I Only Post Everything
1090 posts

Re: Returning to GT5, encountered problem

Jan 22, 2013
Holy Carp Batman! What is going on with all these darn glitches? What a drag!
" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 21 of 28 (227 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2967 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2013

dookiecat wrote:

Left the 8GB install on overnight, and it's still at about 1/6th finished after 12 hours.  Giving up on that, and moving on to seeing if the re-installed updates will work.

Thanks for the update.
It would be great to know if/when the updates are done, and if everything now works as normal.

But the HDD install problem raises a bit of a red flag in the 'geek in me'.

I am wondering if there is perhaps an issue with the hard drive itself....

They dont always appear to show up in different games, sometimes it is mere chance that a game will go to write data to a section of the drive with bad sectors that has not been written on before, or that has been OVER written on before. But these things are often not obvious at the outset, leaving people to look in the wrong place for a fix.

Has your PS3 asked you fairly recently to scan and repair drive when booting up?

And.. is the unit clean and free of dust buildup?

Message 22 of 28 (217 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jan 22, 2013

nuTTTz wrote:

Has your PS3 asked you fairly recently to scan and repair drive when booting up?

And.. is the unit clean and free of dust buildup?

Not recently, but yes, it used to ask me to scan/repair the drive a few times a week.  And its been cleaned in the past month or so, but its far from dust free

The updates are 91% complete, so we'll see how that works, results coming soon.

I'm grasping at straws here, and am purchasing a Blu Ray lens/drive cleaner later today. Will report results.

Message 23 of 28 (212 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jan 22, 2013

Updates just finished, installed the DLC, just uploaded my backup save and......

I'm stuck on a black GT screen with "Installing" flashing in the lower right corner. No flashing/lit yellow/orange PS3 indicator light

Message 24 of 28 (209 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45127 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2013

If an install acts like this, my first recommendation would be to delete the install and start over. Sometimes players have had to redo installs more than once.

Since this most recent problem involved the 8 Gb of data, do the normal install, play GT5, then install the 8 Gb first, before doing the later updates. At this point, play GT5 and check for problems again. If after the 8 Gb is installed you have a problem, then we have a more recognizable point of trouble.

Message 25 of 28 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
15 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2013

Will attempt to reinstall the game after I get my Blu Ray cleaner later this afternoon. Can't hurt, right?  

I also restored my HDD via the internal PS3 menu(not sure what the real name for this menu is, but yall know what I mean I hope). It DID say the HDD had corrupt files, but that it would be restored after it did its thing.  Rebooted GT5 and still got stuck at the black GT screen

Again, all of your help, each one of you, is much appreciated and I will continue to update, if not for myself but for others who may encounter a similar problem

Thanks

Edit--will the fact that I'm in a DLC car effect anything as far as uploading my save?

Message 26 of 28 (200 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45127 posts

Jan 22, 2013

If you are actually being affected by the 2.10 update bug, DLC can affect the recovery process.

Message 27 of 28 (190 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jan 22, 2013

One more question....I'm not too interested in and don't play online, so would I be able to skip the updates altogether and still upload my backup save, redeem my DLC, and go from there?

Message 28 of 28 (185 Views)
0 Likes