Jan 17 2011
By: Acliad First Son 2 posts

New to Gran Turismo

10 replies 27 views Edited Jan 17, 2011

Hey guys.  As the title suggests, I'm new to the series.  I picked up GT5 a few days ago and I'm fairly lost.  How do I know what cars to buy?  What cars to tune up?  Which car is better and why?  What am I looking for in the used car dealer?  What should I do with a car bought from a used car dealer as far as tuning?  Is there somewhere where I can do a regular race for money and xp?  Also I'm wondering how nice the racing wheels are.  I'm wanting to get one but not sure what to get.  What would you recommend for a fairly casual racer?

Sorry for so many questions, its just a bit overwhelming and I want to have a great experience.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
870 posts

Re: New to Gran Turismo

Jan 17, 2011

Welcome to GT5 and to the forum!

First off, you have 20,000 credits to start with.  Before you can do anything, you have to purchase a vehicle from either the new car lot or the used car lot.  Your best bet is the used car lot.  There should be a white '98 civic there for around 18,000 credits.  Purchase that, perform an oil change on it (this goes for any other car you purchase as well), and add an ECM module to it at the tuning shop.

The first set of races that you will be able to do is the Sunday Cup.  You should win fairly easily in that civic, and as you win more races you can continue to upgrade the car.

Also, you can do the license tests, which will initially give you more XP and credits than running the beginner races.  The license tests, if you pass them, will also give you free vehicles.

As far as knowing which vehicles to buy, that's really up to your personal preference and what's required for the next set of races.  Some races require certain vehicle types and some are open to any vehicle.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.mygranturismo.net/10464             1041 unique vehicles.....let's trade

Thanks to the 1.07 update, this has been reduced to 936 tradeable vehicles

Tickets: LVL 5/9/12/17/21/24/1000                  Birthday Tickets: 1998 thru 2010

Vehicles currently set to borrow on dharbert1 : Camaro SS Edge Special, X2010 Prototype, FGT, Chaparral 2J, Silverado SS, ZR-1 RM.     I have one slot open, so if you would like to borrow a specific vehicle, PM me and I will add it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 2 of 11 (27 Views)
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Jan 17, 2011

Welcome to GT5! It's awesome!

If you ever need a car for a race....buy a used car I still need and we can trade!

Please add me as a friend, I'm mdclapps on the PSN.

Thanks for introducing yourself, and welcome!

Add my 2 accounts for GT5 Remote Racing!
mdclapps & BradKFan

http://www.mygranturismo.net/5384

Go Brad Keselowski #2!
Message 3 of 11 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

Jan 17, 2011

Hi,

Well you could do like I did and just work your way through by checking the stats of competitor vehicles in races (see the "typical opponents" button just prior to selecting a race, or by checking the "requirements" button for races in which the specific car or group of cars is listed...

In the typical opponents listing, you'll see horsepower and weight specs of the various competitors

Your car should have a similar or better ratio of HP/weight to keep up with the AI competition

At least in the beginning, if you're like me, tires should be chosen as sticky as you are allowed to use. Many will disagree and say that's not the way to race...ok. I choose to disagree, for a beginner...

regarding tuning, tuning is done on parts you buy from the tuning shop and install on the car. If the part can be tuned, it probably should be.There are a ton of tuning guides. Check the forum posts by using the search tab up top and look for the work "tuning", and also do a google search on the term. here's one I found on the forum

http://boardsus.playstation.com/t5/Gran-Turismo-Series/Crew-Chiefs-Corner-presents-quot-The-A-B-C-qu...

As for which cars to buy...well read the first few sentences...Or you can opt to check a spoiler doc like

http://www.gt5proracing.com/bspec_guide::gt5_complete_xp_and_credit_walkthrough.html

You WILL win some cars for races and license tests and special events, and some can be used in subsequent races...

Good luck!

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 4 of 11 (27 Views)
Last Guardian
12787 posts

Jan 17, 2011

your logic is sound except for one thing.... When you actually ebter any given event the AI cars will not perform the same ech time you run up against them

Case in point, a 66 GTO smoked me in my Z 06 vette.... that ain't possible in RL

Message 5 of 11 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

Jan 17, 2011

Erm, the competitor list is essentially the same for a given race. Using the race competitor list, one can easily become acquainted with the basic HP/wgt ratios required to purchase and/or upgrade ones' car to be powerful enough to compete. The rest is up to the driver and his or her ability to tune the vehicle and drive. I'm no Expert, and I will be the first to admit I still have much to learn, but my logic has served me pretty well so far. As for rl, well, if you put a good driver/mech in a 66 GTO and a bad driver/mech in a Z '06 Vette, the outcome would be quite similar.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 6 of 11 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
604 posts

Jan 17, 2011

choochie49 wrote:

Case in point, a 66 GTO smoked me in my Z 06 vette.... that ain't possible in RL

My 87 grand national ate zo6 vettes, but not always those 60's 70's muscle cars.....man some of them don't mess around.  There as so many RL modifications out there you never truely know what's a monster on the road until they floor it.  I was so sick of every DB in their stock mustangs and camaros thinking they could beat me, I wouldn't even get my turbo winding before launch, it wasn't necessary at all.  But some of those older muscle cars....I would turn up my boost control valve to 19 pounds and get ready for a war.  (YES that's a lot of pressure but the engine was built for that much...and I ran 110 octane turbo blue)

Photobucket
Message 7 of 11 (27 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Jan 18, 2011

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'm current level 11 working through the most recent drivers test.  I have a heavily tuned corvette Z06 '00 or '04 (can't remember which).  So right now I'm wondering how much a used car is worth tuning up just for a race.  Should I tune it bare minimum for that race?  Or just whatever I prefer?  I would like to come out well on credit at the end of the race so I don't have more in the car than I won.  Also any input on getting a steering wheel?

Thanks again.

Message 8 of 11 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

Jan 18, 2011

I try to use a single car for the entire *event at the very least *(for instance, Sunday Cup, FT Challenge, etc), then come back and use it on the individuals to bankroll cash for later purchases, and pay for any upgrades I did on the car that I used. Re-racing the tracks also helps you to learn them like driving to work, many of which you'll revisit later on as you advance through the game.

Message 9 of 11 (27 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12787 posts

Jan 18, 2011

your in for a heck of a ride...

there are several ways of deciding what car to select...

One way is to enter an event an check out what the rest of the cars are in the lineup then backout an find a suitable ride.... Another is to take a car for a test drive on the course of your liking

Message 10 of 11 (27 Views)
0 Likes