and lower PP, pleeeeease! =)
Message 8 of 28 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Nov 9, 2012

most cars' tires could probably be termed as "comfort" tires when brand new from a real life dealership... but some like My Evo 8 would have come with a really sticky sports tire, so I say a sports medium or soft, but the game gives Evos comfort softs by default.

Some cars aren't matched up perfectly, but yes many cars are just fine on comforts.

but really, some people are complaining about 415pp civics on comfort softs?

415pp?????

I think this really underscores a true philosphical problem with some racers/gamers... they feel they are entitled to 100% completion of everything in a game.  But there are some things that each of us cannot currently achieve.  What GT5 does is force you to accept that you are a 3rd or 4th place finisher and be okay with that, or coerce you into improving yourself.

But the bar IS raised quite high.  No entitlement here.  No "bamma cell phone" either.  You have to work at it, and not just a little.  You have to want it and want it bad.  That's the point.  Kaz is introducing a philosphy to you, and that understandably is foreign to some people.

Some people say, "well what about those of us who can't do this thing?", to which I say "You can do those races, you may just not finish first".  If that person cannot accept anything less than first, then have a choice...

blame PD or try to figure out what makes someone else able to pass the test and you can't.  If you choose the latter of those, you can study faster racers and figure a lot out... that's what I did.

Message 9 of 28 (321 Views)
Highlighted
Splicer
90 posts

Nov 9, 2012

Very good points on all accounts. I think mostly my car won't turn the way I think it should. I have the speed and experience since I've played the GT series since PS2 days. Now I'm thinking. "Why did i get rid of my PS2? Oh there was another racing game for PS2 titled Moto GP with racing bikes. I loved that 1 too. I'll keep trying. I'm not 1 to just say heck with that. No pain, no gain. Learn from mistakes and move forward....QUICKLY!

Message 10 of 28 (313 Views)