Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Re: Online Community

Oct 28, 2012

You CAN do fine with a controller... But if you can afford it (a DFGT is just fine if money is tight) and you already drive IRL, you'll find the immersion and realism much greater with the wheel. Driving a car with a joystick simply puts you one level removed from reality, and as G-Forces and 'seat of the pants' ability to feel your actual direction (as opposed to where the car is pointing) are completely missing in any racing game, moving even FURTHER away from reality seems counter-productive.

If you can afford a wheel at all, go for it!

Message 11 of 19 (355 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6665 posts

Oct 28, 2012

TownNoob wrote:

Thank you all for you replies and comments. I have gran tourismo 5 prologue and really enjoy it. Im not very good however. I will be buying the game today and look foward to meeting some of you. One additional question, is a racing wheel needed or can you do just fine using the controller ?

So did you pick up the game? When you do, make sure and message some of the users you see posting here , and you can always join into Fun Runs or practice sessions to help get up to speed. Whatever control mechanism you are most comfortable with would be your best choice, especially at first.

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 12 of 19 (342 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Nov 2, 2012

Thank you all for your replies. Looking foward to playing, however having major health problems/setbacks atm. some days are better than others. Im fighting and anxious to play with you all and be part of an active online community.  thank you all once again.

Message 13 of 19 (294 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41695 posts

Some local events can be entered whenever you wish or abl...

Nov 3, 2012

Some local events can be entered whenever you wish or able, so take your time.

Your health priorities take presidence.

Message 14 of 19 (288 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1584 posts

Nov 4, 2012

Yeah I wouldn't always call this game a "stress reliever", addictive and fun, but it can get ahold of your competitive side rather quickly. Take care.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 19 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Hi again everyone and thank you all once again for all the input. I installed the game today and quickly came to two conclusions. this games is amazing....I mean incredible. Secondly, I cant drive for beans, lol. Going to practise for a few days and try and get up to speed. Still learning the basics, menus, etc. Looking foward to sitting in on some races and maybe eventually a few practise runs. Not sure if there is a "friends list" or anything similar, but it would be great if some of you can message or add me.

Can you race with automatic transmission or will you be laughed off the tracks. For now I am having enough problems coordinating the gas and steering , throwing shifting into the equation is more than I can handle presently. If it is imperitive to learn to shift, id prefer to start now and practise. Any thoughts or omments much appreciated. Talk to you all soon

Message 16 of 19 (179 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41695 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Play GT the way you wish to or have to. Some very fast drivers use automatic shifting with the controller.

What will improve your driving the quickest will be to race with other good drivers. The forum events on Mondays and Saturdays would be a good place to start, when you feel ready.

Message 17 of 19 (175 Views)
PlayStation MVP
2802 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Welcome to the game and to the community.

Yes there is a friends list in the game.  It really is driven by the XMB Friends list, but you can find the GT5 part under Community in the Home screen.

You might want to check out the EVENTS area (this beinbg GENERAL) and in specific the Monday Night Racing and GT Saturdays events.  There is also a GT Saturdays discussion thread there in GENERAL, just a few posts down.

Both these events are very "newbie friendly"  in fact both were started to help new people get up to speed as well as just give people a "no pressure" non-points non-"Gotta Win" environment.  If you want to drive clean with no deliberate contacts and with people who do the same, come chack them out.

Not in any way cutting the other events on the events page.  Just most of those are more competative - and every much as clean as the ones I mentioned.  If you do not mind getting left behind by the "aliens" (LOL) you might check some of them out as well.

I am not the fastest one here by any means, I just try hard not to be last...  I sometimes succeed...

Until you get to know the game, we (and a few other sometimes not super fast folks) could race together in the back.  I won't even mind if you leave me when you get faster.  (Assuming you are not already...)  LOL

If you wish, send a FR (Friends Request).  I have a few openings for folks.

Message 18 of 19 (172 Views)
I Only Post Everything
966 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 5, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

Play GT the way you wish to or have to. Some very fast drivers use automatic shifting with the controller.

What will improve your driving the quickest will be to race with other good drivers. The forum events on Mondays and Saturdays would be a good place to start, when you feel ready.

Welcome to the forum and the world of GT5. 

As metioned by MastrGT, you will learn a lot from the good drivers in the game.  Not only from watching their lines on track, but a lot of them will also give you hints and tips on how to drive and get better.  For example, I benefited from exXboxfan and cr0wlft0fdmurder another day from their tips on tackling Daytona Road Course, once of the tracks that I had problem driving well and getting good times.  And at another time, one of the GT Academy finalist from 2011, Choate, guided me in another track, wihle Dan Zitions helped me in tuning the FR-S in another event (Dan, where are you?).

Have fun and enjoy!

photo d58a8f35-0ed4-4d38-b0a5-3fd612962a2f_zps9243b7ef.png
Message 19 of 19 (162 Views)
0 Likes