Limit Breaker
21008 posts

Re: Save Our Save Files!

Nov 22, 2010

choochie49 wrote:

Super_Vegeta1986 wrote:

choochie49 wrote:

I referred to an external HD

Oh.   so if I had say an external HDD connected via USB, i wouldn't be able to save my game files in the same manner I just did with my IPOD?   DAMN!  That sucks, I didn't know that was a feature that was removed.

I've backed up many times, an only found out certain files were backed up

same, for example when I was back up my games to my IPOD today, i found out that Sonic 4 "Episode 1" cannot be backed-up because the file is copy protected.   WHY?!    *sigh*

There was another game that I wasn't able to back up either, that suprirsed me, but I forgot, i'll have to check again later.

Message 71 of 148 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
288 posts

Nov 22, 2010

Pyro6000 wrote:

FatLeadFoot wrote:

Not my day 1 or probably yours if you're getting the game on release day but for others that buy the game, say a year from now. I'm sure their intent is to provide years of playability being that it takes 5 years to develop. I said what I have to say and I'm definitely not going to split hairs with you of all people. I'm done.

It doesn't matter if someone a year from now downloads a 100% gamesave. The only person they can hurt is themselves. It provides no advantage in online gameplay, so it doesn't matter.

If that's what PD is afraid of, they really need to get over it and realize that copy-protecting a save does more harm than "good".

Anyway, back on topic. SONY should really take the "cloud" idea as reference for storing save files because paying $60+ dollars on a game knowing that you wont have total control over your save files is completely idiotic.

Message 72 of 148 (6 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1347 posts

Nov 22, 2010

First I would love an online backup/restore for plus members. Only reason I see them limiting this feature to Plus members is the cost of storage and such.  But, I still think they should make a backup/restore utility for everyone that just manages game saves that requires an active PSN account to validate it is being restored to same account holder. I fee that Sony should make this since they created the the problem by allowing developers to copy protect the game saves. But, the developer could make it for there games even.. just a new in game menu open to save to ext device.

MastrGT wrote:

GTP_KARTRACER wrote:

Dosen't the system backup save game files?

How and where, though?

It is only does (or allows) a back up to the same drive, what happens if your drive dies?

Whole drive back-ups may work, but you would be required to have a large HDD to make it work.

There are problems with nearly every way to consider making a back-up.

From my experience its not the drive changing that prevents the restore of copy protected content but the console as a whole. I've made backups that included copy protected data, replaced the drive in my console and restore the data without a problem. But when I made the backup before sending the unit in for warranty repair I got a different console back the restore process excluded copy protected content.
I really need to test a new backup plan and see if it works....
  • Backup game system to ext drive.
  • transfer data from game system to backup PS3 system (copy protected content is copied to backup system and deleted from game system during the process.
  • restore back up made before transfer to game system. (idea is that because the console is the one from the backup the copy protected stuff is restored)
As you can see the problem is that you need 2 consoles on hand and it will take a lone time to do. But still likely to be less time than working back through S license.

johaen88 wrote:

I had a PS3 breakdown on me, and I used an external drive for backups. All my saves transfered to the new PS3. That's the whole point of the backup function.

Can you confirm that you had copy protected content in that backup and that it was restored to a new console?

_____Still want my OtherOS support____________
Sony needs to understand that PS3 3.21 FW provides no security fix. They are only hurting those that have a legitimate use for Linux on the PS3 and also use it for the other functions it was designed to do. Linux stayed on mine until I received RB3 as a gift. I refused to buy a new console to retain all the features my console could do prior to April 1st 2010. I have bought 2 broken 60G units and fixed them for running Linux again.
Message 73 of 148 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3351 posts

Nov 23, 2010

Crap, thats going to sting me because i am supposed to upgrade my HDD next month! Shoot, i better not play it too much...

Been here since 2005!
My new username for playstation network is: keybladehunter, lol should of used it as my username hit me up!
GAP MEMBER! BABY!
777 posts on July 10, 2008 Talk about lucky day!
w00t Rank 08/28/08 W00t
"Im just a Day Tripper!" 09/09/09!
Capcom-unity is the home of Street Fighter!

Message 74 of 148 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
619 posts

Nov 23, 2010

Can you confirm that you had copy protected content in that backup and that it was restored to a new console?

I can confirm that. I had many copy protected games I needed to back up when I had to re-partition my HDD to get rid of Linux.

Edit:  UPDATE!!: A new patch allows us to back up our save files however we want them to. http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Series/GT5-HAS-NO
W-WENT-LIVE/m-p/46440428/highlight/...

Daniel299 Signature

Message 75 of 148 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4679 posts

Nov 23, 2010
Thank you for reopening this. It is a very necessary discussion IMO.
Message 76 of 148 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12787 posts

Nov 23, 2010

It appears that with the patch v1.01 the backup option has been enabled, plus the online servers up. The patch was 133 MB which may of been part of the file required to get online... dunno, no ones confirmed as of yet

Message 77 of 148 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21008 posts

Nov 23, 2010

Daniel299 wrote:

I can confirm that. I had many copy protected games I needed to back up when I had to re-partition my HDD to get rid of Linux.

Edit:  UPDATE!!: A new patch allows us to back up our save files however we want them to. http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Series/GT5-HAS-NO
W-WENT-LIVE/m-p/46440428/highlight/...

Seriously?   HELL YES!

Message 78 of 148 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
13 posts

Nov 23, 2010
Bad news. The new patch does not remove the copy protection of the save, I tried. I hope that will be resolved to soon...
Message 79 of 148 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
435 posts

Nov 23, 2010

Sorry guys, I thought I had posted here. I tried and it told me cannot do it, file is copy-protected. You can copy replay files though.

EMPIRE STATE OF MIND
Message 80 of 148 (6 Views)
0 Likes