Highlighted
Dec 29 2011
By: BennyRabbit Hekseville Citizen 373 posts
Accepted Solution

Photo Mode: AE Lock

4 replies 290 views Edited Dec 29, 2010

Ok, I did search, here, in game, on the web, guess what, found nothing. But it's there, yep, with no explanation in any way, even in the CE booklet.

When on photo mode, in HD or replay, both, there's that option, L1 you know? that says AE Lock, I think.

Tried on and off, many times, see no difference.

Please, who knows what this feature is about?

Sorry if it's obvious, really, I can't figure out.

Thanks

Message 1 of 5 (290 Views)
First Son
9 posts

Re: Photo Mode: AE Lock

Dec 29, 2010

AE = Auto Exposure. Basically when you take a picture, the camera has a metering system that decides how much light comes onto the sensor and therefore what the exposure is (based on the aperture and shutter speed).

Having said that, in GT5, pictures are taken on some sort of auto function, and the aperture and shutter speed don't necessarily determine the expore, they are used only for determining the depth of field (F) and the motion blur (shutter speed). The exposure is beinng determined automatically based on thhe scene you are looking at.

So what AE lock does is keeps a set exposure even when recomposing the image.

As an example there are cases where there is a lot of bright sky in the image, the camera will expose for the bright sky, leaving the car as a dark silouette. What do you do in that situation, recompose the image having the car take as much of the viewfinder as it can, expose for that, lock it, then recompose it to the original. You will find that the car is properly exposed now with the sky being blown out most probably.

I hope I made myself clear, if not look at dslr tutorials on AE lock.

Message 2 of 5 (290 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1924 posts

Dec 29, 2010

now THAT is an answer!

awesome job!

My garage

http://www.mygranturismo.net/1724

Drafting? Draft this!

Message 3 of 5 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Dec 29, 2010

Great answer!

Message 4 of 5 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
373 posts

Dec 29, 2010

Awesome!

Thanks for clarifying this. That is a nice feature then, I'll give it a try in my new area I unblocked tonight.

Have a great day all!

Ben.

Message 5 of 5 (290 Views)
0 Likes