Oct 15 2012
By: Destinkeys Uncharted Territory 1712 posts

No Collisions revisited.

[ Edited ]
7 replies 264 views Edited Oct 15, 2012

Well, since the feature came out, I have had a few chances to drive against some friends (and one open room) using the No Collisions option.

I must admit, when it first came out, it was a HUGE disappointment, as I was holding out for the option to have NO ghosting except in the case of track cutting (and extreme contact), so that a lot of the malarkey that you see when drivers simply 'go for it!' and just HOPE that ghosting will save their necks would go away... One of my favorite things to do is 'No Penalties' racing in a room that respects track boundaries, and cars NEVER ghost (just like they don't in real life!). There's a whole different fear factor you get diving into a cloud of tire smoke knowing that, no matter what might have happened up ahead, you won't get lucky and ghost through it!

But... I must admit that it seems as if it DOES have its uses! For one thing, in a room of mixed skill drivers, it finally gives the skilled driver the opportunity to race Nords without a high probability of being taken out by a noob bent on button mashing! Well, OK, it's NOT 'racing', more like simultaneous 'Time Attack', but just getting a few laps of Nords in without being hit off track makes it worthwhile.

And, if I'm in a room with a very closely matched single player (maybe while waiting for a few more to join), it makes for a fun way to compare lines and BP's if used with identical cars. I'm not so much a fan of it on shuffle, as it seems (if all are good drivers, anyway) merely the way to find out which is the faster car, but set the race up for spec, and it is quite fun!

Now, I still have some reservations. Although this SEEMS like a good thing for the noobs, TBH, I worry that it will lead to some very bad habits as consequences for braking late or driving up the tailpipe of another car are nonexistent, and these are the very people that need to learn to avoid contact the most!

But for the skilled driver, under certain circumstances, it's not as bad as I initially thought.

Sure wish PD would implement my original hopes as WELL, though!

Do any of you have some thoughts, and have tried this option yet?

Message 1 of 8 (264 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
967 posts

Re: No Collisions revisited.

Oct 15, 2012

Destinkeys wrote:

Now, I still have some reservations. Although this SEEMS like a good thing for the noobs, TBH, I worry that it will lead to some very bad habits as consequences for braking late or driving up the tailpipe of another car are nonexistent, and these are the very people that need to learn to avoid contact the most!

The best thing for any new or experience drivers is to drive with other cars on the road as "solid objects".  For the newbies, they will learn to observe the surroundings, proper braking points with others around, etc.  For experience drivers, it is an additional challenge to observe when and where they can make a proper pass (pretty sure that they have that skill well polished already). 

I only raced with the No Collision feature once, and the host immediately disabled it afterwards.  I felt too unnatural with ghost cars all around.

photo d58a8f35-0ed4-4d38-b0a5-3fd612962a2f_zps9243b7ef.png
Message 2 of 8 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Oct 15, 2012

Personally, I think it would be a good feature if you could enable it for a qualifying session and have the race revert to normal collisions, so qualy simply tests your fastest lap without the issue of balking or drafting. But as soon as you reset to normal collisions, all the previously set times get nulled, so there goes that!

Once again, it seems as if PD don't really think THROUGH what they put in the game...

Message 3 of 8 (252 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 15, 2012

personally, I think learning how to pass on Nurburgring is essential and if the person in front is considerably less skilled, will give you that opportunity eventually.  especially when the race is multiple laps.

glad you found a use for it, but I'm not personally convinced I would like it.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 4 of 8 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Oct 15, 2012

I completely agree about being patient on Nords, although most noobs have a hard job either holding a steady line or not deliberately making multiple blocks, making clean passing opportunities few and far between, but it is the first sector or so, with the pack bunched that makes Nords such an iffy proposition. It isn't the car ahead that usually worries me... it's the car behind!

As you know, I'm primarily a public room driver, and unfortunately, because of how loose the cutting penalties are on Nords, many drivers are pretty fast and loose with going 4 off track. Getting slammed from behind is one of the main aspects of this. In the long run, these drivers aren't much of a problem, but it's pretty easy to get bashed out of contention in the first sector or so, and combined with the weaving around (deliberately or not) for much of the rest of the track, it can make driving yourself back to the front pretty difficult.

So at least for Nords, a race in this mode if you can't get the room settled down well can at least give you a lap or two sprint where you aren't constantly worried about being hammered from behind!

As I said, I also have little use for this feature, but I thought I would at least change my position from its original stance (where I pretty much tore it a new one!) to admit that it MIGHT have a couple of somewhat marginal uses. But in general, I won't be using it at all. Like I said, my preference is for LESS ghosting (or none), not more..!

Message 5 of 8 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 15, 2012

for nurburgring, I feel that the front car should yield to a pass attempt a lot more easily than they would in other places, for sure.

if you KNOW the person behind you has to slam the brakes in areas where they normally wouldn't in order to keep from hitting you, then moving over a bit is probably a good idea.  you can pass them again on teh straights if you are actually able to keep up with them through the curves.  so not all is lost.

and the road is not so wide, so if you are maintaining that middle road area there is no room to pass on either side.  at the very least, a slower driver should be trying to stick to one side of the road on straights where it looks like hte approaching driver is carying more momentum than he.

but alas, this is why people keep suggesting that the open lobby world is not the best environment... you need friends who will treat you the way you expect to be treated, and as you know all too well, that is hard to find at random.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 6 of 8 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Oct 16, 2012

That's awesome Destinkeys, you gave it a chance and used it, then formed an educated opinion based on experience of it.  That will be an awesome method of deduction for any future game changes we might get.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 7 of 8 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Oct 16, 2012

I sometimes run Nords track day rules in my public rooms... kind of like the License (or is it Special Event section, been so long!) tests at Nords. Car ahead has to go to the right, and allow a pass on the left if not in a tight twisty sector. But you are still somewhat at the mercy of noobs who often can't really control their lines well.

Nords has always been a bit of a reason for general PD headscratching. Arguably the finest, most accurate track in the game, maybe in ANY game, and PD ruin it by making cutting penalties so almost non-existent that most drivers tear round it with little regard for consequences to other drivers (let alone themselves) by getting wheels off. Yet tracks like Fuji and Spa get penalties so draconian for even the slightest off in many sectors that, now that most drivers are used to them, they are the very model of clean, on track racing!

It is a shame that this degree of strictness can't be applied to Nords. Some of those 19 sec penalties, like you get at Sarthe or Spa would tighten everyone's sphincter, and calm down the madness that is often what racing Nords turns into!

BTW, to be fair, my original feelings about No Collisions have changed very little. Primarily, I felt this an utter waste of coding time compared to many basic racing elements (like decent qualy, fastest lap displayed in results, larger spec selection and other minor fixes that would improve the game) and that hasn't changed in the least. However, I originally felt it had no use whatsoever, and have found two tiny inconsequential ones after all! Hardly a huge improvement, though! I would gladly trade this silly mode away for ANY of those features above!

And I still think that all this will do is delay most noobs' ability to learn how to drive and race cleanly. PD already go out of their way, by making the penalty system so obviously flawed it's pretty close to impossible to deduce what clean racing rules ARE from how the game penalizes you, and not posting a set of standardized 'basic' clean rules, that noobs are pretty confused about how to race cleanly. This mode only serves to muddy the waters even more.

So finding a couple of marginal uses for a feature that on the whole, only further dumbs down the game, is hardly cause for celebration.

Message 8 of 8 (165 Views)
0 Likes