Wastelander
907 posts

Re: Nascar oval and abs

Oct 16, 2012

In response to the original post - I finally got gold in the Daytona race today - the last race in the NASCAR series.  (I finally realized that to get platinum I have to get all the golds).  Like you I am no fan of NASCAR - but mostly because it is so darned difficult and easy to get KO'd.

I tuned the car by dropping it to the max, increasing springs to the max, camber to 2.5, spoilers to min, top speed to 245 (and trying to shove all the gears as high as possible).

I was able to get in front of the field by the back straight.  From then on, it was a battle to try and block others from going around.  If someone tried to pass me on the outside I would jam them against the wall - which is the one thing that will slow them down.

If you don't pay 100% attention to your rear view, someone is going to push up against your rear quarter panel and send you spinning - which has absolutely no effect on anyone else - just you.  After awhile, you begin to realize that the AI cars appear to be following fairly specific lanes.  So as long as you stay in those lanes, you shouldn't have any quartering hits.

The good thing about having non-spinnable AIs is that you can use them to stabilize your car.  A few times, I was ping-ponging between two lanes of cars passing me simultaneously on the inside and outside.

And, yes, you can't turn off ABS - but, then, you should never touch your brakes.  Everything else was off.

I hope this helps.

Photobucket
Message 21 of 26 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 16, 2012

challenges like that one do require some more offensive driving against the AI.... where most of the time I would argue against that, this challenge really does make it justified.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 22 of 26 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
907 posts

Oct 16, 2012

Yes, I would definitely not recommend using these tactics online.

But the AI are the borg and must be defeated.  I cannot begin to tell you the number of times they have spun me out in spectacular fashion, leaving me to watch the entire field departing as if nothing had happened.

Photobucket
Message 23 of 26 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Oct 21, 2012

I think the title is misleading everyone. It's not the ABS that is slowing the cars in the corners. It's the ASM. ASM CAN NOT BE TURNED OFF. You racers who keep saying everything is off except ABS are mistaken. Go back to the race settings and try to turn off your ASM. YOU CAN'T. The ASM is what makes this so challenging. I myself have completed this series of races.

Message 24 of 26 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 22, 2012

ASM uses ABS to function, however.  so actually if you turn off ABS and put brake force to 0/0 it may help.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 25 of 26 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
197 posts

Nov 30, 2012

ABS can NOT be turned off. Lowest it allows is 1.

Message 26 of 26 (159 Views)
0 Likes