Wastelander
907 posts

Re: Seasonal Events New Year's Holidy Challenge

Dec 21, 2012

BANG_N_OLUFSEN wrote:

I ran the weider Honda at Suzuka and won by 15 sec. RS, then Intermediate for 2 laps. I used the FT565 and won at Nurburgring by 22 sec. Intermediates then RH for 2 laps. Don't get caught out on the wrong tires at the Ring or you are toast.  All the racing I can afford tonight as I must be on the road by 5:00am.

The weider Honda worked great at Suzuka.

On Spa, I decided to give the 4WD idea a try and used the GTR 35 TC.  I first tried softs, but it rained the whole time.  So I restarted using rain tires.  I passed the leader by the end of 5 laps and was 1:30 ahead at the end and had lapped several cars.

On the Ring, I stuck with the 4WD idea and used the GTR Black.  The first time I tried with rain tires and it didn't start raining until the second half of the race.  By then my rain tires were completely worn down.  So I retried with softs and had no problems, passing the leader about 1/3 of the way into the last lap.

All that is left is the time trial, and that is going to be a bit of a challenge.  This may be one of those cars/cases where you should use a notch or two of TCS.

I wonder if the rain patterns are the same for every race?

Photobucket
Message 31 of 112 (432 Views)
I Only Post Everything
966 posts

Re: Seasonal Events New Year's Holiday Challenge

Dec 21, 2012

2005 Toyota YellowHat YMS Supra #35 (fully broken in) for Suzuka Circuit with Racing Softs. 

• Race started with 0% moisture but increased throughout the race.  Minimal grip in the last 3 laps (tires have cooled down too much).   Finished with 20+ seconds ahead of 2nd place Nissan Xanavi Nismo Z.

Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo (fully broken in) for Nürburgring Nordschleife with Racing Softs (May try Racing Hard sometime). 

• Race started with 20% moisture, dropped all the way to 0%, then started to increase again by middle of lap 2.  However, there are still plenty of grip left throughout the race.  If you run Intermediates Tires, you have to be careful for the 2nd half of the 3rd lap.  I was not able to finish the race with Intermediates Tires in this car as there were no tires left by the time I approached Pflanzgarten.  Finished with 25 seconds (with 1 major off) ahead of the 2nd place Amuse S2000 GT1 in the first try, and 22 seconds in the second try (more rain in the second try for some reason).

1989 Toyota Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car #36 (fully broken in) for Spa-Francochamps with Intermediates Tires  (May be full rain tires?)

• Race started with 30% moisture on the road, went all the way up to 91% at lap 8.  Very slippery at around lap 7 onwards.  Finished with 20 seconds (with 2 spins across a "river" at Campus?) ahead of the Pescarolo Courage C60.

I am having all kinds of problems with the Corvette with crappy tires and could not finish without DQ'ing my time after many tries last night.  Will try the Corvette on Nordschleife again with a fresh start later today.

photo d58a8f35-0ed4-4d38-b0a5-3fd612962a2f_zps9243b7ef.png
Message 32 of 112 (406 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1071 posts

Dec 21, 2012
Yeah! I am off today and look forward to finishing these challenges. I love reading everyone's experience regarding their tryouts and outcomes.
Numbskuld, is it just me or has TPRA helped you in your abilities on track and detailed knowledge of approach and set up? Please, this is not a sarcastic observation at all. Either me being gone for awhile or I just never paid attention to your more detailed postings which I haven't noticed before. It might be me?
" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 33 of 112 (388 Views)
Wastelander
907 posts

Dec 21, 2012

NumbSkuld wrote:

2005 Toyota YellowHat YMS Supra #35 (fully broken in) for Suzuka Circuit with Racing Softs. 

• Race started with 0% moisture but increased throughout the race. 

Amuse S2000 GT1 Turbo (fully broken in) for Nürburgring Nordschleife with Racing Softs (May try Racing Hard sometime). 

• Race started with 20% moisture, dropped all the way to 0%, then started to increase again by middle of lap 2.  

1989 Toyota Minolta Toyota 88C-V Race Car #36 (fully broken in) for Spa-Francochamps with Intermediates Tires  (May be full rain tires?)

• Race started with 30% moisture on the road, went all the way up to 91% at lap 8. 

That sounds like the exact weather conditions I had, so perhaps it is the same for everyone - or, if not, there are a limited number of variations.  You are right.  The time trial looks to be the most challenging of the series.

Photobucket
Message 34 of 112 (382 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1602 posts

Dec 21, 2012

NumbSkuld wrote:

• Race started with 0% moisture but increased throughout the race.  Minimal grip in the last 3 laps (tires have cooled down too much).   Finished with 20+ seconds ahead of 2nd place Nissan Xanavi Nismo Z.

• Race started with 20% moisture, dropped all the way to 0%, then started to increase again by middle of lap 2.  However, there are still plenty of grip left throughout the race.  If you run Intermediates Tires, you have to be careful for the 2nd half of the 3rd lap.  I was not able to finish the race with Intermediates Tires in this car as there were no tires left by the time I approached Pflanzgarten.  Finished with 25 seconds (with 1 major off) ahead of the 2nd place Amuse S2000 GT1 in the first try, and 22 seconds in the second try (more rain in the second try for some reason).

• Race started with 30% moisture on the road, went all the way up to 91% at lap 8.  Very slippery at around lap 7 onwards.  Finished with 20 seconds (with 2 spins across a "river" at Campus?) ahead of the Pescarolo Courage C60.

I am having all kinds of problems with the Corvette with crappy tires and could not finish without DQ'ing my time after many tries last night.  Will try the Corvette on Nordschleife again with a fresh start later today.

How in the world did you manage to use the Toyota 88C-V in the Spa-Francorchamps race if the car has more than 700 PP? Wouldn't it restrict you from using that vehicle for the race?

photo metakraken_redbull_final_500_zps9ce1f6ed.png

Message 35 of 112 (364 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
863 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 21, 2012

How in the world did you manage to use the Toyota 88C-V in the Spa-Francorchamps race if the car has more than 700 PP? Wouldn't it restrict you from using that vehicle for the race?

The proper use of ballast and/ or engine detuning work wonders!

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Message 36 of 112 (359 Views)
MVP Support
43003 posts

Dec 21, 2012

Once you get a handle on tbe C7, you should get through the time trial pretty easily. It may take a few disqualifications to figure out the tires and braking points, but most of you should beat this one in a couple of complete laps.

If you can manage the races, this one should be easy.

Message 37 of 112 (338 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1038 posts

Dec 21, 2012
What kind of tires are on the C7 for the time trial? And what time is needed?
 photo GTsats5FinaleWinner_zps4faa2658.png
Message 38 of 112 (329 Views)
Lombax Warrior
145 posts

Dec 21, 2012

Sport Hards, 7'40 for Gold, 8'10 for Silver, 8'40 for Bronze

Message 39 of 112 (323 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1606 posts

Dec 21, 2012

"jaejsteele" Thank's and Kudos M8, an "buzbuz33" I'm going to try the weider later to day. Thanks'

Photobucket
Message 40 of 112 (314 Views)
0 Likes