Dec 04 2012
By: MinionMax Lombax Warrior 122 posts

NASCAR and Formula GT Cars Drivable?

20 replies 338 views Edited Dec 4, 2012

Can they be driven? I can not get cleanly around a corner with either of these cars. The AI even has a hard time in B-Spec with the NASCAR, drifting the corners and spinning the tires with 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. Sent days working the settings and gears to be able to get the B-Spec (level 30)to finish in the top half then another day to win. I am not using any Racing Wheel to play, so that means the DualShock 3 and Automatic Trans. These  are the only two races that I can not do, everything is done below them. I have always used these controllers for all the GT games, GT, GT2 and GT3 are completed. On GT4 I have the Endurance to race to finish it.

Message 1 of 21 (338 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45123 posts

Re: NASCAR and Formula GT Cars Drivable?

Dec 4, 2012

I am only guessing here, but maybe you are having throttle-control problems because of the DS3. I haven't heard of this tire spinning being a problem from other DS3 players, so I don't know why you are having this issue.

What are your driver aids set to?

Message 2 of 21 (332 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Trans- Auto

Front Tires- Race Hard

Rear Tire- Race Hard

Drive Line- Off

Traction- 7

Skid Recovery- On

Active Steering- Mild

AMS- On

ABS- 5

Cont. Steering Sentsitivity: FGT- -1

NASCAR- 1

No Tuning changes exept gears in NASCAR(2010 and 11 DE Jr) to get 1st  at a 2.25 and 4th to !.00. Rear end from 3.25 to 3.60 depending on track staightaqawy lenght. This is enough to make me not want to get GT6 when it comes out, GT5 is the only reason I bought the PS3.

Message 3 of 21 (320 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Dec 4, 2012

The above is what I ended up with to be able to get the AI to win, and on two races there was less than 1 second to 2nd place. The best I could do around Grain Valley in the FGT was 1:32 whit these settings. Typically it was 1:35 to 1:40.

Message 4 of 21 (319 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45123 posts

Dec 4, 2012

In the top post, you mention both B-spec and A-spec.

My comment was regarding A-spec.

Try reducing your usage of and dependence upon driving aids. ABS on NASCAR cars, especially run on ovals, don't need much brake usage, for example, so there is little need for ABS to be that high at all. I rarely find (m)any cars that need ABS over 1.

I don't understand Skid Recovery much yet, but I hear it helps DS3 users. Try turning it and the others off, one at a time, to experiment with the differences, for you. That's how you will learn what they do for or against you.

Chances are Traction Control and ASM are the real culprits causing you trouble, however.

Message 5 of 21 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1691 posts

Dec 4, 2012

Turn the TCS down to maybe 2 or 3 and no higher than 5...turn the ASM off - it isn't really necessary for any of the events except maybe the Vettel Challenges. Also with the ASM, the higher you set the TCS with the ASM active, the slower you'll be when cornering - turn the TCS all the way up with ASM active and you'll see what I mean. Also, you should turn the steering sensitivity up to at least 5 (which is default) - especially if you use the d-pad for steering. The sensitivity is the time it takes from turning the steering wheel to the front wheels actually turning. In other words, the lower the steering sensitivity, the longer it takes the front wheel to turn. If you're coming into a high-speed turn, if the steering sensitivity is set too low, you'll need to crank the steering wheel before reaching the turn - otherwise, you'll end up just careening through the turn and wind up either hitting the outside wall or going off-track. Turning the sensitivity setting up will compensate this effect. 

Life is what happens while you're making other plans - taken from the movie "Kuffs"

MY RIDES: http://www.mygranturismo.net/10853

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL: http://www.youtube.com/user/rojovo74

"Who is more foolish...the fool or the fool that follows him?" - Obi Wan Kenobi

The hurrier I go, the behinder I get.

Message 6 of 21 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1615 posts

Dec 4, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

In the top post, you mention both B-spec and A-spec.

My comment was regarding A-spec.

Try reducing your usage of and dependence upon driving aids. ABS on NASCAR cars, especially run on ovals, don't need much brake usage, for example, so there is little need for ABS to be that high at all. I rarely find (m)any cars that need ABS over 1.

I don't understand Skid Recovery much yet, but I hear it helps DS3 users. Try turning it and the others off, one at a time, to experiment with the differences, for you. That's how you will learn what they do for or against you.

Chances are Traction Control and ASM are the real culprits causing you trouble, however.

Skid Recovery Force are designed to prevent the rear tires, mainly FR/MR/RR cars from losing traction and spinning out while entering the corner. Also, for drifting, Skid Recovery should be set to off. Otherwise, leaving it on would prevent a RWD car from drifting accurately, thus preventing you from earning points during the Drift trial from the Seasonal Events.

photo metakraken_redbull_final_500_zps9ce1f6ed.png

Message 7 of 21 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Dec 4, 2012

I will give it a try tonight. I do not get it, for all other cars I do not mess with these settings. In previouse game they did not do much, so I have left them alone a tune the car with the suspension, breaks and tires. I have run a Race Mod Challenger and Camaro around the courses faster than the FGT and NASCAR.It must really be set up to have to have a wheel to race these cars.I hate to have to buy one, for one not having the space to use it. FYI, I race A Spec then B Spec to get gold befor going to next race, in the car and set for that race. I have not done any of the Seasonal Events yet, not into Drifting at all. Have done most types of racing as a hobby but have not got the point of drifting. To old for it I guess.

Message 8 of 21 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 4, 2012

throttle control is likely the issue.

even when I was sort of noobish shortly after this game came out, I was able to drive the FGT's after figuring out how they wish to be driven.  That is the key.  You can't just "drive" them.  They will drive YOU until you realize what inputs they can accept.

The main idea is this... don't gas and turn at the same time until you ahve a wonderful tune and a lot of experience.  Tune your top gear for achieving top velocity at mid-way down the straights, and you will accelerate better than the AI.

Another thing that I believe is crucial for driving this type of vehicle is to abandon use of the Auto Transmission, forever.  Though, this isn't the best car for you to learn on, doing so will greatly help you control wheelspin.  Shift early when exiting corners.  You do NOT need the full 800 some odd HP that these cars have to exit a corner, so shifting at lower RPMs helps.  Save the highest RPMs for the straights.  There just isn't that much grip, especially on the RH's.  Maybe get used to shifting w/ another slower car first using manual.

And, because I'm showing you how to do mechanical traction control, you should simultaneously reduce and then remove your reliance on TCS, ASM and keep only ABS at 1.  It can be done.

I personally use a wheel, but I know at least two really fast Formula drivers in GT5 who use a DS3.

Gojet64 & Faceman557 I believe both use a controller, but I could be mistaken about that.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 9 of 21 (278 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Dec 4, 2012

exXboxFan wrote:

throttle control is likely the issue.

Lack thereof, specifically.  Alternately, if applicable, quit using the chase cam view as you won't assimilate what the car is doing quickly enough to react to it.

Blaming the controller or how the various aids are related to using it is not a reasonable excuse.  I do better in a formula car with DS3 than with my usual G25.  NASCAR DS3-to-G25 speed is about even.  I just don't spend enough time in them to get used to how to wheel them (they're quite different, as you might expect, to nearly any of the 700ish street cars which is where I spend most of my GT time).  This is with controller sensitivity on 7 (I would turn it up farther if it were possible).  Stating you use it on 1 suggests you don't steer very smoothly or with any finesse.

Auto trans isn't the biggest hinderance in a formula car as the gearing isn't too bad, but the NASCARs are just 4 speeds so you'll get stuck attempting to use 850hp to exit a corner when it would be much easier (like ex said) to be in the next higher gear and have 'only' 600ish to apply to the road.  TCS on 7 should nullify most of that but I haven't run it that high in ages on anything so I'm not sure.

The NASCAR races were among the most challenging for me when first playing thru the game a couple years ago.  A- or B- spec, the basic speed potential of the car punishes mistakes quite highly, and because it's the same car as the AIdiot field it's tougher to engineer a car advantage to build a big mistake-insurance gap with.

I don't think I can help much on a setup, I didn't do much to the F/NAS cars other than final drive changes.  I probably had ABS on 1, with no TCS, no ASM, and SRF off.  Make sure you have the aero maxed.

Keep at it and you'll get it done.  Smiley Happy

Message 10 of 21 (269 Views)
0 Likes