First Son
5 posts

Re: Nascar oval and abs

Oct 8, 2012

I do play with a controller and usually with no driving aids, I'm doing the offline series as it is the last one to do(yes i dislike nascar that much) did the whole championnish being first, except daytona where i the AI keep slowing me down with ABS as I see the other car pass by, very frustrating

Message 11 of 26 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Oct 8, 2012

Feldynn wrote:

buddyfreakind wrote:

sounds like your car has aids, turn off the aids. 

And there in lies the crux of the issue, it's been a while since I actually checked any of the offline Nascar events myself but I believe a number of patches back PD (in their infinite wisdom) decided to force the use of certain driving aids such as ABS and ASM. 

I think we've always been forced to use ASM but "way back when" you could simple turn ABS off which would then negate the ASM, but they "fixed" that so now the car will automagically slow down when taking a banked corner at Daytona even when there's no need for it to (or at least not nearly THAT much).

I did not know this, then again pretty much beat the game in a week after launch and only play online aside from the tt's.  That's so wierd that they'ld force asm in offline.   Then again even with all assists off they still have traction control when you leave the track.  Makes it easier for the corner cutters to leave the throttle down.  One feature this game could do without.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 12 of 26 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 8, 2012

it sounds like he's doing the a-spec or b-spec events to me, but made specific mention of "I didn't hit the brake" so a-spec is the best guess.

and yes, a patch did force you to keep ABS at 1 for the nascar special events/challenges

that made it a lot harder for people to win, but I think many have reported success.

basically, as I recall, you have to make sure you are in somebody's slipstream at all times.

now, there's another issue.  If they changed the slipstream (they have) then did they also adjust the race so that it is still possible with new slipstream?

I wonder.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 13 of 26 (252 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44615 posts

Oct 8, 2012

He isn't specific, but I think he is complaining about the Jeff Gordon series.

The tests can be passed and they only have to be done once, if he chooses to accept that mission. Smiley Wink

This message will self-destruct in 15 seconds...

Message 14 of 26 (248 Views)
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

Oct 8, 2012
Admittedly, they're quite difficult when using a controller, or at least they were for me. I was stuck on one of the banked runs (outside lane I think) until I finally broke down and bought a DGFT.
- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 15 of 26 (243 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Oct 8, 2012

since when did GT5 make the abs brake on its on i thought it was the amount of force or lack of when hitting the brake... because when its off it LOCKS THE WHEELS UP (slide threw the corner) try to tune your transmission so that when you let off the gas the car pulls itself down (slows its pace) then you wont have to worry about it doing it again and when the trans is set good you will pass them all like they are setting still but it really sounds like you are over looking the settings just before you start race there is tune and settings in by the start race icon go in to settings and there you can adjust abs

Message 16 of 26 (227 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Oct 8, 2012

help_me_help_u_c wrote:

since when did GT5 make the abs brake on its on i thought it was the amount of force or lack of when hitting the brake... because when its off it LOCKS THE WHEELS UP (slide threw the corner) try to tune your transmission so that when you let off the gas the car pulls itself down (slows its pace) then you wont have to worry about it doing it again and when the trans is set good you will pass them all like they are setting still but it really sounds like you are over looking the settings just before you start race there is tune and settings in by the start race icon go in to settings and there you can adjust abs

It's not the ABS itself that's causing braking it's the ASM (I believe), when you run a Nascar around the banked turns at Daytona the ASM thinks you're going too fast to turn safely so it slows the car down.  The way the game is designed though is that the ASM is tied into the ABS so if you switch the ABS to 0 (zero) it automatically turns off the ASM (I believe the description text should read something to that effect).

Many months ago (possibly even a year) they patched some of the offline Nascar stuff (specifically the Jeff Gordon events, but I think the Nascar A-Spec races too) so that ASM is permanently on and ABS can only be set to 1 so you can no longer disable ASM by turning off ABS.

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 17 of 26 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 8, 2012

I also think he is confusing ABS value with Brake Balance values.

ABS = 2 is not greater braking force than ABS = 1

this has got me curious about whether I can still beat this event with the newer settings.. maybe i'll try ; )

Message 18 of 26 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 14, 2012

In the NASCAR races (A-SPEC) the ASM CAN NOT BE TURNED OFF. I get what he is saying. Enter the NASCAR event and try to turn off the asm. It won't let you. I hate this because NASCAR uses no aids in real life. Not even power steering or brakes. It makes it very hard to win on Daytona. It's under the "Driving Options". It shouldn't matter if you us a DS3 or a wheel. If that's the case then whoever has a wheel has an advantage because they can turn off all aids and anyone with a DS3 can't. That is kind of stupid to me. Anyone who doesn't understand what he is saying, go to the NASCAR series and go to Daytona and then go to driving options and turn off the asm. I just tried and I can't. If I could take a pic of the screen and post it I would. Also it's not the ABS slowing you in the corners it's the ASM.

Message 19 of 26 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 15, 2012

yes, we know that.  the DFGT used to be able to turn it off while in the race, which as you point out, isn't fair to the DS3 users.  But that has also been eliminated.

so it's now level.  they saw it as a fix, but they actually broke it for everyone equally rather than fixing it for everyone.

NASCAR should not use ASM.  Agreed.  But the challenge should still be able to be passed.  Often times GT Challenges seem impossible for a very long time until you achieve it.

Message 20 of 26 (167 Views)
0 Likes