Sep 25 2012
By: Destinkeys Uncharted Territory 1712 posts

New 'No Collisions' option...

[ Edited ]
61 replies 449 views Edited Sep 25, 2012

I must confess, I am utterly disappointed in the new 'No Collisions' option for online racing.

Can anyone tell me a GOOD use for this? I am afraid it is the polar opposite of what I was hoping for - instead of ghosting being REDUCED to only track cuts and blatant ramming, and all on track cars not ghosting in turns (like they do in real life!), PD have gone and made cars PERMANENTLY ghosted!

How is this supposed to resemble real life in any way whatsoever? How is this supposed to help new drivers and younger drivers learn to race well and cleanly?

If you could set 'No Collisions' for qualy, but regular contact penalties for in race, then OK... perhaps it might help to allow all to get a qualy lap in with no blocking and baulking, but you can't do that (unless host leaves track and resets setting, although that loses qualy times, doesn't it?)

Is this PD simply pandering to the kiddie base? The thing is, most of the kiddie base actually WANTS loads of contact and bashing around, tons of fun! So this new option doesn't seem to serve either them OR the serious sim racing community...

So.... does anyone have an idea what this might be good for..? Personally, I am trying to figure out how much sake you have to drink before this seems like a good idea?!! Whatever PD are smoking, they need to cut back...

Message 1 of 62 (449 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1436 posts

Re: New 'No Collisions' option...

Sep 25, 2012

this was an an option we used to use for hotlap attacks or qualifying. i dont get why you would complain, i'll welcome all imrpovements to customizing the online experience.

If you dont like the channel, change the dial.

Listen to the lullaby
of carbon monoxide

Message 2 of 62 (445 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Sep 25, 2012

So how did you manage to use this for qualy, but NOT use it for the race? Doesn't resetting the parameter by the host kill all the qualy times?

I guess I come from the 'realism' or sim camp. The idea of ghosted cars just pushes my buttons. I actually prefer to run NO penalties, and simply boot those that track cut and ram, etc.. But was hoping that PD would at least acknowledge how messed up their penalty system is, and restrict ghosting to ONLY track cutting. Oh well.

But when the game promotes itself as the 'Real Driving Simulator', racing around with a bunch of ghosted cars just feels wrong!

Message 3 of 62 (438 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44375 posts

Sep 25, 2012

Ghosting isn't real life, so applying it universally won't help get realistic virtual racing.

If that is the way the option works (this is what I expected to get), then it will only serve those who want to pass a lead vehicle blocking them, which is really annoying. In other words, turn races into time trials.

Message 4 of 62 (437 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 25, 2012

Another PD add on that does little for those that really support the game while leaving the still unfixed blatant errors in the game.

This ghostery only serves to allow the wild to drive as they have been, only now without consequence.

If someone can explain to me how this serves to create "respect for cars" or "promote a cleaner and better online racing experience" I'm all ears.

All this does is let everyone be complete expletive deleteds without any consequence.

The saddest part of all is no will want to use it.

The bashers won't. They want the carnage not to just go spinning around all afternoon.

The racers won't. They want the "real racing simulator", not "GT5: Ghost Busters Special Edition"...

AS MastrGT says, welcome to...

Super Ultra Mega Time Trial Tricky Tracky Happy Fun Time..! (..now with 50% more Time Trial..!..)

And ASM still says Allowed when you click NOT allowed.

And the Driving Line says Allowed even when you click NOT allowed.

And I still can't put American Torque Thrusts on my standard American Muscle Cars.

And we still don't have any real lounge or lobby controls for limiting cheating on PP, HP or WT settings.

I have to say I am rapidly approaching that point in time when I say to myself, "Self, why bother with telling PD anything...?"

They managed to make another "enhancement" that serves no purpose but to decrease the number of people ticked off at them again. If this actually gets used, there will be a sharp decline in public lobby usage as the bashers can't have any fun any more. I guess maybe that will free up server load for the rest of us. Maybe help with lag, maybe even allow more than 12 in a room with MICs on..?

Maybe it is indeed a truly brilliant strategy by PD to get those people to go buy games from some other company and stop messing up the lobby.

Maybe. Maybe if they offer up another pre order car...

Hot place with it.

I'm going to go watch the Photo Stream.

NOT.

__

Photobucket
Message 5 of 62 (420 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Sep 25, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

Ghosting isn't real life, so applying it universally won't help get realistic virtual racing.

If that is the way the option works (this is what I expected to get), then it will only serve those who want to pass a lead vehicle blocking them, which is really annoying. In other words, turn races into time trials.

I kind of understand what you all are talking about here.  So if this option is turned on and you're in the lead heading to the finish, someone could easily ghost through you?  Am I understanding that correctly.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 6 of 62 (391 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2967 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 25, 2012

Lord_Beelzebub wrote:

MastrGT wrote:

I kind of understand what you all are talking about here.  So if this option is turned on and you're in the lead heading to the finish, someone could easily ghost through you?  Am I understanding that correctly.

Yes that pretty much says it.
Made worse by the draft. No longer will someone need to 'make a move', they will simply ghost straight through you and leap ahead.

Kinda takes the racecraft out of racing, and allows up to 16 people to time-trial together.

It is much the same type of thing we had in Prologue, only there cars would not ghost until a lap down.

Message 7 of 62 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Sep 25, 2012

can I just say that this thread topic very well could have turned ugly already, and that I'm glad to see that a few recent head-butters are in here discussing things civily?

now, because I just said that, I also need to point out the obvious.  You all agree!

with that said, I agree too!

I think it is another example of a fix for something that ain't broke.  Another example of a feature that is going to be touted as "see, we're listening to the fans!" but who exactly asked for this?

maybe the PD Standard set of rules thread is being horribly mis-translated into Japanese by Google?

Stupid GOogle always messng things up!

They say they can predict the future... okay, what was I going to type here? CENSORED

I have another idea though, and perhaps this is more grounded in reality.  PD gets stats about how we use the game, no?  What if they are recording number of collisions for each race?  Collisions per lap per race?  collisions in public lobbies vs private?  The possibilities are endless.  If we imagine this, it is easy to see how they might misinterpret incidental bumping with bashing, and conclude that everyone is going around bashing.  Mind you, I'm just using my imagination and brainstorming here... okay call it a hurricane.

Perhaps they said, "F it, we don't want people crashing this much, so THERE!"

But before you get too upset by that notion (unproven), it could also be that they are attempting to allow more cars on the track to fix the infamous "lag bug" by making cars "phased" as in, not solid.  Maybe that helps with the PS3's ability to process information.  IDK.  But that would hopefully be documented if it were the case, and I'm sure it isn't.

In the end, the way to send PD the message that this is a useless feature is to use it less.  Use it never.  It's perhaps that bad... a "usenever" feature, rather than "useless".  If they want stats, and they are geeks at heart, who doesn't like to sift through data till four in the morning?  Give it to them.  Don't use it if you don't like it, and perhaps they will get it and stop using Google to translate these forums?  (I sincerely hope they have better interpreters than that)

(and I sincerely hope those who have met said interpreters know that I am joking, unless perhaps said interpreter introduced themself as "google-san", but I doubt it)

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 8 of 62 (374 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2967 posts

Sep 25, 2012

exXboxFan wrote:

can I just say that this thread topic very well could have turned ugly already, and that I'm glad to see that a few recent head-butters are in here discussing things civily?

now, because I just said that, I also need to point out the obvious.  You all agree!

with that said, I agree too!

I think it is another example of a fix for something that ain't broke.  Another example of a feature that is going to be touted as "see, we're listening to the fans!" but who exactly asked for this?

maybe the PD Standard set of rules thread is being horribly mis-translated into Japanese by Google?

Stupid GOogle always messng things up!

They say they can predict the future... okay, what was I going to type here? CENSORED

I have another idea though, and perhaps this is more grounded in reality.  PD gets stats about how we use the game, no?  What if they are recording number of collisions for each race?  Collisions per lap per race?  collisions in public lobbies vs private?  The possibilities are endless.  If we imagine this, it is easy to see how they might misinterpret incidental bumping with bashing, and conclude that everyone is going around bashing.  Mind you, I'm just using my imagination and brainstorming here... okay call it a hurricane.

Perhaps they said, "F it, we don't want people crashing this much, so THERE!"

But before you get too upset by that notion (unproven), it could also be that they are attempting to allow more cars on the track to fix the infamous "lag bug" by making cars "phased" as in, not solid.  Maybe that helps with the PS3's ability to process information.  IDK.  But that would hopefully be documented if it were the case, and I'm sure it isn't.

In the end, the way to send PD the message that this is a useless feature is to use it less.  Use it never.  It's perhaps that bad... a "usenever" feature, rather than "useless".  If they want stats, and they are geeks at heart, who doesn't like to sift through data till four in the morning?  Give it to them.  Don't use it if you don't like it, and perhaps they will get it and stop using Google to translate these forums?  (I sincerely hope they have better interpreters than that)

(and I sincerely hope those who have met said interpreters know that I am joking, unless perhaps said interpreter introduced themself as "google-san", but I doubt it)

In all fairness. We initially express our displeasure, myself included, and point out how this is a detriment to straight up clean competitive racing. For those races its totally useless, leave it off.

But

I can see where this evil new feature can be turned from the dark side, and used for noble purposes.

For someone who enjoys helping players, this could be a very useful teaching tool.

With draft turned off as well, it could also be an interesting way to conduct a pre-race qualifying session.

just off the top of my head, given some thought Id bet there was more that could be done with this for the betterment of the community.

Message 9 of 62 (370 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Sep 25, 2012

yes, there probably are ways to use it.  good point.

I could see two guys racing together in an instructional manner, where one is the teacher and leading the other around the track.  it would be useful if collisions were turned off for that.  just to show lines and follow the leader.  then they could turn it back on to do a race.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 10 of 62 (363 Views)