Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Re: POSSIBLE UPDATE IDEAS

Jul 18, 2012

toejam9598 wrote:

I think they should create a way to build your engine with more detail. Like ignition timing change, injector pulse, injector size. Custom cam grinds, stroke, bore pistons headers size forced injection just to name a few. I think having it with more detail would mean that your car would be more of  " your own ". And maybe even motor swaps in the cars that you can interchange parts like ford and Chevy to name the main stream. Just a thought but I think it would make for more competitive racing and competitive match ups when it came to the Drag racing boys.... When ever they build a track made just for those special racers LOL.

i've had this thought as well, but there's a huge predicament that it creates...  though, I'm guessing this will not be seen by the poster... oh well, at least it's here for others to see.

if they allow complex tuning and modding of engines, in other words, real world "tuning" not just adding parts and hoping for the best, then it brings each car  into it's own realm.

PD tried to do something similar by having GT4 (or was it 3?) have different manufacturer parts for different cars.  that got messy, and created the need to know which parts can be fitted to which cars in real life situations.

similarly, if they allow tuning of engines, not just staged upgrades, then that opens up the need to know which engines can handle what types of changes, what can and cannot be done to each power plant.  sure, they can research this, but it would probably take each car's development time and multiply it by a factor of (N).

in other words, if they focus on extremely detailed performance figures for each engine, they are very likely to get a lot of it wrong, and then we'd just have real life tuners playing this game and trying to replicate what they can do in real life and complain that it isn't perfect.

we'd need dynos in the game.  we'd need humidity, barometric pressure, and temperature measurements in real-time for analysis.  most importantly, we'd need engine management systems that can be programmed in detail.

PD is capable of doing all of that, but not for 1000+ cars.  You'd have some that are fully tunable, and those that a ren't, leaving another gap between cars that can do a thing, and those that cannot.  It would be like RM's all over again.

If PD creates a simulator, a true simulator, with one manufacturer's cars, then perhaps they could manage getting it done on a handful of cars, but including that level of detail in a "game" and that means translating it to the masses...  gosh I just think about the fact that we couldn't even tune our transmissions until several months after the game's release.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 11 of 31 (208 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Jul 18, 2012
After 4 years of waiting for Gt to develop in to the online sim I always hoped it would be, and 1 week of Iracing, I am quite disappointed with how the online side of gran turismo has evolved.

I worked as hard as anyone at organizing racing in the vacuum left by Prologue's simple system, and I was patient with GT5 with its rudimentary lobby system, but having seen how it can be done within the interface if the game, I can no longer get by with the 3 or 4 good races a week I was able to get out of GT.

Iracings safety rating goes a long way towards making most every race one where you can have a fair amount if trust in your competitions desire to stay out if trouble. So much as two wheels off counts against your safety rating. Contact is a big nono. Because of this I can race 'in the wild' and have an enjoyable experience (unless it's short track oval). Since I can race in the wild I can race a lot more. It's been a breath of fresh air.

PD'a a long way behind, and the rate at which Iraing is developing I can't see GT ever catching up. I just about cried when one of the devs mentioned that they're working on online driver changes for endurance racing.

I love Gt, but Gt5 just doesn't work very well.
DriverSports.org
Message 12 of 31 (202 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jul 18, 2012

I really hope that Kaz personally reads that, because they need to get their butts in gear or lost a ton of market share.

Message 13 of 31 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1686 posts

Jul 18, 2012

I love GT5 the way it is. 

I wish there were more X1 or F1 (clean) races online though.  I'm tired of all the drag racing, nascar, and talk-sheet rooms ... but I guess if no one liked them then no one would be in them.  Clearly I'm out-voted on that situation.  Overall, the online community is a vast improvement over the old days of just running time-trials by myself.  It's hard to find a good race every now and then, but it's better than it was!!!!

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, birds and fast cars - the rest I just squandered." George Best
Message 14 of 31 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Jul 18, 2012

I think that's a symptom of trying to float around in the open lobby world.  only time I end up there is if a friend is racing there already.  then at least I know the room is controled by somoene with some self-respect.

I would start up your own F1 rooms and make it clear that you're happy to reset the race if you have to kick someone.

Message 15 of 31 (183 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Jul 18, 2012

ForgetfuI wrote:
After 4 years of waiting for Gt to develop in to the online sim I always hoped it would be, and 1 week of Iracing, I am quite disappointed with how the online side of gran turismo has evolved.

I worked as hard as anyone at organizing racing in the vacuum left by Prologue's simple system, and I was patient with GT5 with its rudimentary lobby system, but having seen how it can be done within the interface if the game, I can no longer get by with the 3 or 4 good races a week I was able to get out of GT.

Iracings safety rating goes a long way towards making most every race one where you can have a fair amount if trust in your competitions desire to stay out if trouble. So much as two wheels off counts against your safety rating. Contact is a big nono. Because of this I can race 'in the wild' and have an enjoyable experience (unless it's short track oval). Since I can race in the wild I can race a lot more. It's been a breath of fresh air.

PD'a a long way behind, and the rate at which Iraing is developing I can't see GT ever catching up. I just about cried when one of the devs mentioned that they're working on online driver changes for endurance racing.

I love Gt, but Gt5 just doesn't work very well.

Sounds like iRacing needs to provide everything for free, then the virtual racing world would be complete.Smiley Very Happy

I'm glad that you have this new love for iRacing, and I hope that the relationship works out. I really don't think that there is much chance of 7.4 million users switching to iRacing or Forza from GT5. You never know, thoughSmiley Wink

I am not saying that GT5 could not use some updates/ improvements. It just seems like you have developed a sour attitude towards Gran Turismo and Polyphony Digital. It shows in the tone of your posts lately, and that saddens me greatly...............

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 16 of 31 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Jul 19, 2012

You know the effort I've put in to GT since prologue, and you should have a pretty good idea of the kind of complexity and functionality I was hoping would one day come to GT's online game play, but after putting up with Prologue and waiting for updates to GT5, at this point I either have to believe that PD either has no interest in any kind of indepth online infrasturcture, or that it's all coming in a 'big fall update'. Smiley Frustrated I've heard too many empty promises and hollow excuses and 'we didn't even know that was a problem, or that fans wanted that', and I've seen too many updates come and go, leaving too many unaddressed issues, often causing more. In the meantime, while I've been busting my **bleep** to make racing work in GT, Iracing's been doing just about everything I'd been trying to incorporate in to the TRPA and DriverSports.

I'm not sour on PD, just disappointed at where they're at with their game right now. Their physics are great. The cars look amazing. The system in which we play the game is terrible. That said I realize now that they are just a normal console game production company. Whereas Iracing is a whole company dedicated to one sim program, PD is working on portable games, dealing with the consoles changing generations, the limitations of their parent company and so on. 

I still appreciate GT5 for what it is. Iracing will make you realize just how good GT5 looks, that's for sure, but that's such a minute factor when you're obsessed with racing like I am. GT5 just doesn't do a lot of the things a sim racer should, and I just can't  keep working as hard as I do for the little bit of racing that work manages to provide me with. I heard a voice inside me say...

Yes, Iracing costs more, but it's not unreasonable. At less than $0.30/day I get the racing sim I want (that's full price, I got 1/2 off my subscription and they have a lot of  promotions. Just racing in official events above rookie earns you up to $40 towards renewal)  I guess you get what you pay for. I mean, aren't we all clamouring for more DLC from PD? Shut up and take my money, a great man once said.

I'm not the typical Forza fan that came here to start a flame war. I'm a die hard GT fan, but....

Swerv, don't be sad. Be happy that I'm happier now that I can race properly and more often. I'll be the first in line for the next GT title, and if they do get GT5 better sorted it could very regain its place as my sim-of-choice, but right now they have a lot of work to do and I'm not waiting around for them.

DriverSports.org
Message 17 of 31 (155 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Jul 19, 2012

Forgetful, I am not trying to speak badly to you or about you. I do understand your disaapointment with Gran Turismo 5 and the companies that ultimately are responsible for it's production and maintanence.

You also must know that you are one of my best friends ever in the Online world, and that I think the world of you. You are wise beyond your years, and if the GT Community ever loses you as a supporter and advocate, we will all be poorer for the loss.

I checked out the prices on iRacing today. They do have a smikin' deal going on right now. Personally, I still can't justify the cost or the time that it would take me. I can see how it might benefit someone else though.............

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 18 of 31 (149 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44370 posts

Jul 19, 2012

Part of this dilema is that PD has to try to please a broader section of the population than iRacing or the other PC sims do. It's a different environment. Now you can argue that it doesn't have to be that way, but we aren't in the driver's seat so we continue to make the case that it doesn't.

Until PD realises that they can narrow GT's focus, then this is how it is. Making GT into a more dedicated to reality sim may be enough to pull players who wanted a more serious environment back into the GT console world.

Don't hold your breath for that to happen any time soon, though.

Message 19 of 31 (148 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Jul 19, 2012

Swerv, I understand your concern and I know you're not mad at me. It was a strange and nervous experience comitting to another sim considering the time I've invested with GT. I'm not abaonding GT and the reason I'm not just slinking off in silence is that I hope I can open some eyes to how limited GT5 currently is, and how much better it could be. I would suggest to anyone to try as many other sims as possible to get a better understanding of what else is possible. Keep GT close to your heart, as I will too, but you're not married to it and if we all have a better idea of what makes good racing games great, then as the collective fans of GT we'll be able to better communicate to PD what it is we want.

MasterGT, I don't feel like the things that are missing were left out on purpose. The sense I get is that given the time constraints they're seemingly contstantly up against that what we have now is what they were able to accomplish in the time given. Now that it's out there I would imagine they're working on a more indepth system, and if the currentl system keeps enough people happy, then that buys them the time they need to do it right... until SONY comes along and forces their schedule... again... GT4 was forced.... Prologue was forced... GTPSP was forced.... Even Kaz admits he wanted two more years for GT5... we're not there yet.

I read and post a few car sites, and the common complaints after lack of interesting DLC are usually about  the nested menu systems and limited online functions. But it's not like they need to copy Iracing word for word. They just need to get the fundamentals of organized racing and online gaming down pat, and they'll be right back in the mix.

DriverSports.org
Message 20 of 31 (143 Views)
0 Likes