Nov 25 2012
By: Deaucalion1969 First Son 1 posts

Possessed steering wheel with my G27

18 replies 326 views Edited Nov 25, 2012

Hi all.

This is my first time here. I just bought a G27, and when playing GT5, my wheel has a mind of its own.

Any help correcting this?

Thank you.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 19 (326 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
942 posts

Re: Possessed steering wheel with my G27

[ Edited ]
Nov 25, 2012

Deaucalion1969 wrote:

Hi all.

This is my first time here. I just bought a G27, and when playing GT5, my wheel has a mind of its own.

Any help correcting this?

In order for us to help you, you will need to provide significantly more details about the "wheel has a mind of its own".

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 19 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
942 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 25, 2012

Double post.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 19 (319 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
39935 posts

Nov 25, 2012

Welcome to the GT forum, Deaucalion1969!

Force feedback wheels don't feel like your real car's wheel. FFb is designed to send information about what your virtual car is doing to your brain, through your hands. It does this with resistance and "testing" for it, left then right, so you have to learn how to control the wheel and keep things "straight".

It won't take long, but you have to practice and pay attention for a few days, and you should be getting comfortable in about a week.

You have a good wheel and I hope that you enjoy it. If you need some practice with some humans, we have lots of events for you join.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 19 (307 Views)
Lombax Warrior
99 posts

Nov 25, 2012

Make sure that you have the wheel settings adjusted to your liking, Power sreering on /off and most importantly Force feedback settings.

My suggestion is to start low and work your way up to whatever is effective for your driving syle. You will notice a big diffference with power assist on or off so just keep playing with until you find the 'sweet spot" good luck and get into some events. That is the best "feedback " you can get!! CHEERS!

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 19 (285 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1435 posts

Nov 25, 2012

Limited information can lead to a very broad response.  

Is this your first time with a wheel?........ Hold on tight so the simulated input doesn't get away from you.

Been playing GT whith a controller ? .....Don't over turn. The controller and wheel are completely different, the controller compensates for oversteering but the wheel expects you to know the difference.

None of that is fact, just my observation, I hope you sorted it all out on your own.

Photobucket
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 19 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
7937 posts

Nov 26, 2012

yea... without knowing more about the symptoms, all we can do is speculate.  but thinking back to when I first got a wheel (DFGT) I can provide a helpful tip.  MGT said that the wheel is translating car behavior to your hands and that's exactly right.  I think newbies to wheels will assume (because other games do this) that Force Feedback will merely resist your push to either side when turning.  But actually, the feedback that GT gives the wheels, and the wheel gives your hands, is more.  Much More.  It gives you little bumps and pushes and pulls to tell you whether the car is happy or not.  If the steering feels very smooth, then you likely have a very well tuned car or a car that is just wonderful in stock form.

Try an M3 on the Nurburgring and you'll see what I mean...  It doesn't need to give you much feedback if you are turning the way the car wants you to.  Sure, you'll feel it, but the car's suspension is already customized for that track, so it does all the work and your arms don't have to resist what the car wants to do naturally.  It's already in that "sweet spot".

It's an equal and opposite reactions type thing.  If the car wants to fight you, you'll have to fight it back using the wheel, and that is something you will definitely feel through the FFB.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing Videos                                                      Photo Mode Pictures

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 19 (229 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
819 posts

Nov 27, 2012

I too had an issue a month ago with my G27 going crazy. I was getting ready for a race and needed to charge my DS3. I plugged it into the next USB port. The wheel went nuts as soon as I plugged it in and didn't stop until I unplugged the DS3 cable. I had never seen this happen before, but I experienced it first hand! For whatever reason, both devices were trying to take control at the same time!

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 19 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Record Breaker
942 posts

Nov 27, 2012

Just wondering if the OP has sorted the issue out by himself / herself.  It would be nice if he / she posted what the resolution is, so that it benefits everyone encountering whatever issues he / she has encountered with more details.  Oh well.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 19 (192 Views)
Record Breaker
7937 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

Bang, you could be right that the two controllers were competing for the #1 spot.  That may be a new bug, or only affecting some wheels.  I know that when my wheel is assigned to #1 my DS3 wants to automatically go to the #2 slot.  weird.

edit, I have a DFGT

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing Videos                                                      Photo Mode Pictures

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 19 (186 Views)
0 Likes