Jul 21 2012
By: MetaKraken Uncharted Territory 1615 posts

On hiatus

10 replies 306 views Edited Jul 21, 2012

Hey guys. I'm on hiatus for today, which means I won't be on playing PS3 and/or on GT5. Apparently, buying an HDD part is quite difficult and scarce, as GameStop doesn't have any of the HDD parts (and buying HDD parts on the internet is too expensive). So apparently, I won't be behind the wheel for who knows when, until I can get the 320GB PS3, since my current one has insufficient memory space (especially when there are other free games at the PlayStation Store). Until then, all I can do is wait, whether it be a month or two, or even more, until I can have enough money to trade-in my current PS3 for another PS3 with more memory space to it. Hope to race with you guys again, no matter how long the wait.

-MetaKraken

photo metakraken_redbull_final_500_zps9ce1f6ed.png

Message 1 of 11 (306 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16264 posts

Re: On hiatus

Jul 21, 2012
what part do u need? the ps3 used 2.5" SATA laptop drives which are quite common. u could try deleting the game data for any games u don't play anymore, and delete some demos u don't play.

Message 2 of 11 (286 Views)
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2012

Sorry if I'm speaking out of line or missing the big picture, but I just bought a 1TB external hard drive and reformatted it to a FAT32.  Plug that into any USB on the PS3 and you can use it to back up data also.  Let me know if you need more info on reformatting.

Hope that helps!

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

Message 3 of 11 (274 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5114 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2012

MetaKraken wrote:

Hey guys. I'm on hiatus for today, which means I won't be on playing PS3 and/or on GT5. Apparently, buying an HDD part is quite difficult and scarce, as GameStop doesn't have any of the HDD parts (and buying HDD parts on the internet is too expensive). So apparently, I won't be behind the wheel for who knows when, until I can get the 320GB PS3, since my current one has insufficient memory space (especially when there are other free games at the PlayStation Store). Until then, all I can do is wait, whether it be a month or two, or even more, until I can have enough money to trade-in my current PS3 for another PS3 with more memory space to it. Hope to race with you guys again, no matter how long the wait.

-MetaKraken

You can always get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136567

It fits all the ps3's requirements, and is very reasonably priced (MUCH cheaper then a new ps3). I usually buy all my computer equipment from them. Smiley Wink

If you need help with the whole swapping process, here are Sony's official instructions on how to do it all:

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=362

Message 4 of 11 (265 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2012

DaletonaDave wrote:

MetaKraken wrote:

-MetaKraken

You can always get this:

It fits all the ps3's requirements, and is very reasonably priced (MUCH cheaper then a new ps3). I usually buy all my computer equipment from them. Smiley Wink

If you need help with the whole swapping process, here are Sony's official instructions on how to do it all:

I have bought much from New egg too...

Pretty good outfit and they have a bunch you can dig up and save hard earned money on.

Got close to $3000 worth of computer for $1800 bucks shopping deals and buying parts on sale.

My son managed to upgrade his PS3 with a new HDD, wasn't to expensive and the process wasn't too difficult. He basically got a notebook drive that matched the SONY numbers but was bigger. The actual assembly-disassembly was easy, but it was a pain having to reload everything and go through all the updates. 

I like the idea of getting a cheapy external HD instead of using sticks...

Can you make it so you can access it by computer at the same time so you can rename and what not for multiple accounts...?

Something tells me I already know the answer to that one, but it's escaping ATM.

Call out the hounds...!

Photobucket
Message 5 of 11 (257 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jul 21, 2012
You can't share from the PS3 that i know of, just the other way around. But its easy to unplug the drive from the PS3 and plug it into a computer to update the files. Like sticks, but you can format up to 2TB easily to FAT32. This also lets you plug it into most TVs with a USB port to watch movies and hear music.. photos... I use it all the time when i go to friends house. It even plugs into my CD player in my car to play music.

Sorry I got off topic...
"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers." -Colin McRae

Message 6 of 11 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1615 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2012

harley7 wrote:
what part do u need? the ps3 used 2.5" SATA laptop drives which are quite common. u could try deleting the game data for any games u don't play anymore, and delete some demos u don't play.

Sadly, I have most games that I still need to earn some trophies, and even deleting PS1 games doesn't help increase much spaces.

DaletonaDave wrote:

MetaKraken wrote:

-MetaKraken

You can always get this:

Until I have sufficient money, I'm afraid I can't buy it for the next few months (where I have to receive checks during college), mainly in November, which is a lengthy wait. Sorry.

Message 7 of 11 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16264 posts

Jul 21, 2012
u can just delete the game data of the games you are not playing right this minute, then when u want to play them again reinstall. your game save data is where your progress is saved and it doesnt get deleted when u delete the game data.

Message 8 of 11 (218 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1615 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 21, 2012

harley7 wrote:
u can just delete the game data of the games you are not playing right this minute, then when u want to play them again reinstall. your game save data is where your progress is saved and it doesnt get deleted when u delete the game data.

To be honest, I don't like deleting too many saved datas just to play one game and then play the next one, as it would pretty much waste considerable time just deleting whole saved game datas just to play one game and reinstall another just to play another game. Smiley Indifferent

Message 9 of 11 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16264 posts

Jul 22, 2012
well since your not playing your ps3 for 3 months, u hav the time.

Message 10 of 11 (190 Views)
0 Likes