Oct 02 2012
By: Aviral66 Lombax Warrior 146 posts

Patches are so big I can't play multiplayer

17 replies 341 views Edited Oct 2, 2012

In GT5 Patches are so big I can't play multiplayer in open lobby I mean 1.5 GB updates with 1/6 They are so big any solution My ps3's download speed is slow can anybody please help me?

Message 1 of 18 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1621 posts

Re: Patches are so big I can't play multiplayer

Oct 2, 2012

PS3 have built in WiFi,  find a Loacal Hot spot and see if you can Download the Patch from the Hot spot.
So that's just one thought..

but if your Home Internet is that slow, then On-line play might be an issue.
Can anyone else chime in on what the Min. Internet speed is for On-Line Play?

Message 2 of 18 (325 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 2, 2012

Seems the only solution is take your PS3 where there is a fast internet connection to download the updates.  I would think that if your connection is too slow to download the updates then it's too slow to even race online with people.  I don't know of any other solution.  Don't you have a friend where you can take your PS3 to their house to do your update?

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 3 of 18 (320 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 2, 2012

do not use wi-fi to download and install updates.  that causes problems of some updates being corrupted.  it is also not recommended for you to use wi-fi as a way to play GT5 online, because the race quality will be poor.

as far as it taking too long to download or install, that's something we've all had to deal with.  it doesn't take so long that you can't wait for it.  go wash some dishes or do some laundry or something... you know, the things that you will probably put off once you get to play it finally?

j/k  good luck

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 4 of 18 (311 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44526 posts

Oct 2, 2012

Aviral66 wrote:

In GT5 Patches are so big I can't play multiplayer in open lobby I mean 1.5 GB updates with 1/6 They are so big any solution My ps3's download speed is slow can anybody please help me?

What do big / many update files have to do with playing multiplayer in open lobbies?

You can get one update at a time, gradually getting to the last one.

Taking your console to a friend's house is probably the most efficient way, time-wise.

Once you are updated, GT doesn't require much in connection speed, so you are good to go.

Message 5 of 18 (300 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 2, 2012

require speed? not necessarily, as I have a mediocre at best connection speed.

require reliability?  definitely.  you and others racing with you will have problems if your connection is not very reliable, as in you get disconnected frequently and lag around them.  Wireless causes this more so than wired connections do, so if you can possibly get a wired connection, You'll have a much better experience and so will those around you.

my 2 cents

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 6 of 18 (295 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28682 posts

Oct 2, 2012

You can also try setting up a proxy server, which will help speed up downloads. 

Message 7 of 18 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Oct 2, 2012
The XL Disc would also let you skip most of the updates, including all the big ones...

Why has noone else mentioned this?
Message 8 of 18 (270 Views)
Gaming Beast
1621 posts

Oct 3, 2012

do not use wi-fi to download and install updates.  that causes problems of some updates being corrupted.  it is also not recommended for you to use wi-fi as a way to play GT5 online, because the race quality will be poor.

I only ever connect Using WiFi and have never had an Issue with Updating or On-Line play.
I only have a wireless B/G router,  I don't have N router.

In fact every PC I own, my phone, my Tablet, my Kindle, My 3d Bluray, my 3D TV, all use WiFi and Not ever had a problem.
So My PS3 is also connected Via Wifi..

WiFi G is rated 54mbps,  That's 5 times faster then my 10mbps Internet connection to the Cable Modem.

So connecting with a 10/100/1000 hard wired cat6 cable won't make it any faster or more reliable.

My slowest wifi connection is 24mbps and that's 200 feet and 3 walls away from my router.

and that's more than fast enough compared to my 10mbps Internet speed.

I think what is Important, is who you are getting your service from.

If you have good reliable service to your Modem, then their shouldn't be any problems with Wired or Wireless

Message 9 of 18 (250 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44526 posts

Oct 3, 2012

Avoiding WiFi is a good, general prophylactic remedy for many PS3, even GT, problems.

Message 10 of 18 (246 Views)
0 Likes