I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Re: Seasonal Event NR-A Roadster Cup

Feb 2, 2013

clacksman wrote:

edit: and without the SRF this might be the best seasonal yet.  I don't know what the lap time difference would be switching SRF on/off.

I haven't tried it with this seasonal's spec / tracks yet but I did do a couple of quick comparision tests with the previous Compact Car seasonal which also had SRF forced on.  Might not sound like much but I was a good 1.5 seconds or more per lap slower without SRF when trying seasonal tracks in Practice Mode, with SRF on the car would understeer much less and I could get on the power much sooner.  Mind you that was with an FF car ( I used the Renault Megane 2.0 IDE standard car).

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 31 of 88 (760 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Feb 2, 2013

DaletonaDave wrote:

dutchdmax wrote:

I'm just thinking, of all the "this is way too hard" comments that may have cropped up had PD set the srf to off. Remember the lambos on N-ring?
PD is doing the best they can to balance the difficulty of these, sometimes they are harder than others, and you can't get the difficulty so it is perfectly hard for everyone. Some will find it too easy and some will find it too hard, then for some of us it will be just right....OK Goldilocks?

IMO, the best thing PD could do to please the most people is to make the SRF optional. Then it can be used if the person thinks they need it, or isn't an "expert". I mean it's not like there are leaderboards for it, that can be manipulated by using it.

Giving the player the option is the right idea  to make it more challenging.  We already are able to increase the challenge,  and many do,  engine limiter,  different tires,  whatever it takes to make it fun for you.   I do see the point about expert races using beginner aids.  perhaps they should use a different approach. with the same resulting difficulty.  srf off and one level higher tires,  or lower the req. pp. Then the stigma of using beginner aids would be nullified.
and on that bombshell.....
Message 32 of 88 (754 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45631 posts

Feb 2, 2013

dutchdmax wrote:
these seasonal seem to be quite easy for some. and obviously a lot harder for others.
personally, my driving skills are improving to the point where these are very doable, 50% of the time I get them first try, usually when I know the track and can run clean fast laps. the rest of the time though it takes 3,4,or 5 times.
so to all you very fast guys, the ones who are usually near the top of the time sheets, having srf on for some of these, is quite necessary for us normal run'o the mill drivers, It would indeed be challenging for me to win these without srf, I would love to try, to push myself further towards improvement. and I may try to go to the a-spec race and see if I can set something similar, or in arcade one make races, this would be fun

i'm just thinking, of all the "this is way too hard" comments that may have cropped up had PD set the srf to off. remember the lambos on N-ring?
PD is doing the best they can to balance the difficulty of these, sometimes they are harder than others, and you cant get the difficulty so it is perfectly hard for everyone. some will find it too easy and some wil find it too hard, then for some of us it will be just right.....ok Goldilocks?

I did the Indy track first because I wanted to see for myself just how difficult this was going to be be. I thought a "simple" track would expose that best. Beating it in one attempt didn't help me at all. All I did was use typical out-in-out and drafting technics and I finished about 1.6 seconds ahead.

However, one thing that clearly stands out is how PD have to plan their "rabbit" AI, to block you in certain corners. If you are ready for that and maybe set some goal markers when you run up against a tough event, then you will do better at Indy and London, probably Eifel, too, more than at Trail Mountain and Suzuka. I spent most of my Eifel effort just learning the track. BTW, there is one section in it that instantly reminded me of the Shanghai F1 track.

I also think that Eifel without SRF would be pretty tough in this car, on Eifel only, so I am glad you spoke up about it. It's harder to be calm on this track while learning it. Some sections either make you unbalance the car or throw some tight corners at you. The vertical changes un/load the suspension, too, and I think it would oversteer in most of our hands without SRF, but without the option to test this, it is just a guess.

Making SRF option does solve this problem, which makes me wonder why they have done this. It isn't the first time and, it seems, it won't be the last. But, as usual, I'd still like to know the real reason why they force a driver's aid on in an expert event.

Message 33 of 88 (748 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1751 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2013

Well with my MX-5 Miata 1.8 RS (NB, J) '98 with 14,775.0 miles I got me first on the indy track and tha last kart track. The only track left is the London track. I only got 2nd.

Here's my car and driving options settings an spec settings.

Max Power  182 HP    Weight  1030 kg    PP 380

Engine:  ECU Tuning       Power limiter 81.6%

Intake System  Sport intake      Sport air filter

Exhaust    Standard Exhaust Man     Sport Cat     Titanium Race Muffler

Supercharger added

Transmission  Fully custom        Twin Plate cluch   Semi Race flywheel     Adj LSD  and  Carbon DS

Suspension    Fixed Sport Kit  

Brakes settings 8/8

An you know the tires.

Trans gear set:             Top Speed 153 mph

1st Gear   3.687          2nd Gear    2.245

3rd Gear  1.604           4th Gear    1.248

5th Gear  1.021           6th Gear     0.839

Final Gear  3.957

Top Speed 137

Photobucket
Message 34 of 88 (742 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45631 posts

Feb 2, 2013

At London, be ahead of the blocker at the last left of the second lap. If you can do that and keep the same pace going for the other laps, you should win the event.

Message 35 of 88 (739 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Making the Seasonal start out with such a deficit that you may need SRF to win still kind of misses the point of an 'Expert' seasonal.

As with other 'expert' level races, surely leaving SRF off and pacing the rabbit so that the race CAN be won without the kiddie aid is the correct way to do it?

Message 36 of 88 (734 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1751 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Just turn your TCS to 0% the should equel things out for you folks that don't like the SRF on.

Photobucket
Message 37 of 88 (731 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Feb 2, 2013

White_R34 wrote:

Just turn your TCS to 0% the should equel things out for you folks that don't like the SRF on.

Actually it won't, TCS and SRF work in completely different ways and don't achieve the same effect.  The test I mentioned above with the previous seasonals I did without Traction Control (I almost always have it set on 0), where TC limits the throttle input to help prevent the tires from spinning under acceleration SRF creates or increases grip out of thin air.

The only way you could really hope to counteract SRF might be to run on less grippy tires, but even that's nott an equal or perfect solution.

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 38 of 88 (722 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Feldynn wrote:

clacksman wrote:

edit: and without the SRF this might be the best seasonal yet.  I don't know what the lap time difference would be switching SRF on/off.

I haven't tried it with this seasonal's spec / tracks yet but I did do a couple of quick comparision tests with the previous Compact Car seasonal which also had SRF forced on.  Might not sound like much but I was a good 1.5 seconds or more per lap slower without SRF when trying seasonal tracks in Practice Mode, with SRF on the car would understeer much less and I could get on the power much sooner.  Mind you that was with an FF car ( I used the Renault Megane 2.0 IDE standard car).

Okay so let's say it's a little under 1 second per lap difference at Indy (a simpler track).  That just-under-three seconds difference over the three lap race would make it legitimately difficult without SRF.  Considering the typical difficulty of GT5, that would make it more than highly likely that this was designed specifically for/with SRF and not inadvertently.

Again., SRF locked on is nonsense, even if the word 'expert' wasn't in the descriptive text.  Someone (can't multiquote or see thread while I'm in reply) mentioned assists could change rewards - the other game has done exactly that for multiple versions - and it's a good way to encourage reducing assists to play.  A few % increase in payouts for taking off SRF/ASM/TCS/ABS/etc will teach a lot more people than any forum.

Message 39 of 88 (711 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 2, 2013

That's a great point, clacksman. Greater payouts the fewer aids.

And anyway, honestly... who would do the MX-5 challenge with TCS on anyway? TC was only an option on some NC models, so most of them don't have it IRL anyway.

Bottom line, all PD needed to do was make the rabbit JUST beatable with no aids, and this would have been an 'Expert' challenge. As is, it's another insult. So, OK, ritual disembowelment might be hyperbole! But surely someone at PD ought to be paying attention to the big details, let alone the small ones. This is sloppy work, no matter how you feel about SRF. It makes a mockery of the 'Expert' designation.

Message 40 of 88 (726 Views)
0 Likes