Oct 25 2012
By: TownNoob Hekseville Citizen 265 posts

Online Community

18 replies 452 views Edited Oct 25, 2012

Im fairly new to PS3 and an older gamer. while I love the ps3 for single player gaming, I am becoming more and more frustrated with any decent online games. Im looking for a game with an active mature community that enjoys chatting as well while we play. I dont care for the 1st person shooting genre much. Would this be a good game to play? I enjoy racing games, although i am not good at them, lol. Would someone so new to the game be frustrated or can it be an enjoyable experience ? thank you in advance for all the replies

Message 1 of 19 (452 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Re: Online Community

Oct 25, 2012
That's a tough one. Gt has a good community, especially if you race or take part in events from here. Gt is one of the hardest racing sims to just pick up and play and be anywhere near competitive, unless you have expierance in other sim racing games like TOCA or need I say FORZA. My online expierance with this game has been great, other than the few times that I have been in open lobbies.

Hope this helps, and to see you out on track Smiley Happy
 photo CIMG1810_zpse1fd5a4d.jpg
Message 2 of 19 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 25, 2012

I dare say you have probably found one of the best game/community combos on the planet as far as maturity goes.  I'd say the average hardcore GT Fan is between 30-50yo.  Because GT requires attention to technical details and careful study of physics and the cars used, the very young gamers have moved on to something easier now that GT5 is two years old (almost).  What's left, is those who care about keeping their gaming experience going for the time being and finding new ways to enjoy themselves.

Additionally, so much of what GT5 has included as features has required people to seek help of others in the community and work their way through the game.

sure, if you read some threads here you'll see that we can sometimes be obnoxious and argue points to a silly and embarrasing degree.  but people do flock towards people they can relate to and what you have is a group of  like-minded racers, sometimes similar in skill level, and sometimes not.

I suggest starting out racing in something like MastrGT's Monday Night Racing to get an idea of how people interact and to enjoy some good racing that is a mixture of random open lobby participants, and regular friends that know each other.

TO be very clear, there are basically two flavors of "community" in GT5.  Open Lobby, and Private Lounge.  Some mix into both, and some prefer one over the other.

Open Lobby racing can find you some good fellow racers, but very little comradery and lots of randomness of childish types with poor behavior coming in and often ruining the races.

Private Lounge racing is controlled by allowing only those on your Friends List to join your own personal in-game race lounge.  As you build up friends in the game, you'll get a feel for how great it is when you either just start a pickup race with a few others, or participate in private events using the Lounges.

GT Saturdays is one of these private lounge type of races.  We allow anyone new to join no  questions asked... but we don't use an open lobby room for reasons of making sure all participants know more or less how they are expected to behave and know the specs for the event prior to showing up for it.  Once you believe you're ready, we'd be happy to have you out to race w/ us.

There are also actual leagues that meet regularly and are fairly organized.  SupatunaGT.com (the Tunas) Tunerspit.com (TPRA) are two such groups worth checking out.

Being competetive when you race isn't as important as how you behave.  Most people wouldn't hate racing with you just because you aren't very fast (yet).  They would, however, hate racing with you if you cut corners, swear a lot (some is okay Smiley Wink ) bash other cars just to make a pass... that sort of thing.

But if you take the approach of "hey, I'm just here to learn and have fun and get to know people" then you'll definitely find somewhere to fit in rather easily.

Good luck!

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 3 of 19 (442 Views)
MVP Support
45107 posts

Oct 25, 2012

Welcome to the GT community, TownNoob!

Racing sims are popular with older men because we can relate real life to it, so there are lots of players, some older than me, if you can imagine that. Smiley Tongue We had one member who got his grandfather, at around 90, playing GT, too, so you can make this a lifetime hobby.

I hope to see you stick around and join in on what we do.

Message 4 of 19 (425 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Oct 25, 2012

Only thing I might mention is, some of the more serious rooms don't really encourage chatting during the race. Best to stick to race warnings 'Coming up your inside!' or 'Watch out for spun car behind me', things like that.

Personally, in public rooms, I always prefer mikes off rooms (or I mute them all as soon as I get in) as I hate to listen to children swearing..! I can watch South Park if I wanted that!

Message 5 of 19 (419 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 26, 2012

(translation) "Use private lounges"

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 6 of 19 (380 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 27, 2012

As previously mentioned, the forums here are a great community and we have some great people out here.  We welcome you and hope you make some friends here.

As far as the game, you'll run across many people online you'll make friends with who are good people as well.  As with any online game you run across some bad eggs but I've ran across  some really nice people as well.

If you're worried about the technical aspect of the game, if it's too difficult, if you'll like it, see if your local video store has a copy of GT5 you can rent for a weekend or a whole week.  My opinion is, if you've played other racing games you'll be able to play this one no problem.  But if you're undecided, hopefully you can rent the game to help decide.

Speaking for myself, I think this is the best racing game for a gaming console you can get your hands on.  The people who develop this game are passionate about racing and making this game the best racing experience possible.  Those of us who are die hard racing game fans, we appreciate this level of dedication from the developers.

Hopefully you'll pick up a copy of the game and enjoy it, and be a regular poster out here on the forums.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 7 of 19 (345 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Oct 27, 2012

We look forward to seeing you in some Events around here, and getting you up to speed on everything Gran Turismo. You've found a great set of resources for your enjoyment, and a group of folks tha are passionate about the game, and eager to help you.

Welcome to the Forums. If you need any help with events, cars to be put on share to help you adavance through the game, or special paints, tuning parts, feel free to ask. I almost always will have exactly what you need, and want nothing in return. We are here to help you enjoy the game to the fullest extent.

Regards, SWERV_GRIFFIN

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 8 of 19 (336 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
265 posts

Oct 27, 2012

Thank you all for you replies and comments. I have gran tourismo 5 prologue and really enjoy it. Im not very good however. I will be buying the game today and look foward to meeting some of you. One additional question, is a racing wheel needed or can you do just fine using the controller ?

Message 9 of 19 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1665 posts

Oct 27, 2012

Welcome to the community TN and no it is not needed. There have been many healthy discussions as to whether it can make you a faster driver or not but the bottom line has always been practice, practice, practice.  I personally have both but use the ds3 75% of the time as we have an active household and my mancave is an unheated garage packed with stuff.  Emersion into the game and precise control over throttle and gas are two of the biggest reasons to acquire a wheel but using the R2 button for gas can help with that. Hope to see you on the track.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 19 (317 Views)
0 Likes