Highlighted
Feb 02 2011
By: iamnotsvettel First Son 5 posts

My guide to GOLD in every S. Vettel Challenge

14 replies 1193 views Edited Feb 2, 2011

1.) Difficulty (see towards the end of this write up for a turn by turn walk through of each track).

Monza is easiest, once you learn how to use the chicane cheat, I found it as easy as some of the license tests or special events.  Even without SRF, GOLD is entierly do-able.  Turn on SRF and you'll be ahead of the "Vettel" ghost towards the end of the second lap (and even Nurburg/Suzuka once you are well practiced).

Nurburgring is about as hard as the Eiger track in the Grand Tour with the Alfa.

Suzuka is one of the toughest (if not the hardest) challenge of most any driving game I've played (I have a 3 screen setup for Forza, and I've golded every GT game in the series since the first).

2.) The environmentals.  Have plenty of time (it took me about 5 days, about 1-4 hours each day) and patience.  If you can't Bronze all of the races within 1 or 2 hours after first getting your level 30, you're going to have a hard time getting GOLD at all.  I noticed the time of day mattered - morning was best for me after I was fullly rested and a cup or two of joe, and how much Cola/Coffee I had made a difference (a little caffiene never hurts - but TOO much does though...).  At first I had music on like I normally do but later turned it off and shut the door so I could concentrate more.

3.) Set your car up properly.

Use automatic, traction control OFF, SRF* MUST BE ON !!!, active steering OFF, active stability managment OFF, and ABS anywhere between 5 and 10 (I don't think it matters much).

*It is possible to GOLD Monza without Steering Recovery Force, but it will take and extremely skilled driver, a very expensive wheel, and a lot of time (if even possible) to GOLD Nurburgring or Suzuka without SRF.  To get an idea about what I mean.  Try driving for 30 minutes without SRF and then switch it on (you'll get better by doing this anyways, so it is recommended).  Notice your times improve after you turn SRF on?

4.) Watch a couple Gold You Tubes, and even the sample laps within the game to get an idea of the proper lines to take.  If you don't do this you are wasting your own time trying to figure it out on your own.  Unless that's your goal.  If you're good enough, you'll get it.

5.) Have the right equipment.  Not saying it isn't possible with a dual shock or non-HD monitor, but if you have a racing seat, a wheel, and a good fast HD monitor at 1080p, you are going to have a slight advantage over everyone else.

6.) UNPLUG the power from your wheel.  I used a Logitech DFGT.  Even at the lowest setting, the force feedback is TOO much for even a bodybuilder's physique over hours and hours of racing.  Once you unplug the power, you'll be able to make those complete 180 degree rotations FULL left/right with hands at 3 and 9 o'clock back to back to back to back like you need to do in every one of the challenges (especially during the chicanes).

7.) Use the brake SPARINGLY.  Brake later than you think you need to and turn more than you think you need to.  The more speed you can carry through the corners the less time you'll take to complete a lap, etc.  The slightest touch of the brake pedal is enough in most cases to drop 100mph in speed and several gears to get through even the toughest of corners.  Also keep the RPM's HIGH.  You'll find with automatic you'll be bogged down in 2nd gear sometimes where the turbos are not spooled up - I imagine if I had a nice wheel with stationary shifting paddles I could improve my times, not sure about a clutch and shifter though in this challenge (I think it was built for a DFGT and SRF)...

8.) AND now for the track walkthroughs.

------------------------
NURBURGRING GP
------------------------

I suggest first completing Gold in Monza to get a better feel for the car.

Turn 1.  Brake enough.  Obviously.  I found that it didn't matter much whether I carried more speed with 2nd gear or went down to 1st gear, since the car you are driving rips through 1st like nothing else.  1st might be better after all.

Turn 2.  Flat out, seriously and a full 180 degree turn of the wheel (practice this with your arms crossed, but still gripped onto the wheel).  No braking (perhaps a little feather of throttle won't hurt, but not necessary).  Go wide if you need to, but you'll just brake more into the next turn if you do.  So in other words hit the apex late.

Turn 3 & 4 low speed Chicane.  Brake before turn 3 until you are somewhere in 2nd gear.  "Idle through" or optionally for a faster time feather the throttle through turn 4 (go wide if you need to) until you are flat out.

Turn 5.  BARELY tap on the brake and hard left (nearly 180 degrees with hands and arms criss crossed again - if your hands are at 3 and 9 o'clock on the wheel).  It doesn't hurt to feather the throttle after this turn if you are quick w/heel toe action (or if you drive with both feet).

Turn 6.  Brake hard until somewhere in 2nd gear and moderately hard right, then full throttle.  The front end will tend to "chatter/jump" through the turn, which sucks time.

Turn 7.  A tricky "u-turn" corner.  I found it best to go as left to right as possible, but not required - stay in the middle is best after starting on the extreme left.  Brake late but not excessively, down into 2nd again, and somewhere half way around you'll be flat on the floor again until the exit of the u-turn (you'll exit in the middle if done right).

Turn 8 & 9 high speed Chicane.  Petal to the metal, and be smooth.

Turn 10.  Brake very late.  Hard left (180 degrees).  Jump the curbs on the right if you need to.

Turn 11.  Very gently tap the brake along with a nearly simultaneous hard descending right, the apex is tricky since after your late braking in turn 10 a lot of times you'll be wide over the strips and/or nearly out of control.  The better you can take the full apex (at nearly full throttle) the more time you'll save.

Turn 12.  Full speed, of course.

Turn 13 The low speed chicane.  You'll lose TONS of time here if you don't get the setup just right.  Obviously you'll need to brake plenty early and be going somewhere between 75-100mph through the entire corner.  The in game demo does a good job of this.  The chicane requires lightning fast heel/toe or brake/gas transitions with lightning fast complete 180 degree turns of the wheel back to back left to right (don't lose your grip on the wheel!).  When you're out of the corner be at full throttle!!!!

Turn 14.  Brake late and heavy but not too much, turn towards the inside apex more than you would think near the curb and use the full width of the exit straightaway and "curb" section with a smooth transition on the wheel to complete the turn.  Back into full power for the second lap (repeat above, but with slightly more braking before turn 1).

---------
MONZA
---------

Once you've had enough practice with the car you'll hardly need a walkthrough.  The turn 4/5 low speed chicane is a "cheat" actually - you are not penalized for going over the speed bumps and it cuts your time drastically.  Learn how to use this turn by experimenting with later braking and less turning.

Turn 1/2 low speed Chicane. Brake appropraitely until in second or even 1st gear (doesn't matter much).  Get on the gas quickly after this turn.  This is an important chicane, so spend a lot of time with it, even with the "cheat".

Turn (bend) 3.  Full throttle high speed right bend.  Not sure if you would call this a "turn" technically.  Nuff said.

Turn 4/5 low (moderate) speed "cheat" chicane.  The cheat here is to not stay on the asphalt.  Brake late and not enough, cut the corner early over the curbs and straighten out the curve by exiting out the other side of curbs.  You'll be amazed as you jump ahead of the ghost on the first lap during a really good run through.

Turn 6.  Brake enough, but less than you would think.  Turn early and stay towards the inside.  Carry your speed.

Turn 7.  Brake more than 5, turn early, use the full width of the track.  Carry your speed.

Turn 8/9/10 mid speed chicane.  The toughest part of the course.  Brake moderately, full 180 degree wheel turn left then quick right 120 degree again and quick left.  Cut the corners too much and you'll be slowed down.  Feathering the throttle works best here.  Again, with the cheat, it seems silly to elaborate.

Turn 11 high speed u turn right into final straight.  Brake late, turn late, carry tons of speed "on the edge" (3rd or 4th gear after braking).  Then repeat except turn 1 a little more braking.

-----------
SUZUKA
-----------

My personal favorite due to the sheer technical difficulty.  A REAL challenge that certainly gets the heart rate up!!!!!!

This track requires absolute precision.  It also demands being able to completely rotate the wheel 180 degrees (and more doesn't hurt) as fast as you can back to back to back to back, which is tough - to say the least.  Use your thumbs to keep hold of the wheel.

The whole track is "won or lost" in the first 9 turns.  After that you can "*rest*" until the next lap.

Turn 1.  Full speed ahead, but be prepared to brake lightly and quickly.

Turn 2.  Brake late into 2nd/3rd gear?  Use the full track, feather the brake and then throttle and you'll save time.

From here it gets REALLY SCARY.  Flat out for a long time.  Don't lift the gas !!! I mean it !!!! (except perhaps barely on the final high speed chicane if you need to).  Micro throttle is the word if you can't hold 100% gas (which is possible).  4th gear here is best, however if you venture into 5th gear land you are looking at a very fast gold time.  5th is hard to do consistently though.

Remember, don't lift the gas in the next several turns!!!

Turn 3.  Stay near the apex.  Less than 180 wheel turn degrees left.  The easiest of them all.  Don't grip too tightly on the wheel.

Turn 4.  Stay near the apex.  180 degrees turn of the wheel or more right until the car slows if necessary (thanks to SRF correcting oversteer).

Turn 5.  Stay in the middle of the track out of turn 3.  180 degrees or more left until the car slows with oversteer again if necessary (requires use of thumbs to grip the wheel).

Turn 6, the last "most difficult to nail turn" in the series.  Turn late right, stay in the middle of the track and hit the apex late.  180 degrees turn of the wheel right (complete arms crossed again, hang onto the wheel with your thumb and one hand if you need to) or more turn and barely off the throttle until the car slows.  This is the toughest one to nail, I even ride/strattle the curb on the right if I need to, which wastes time, but is acceptable for a gold.

Turn 7, the long left.  Flat out still!  Believe it or not!  Might need quick 180 degree turns to correct under/over steer and direction after those monster chicanes.

Turn 8.  Up into 6th gear you'll be on the left side of the track and abrubt 180 degree right hand earlier than you think over the curb (the computer is generous here).  Use the force here Luke.  Literally.  Be prepared to brake hard down into 2/3rd zone a pico second after you exit the 8th turn.  If you can drift the car through turn 9 after going 250mph+++, you're on your way to a GOLD.

Turn 9.  Set it up right.  After 8, be on the left side of the track, turn early thrugh the curb, brake less than you need to, and be on the throttle faster than you can imagine.  If you are on track for Gold here, you'll see the "Vettel" ghost just in front of you.

Turn 10 U-Turn.  Rest a little easy now beacuse you can brake until you are in 1st or just over in 2nd.   Turn hard left (180 degrees or more again holding the wheel with the thumb) and full throttle after half way though.

Turn 11.  You should be in 6th gear, brake extremely late (ignore the driving line if it is on until the last possible moment with immediate wheel correction), and turn the wheel as hard left as you can (180 degrees).  Hard on the throttle.  The exit of this turn is tricky, since you want to be on the outside of the "hump" to setup turn 12 which is the harder of the two in the series.

Turn 12.  If you can manage to be in 2nd (or 3rd gear is better) then you are on the right track.  A long increasing radius left hander with a difficult wide exit, if you've done it right then you'll be close to the "edge".

Turn 13.  Flat out, obviously, just the slightest turn of the wheel to the left (or go wide, doesn't matter).

Turn 14/15 low speed chicane.  You can win or lose the race here.  Late braking, but not too late so that you can't manage the next turn.  Stay on the left, brake into 2nd gear and carry about 75-100mph through the turn, with two immediate 180 degree wheel actions.  The curbs are scary here, because you aren't allowed to "cheat" as much as Monza.

Repeat the same as above, turn 1 should be full speed (even on the throttle if you can manage it), and enough braking into the 2nd turn to repeat the above again, which takes some serious skills!

Good luck drivers!

Message 1 of 15 (1,193 Views)
Sackboy
565 posts

Re: My guide to GOLD in every S. Vettel Challenge

Feb 2, 2011

NICE QUALITY WORK... I LIKE IT

Message 2 of 15 (1,193 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15950 posts

Feb 2, 2011

Bookmarked for when I reach Level 30 A-Spec. (Will hit 25 tonight).

Oh, and just to let you know, this isn't part of my sig.

www.GarCard.com

PlayStation Network ID & Xbox Live Gamercard: Garconis
Message 3 of 15 (1,193 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
68 posts

Feb 2, 2011

LOVE YOU MAN!! this will gladly help me in my struggles trying to do this challenge. i did the enduramce just so i can hit lvl 30 then i tried the challenges and it was a headache.

btw what did you use, ds3 or wheel?

Message 4 of 15 (1,193 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Feb 2, 2011

Holy crap... you broke the vettel challenge down good but what got me was Your username LOL

Message 5 of 15 (1,193 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8267 posts

Feb 2, 2011

xd3m0n15x wrote:

LOVE YOU MAN!! this will gladly help me in my struggles trying to do this challenge. i did the enduramce just so i can hit lvl 30 then i tried the challenges and it was a headache.

btw what did you use, ds3 or wheel?

I believe they did it with a Wheel if you read it he says "Dont grip the wheel to hard" or something like that.

Message 6 of 15 (1,193 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Feb 2, 2011

LOL'D at your name.

And thanks man, I'm at 30.

And have been practicing driving it

Thanks for the tips.

Message 7 of 15 (1,193 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
63 posts

Feb 2, 2011

Good post.  I got all golds about a week back and the best advice I have is just is for most of us it will take practice and time.  It took me a good 3 to 5 hours to get all three bronze and even then I barely got it (this was about a month back) and I was thinking at the time, how the hell am I going to cut 5 seconds off that.  I used the X1 in one of the endurance races after I got all bronze and I think that helped me just to get a feel of the X1.  So like i said last week and decided to tackle them again.  I started with Monza since it was the easiest.  I played for about 30 minutes and started easily getting the bronze medal every time.  I then watched a few youtube videos of gold and immediatly started cutting off time.  Whats frustrated me is more often than not I was DQing myself since you really really push the limits.  I think Monza took me about 1.5 hours and at the end I was consistanly within half a second of gold and was more about just being consistent in both laps. 

Next night I tackled Suzuka and holy hell.  Did the same routine, played for 30 minutes, watched youtube videos and within a few hours I was getting silver pretty easily but I was DQing myself most the time and seemed what I thought was even one good lap wasnt going to be good enough to get gold if I did it for both laps.  I gave up that night after about 4 hours and wife complaining I was up to late.  The next morning I watched some more videos and compared my split times to others and realized I was losing all my time in the S section.  So I started watching my first sector time and if it wasnt close just kept restarting.  After about and hour I started to close in.  I somewhat changed my stradegy on the corners and actaully stopped being so aggresive and was blipping the brake before entering the last few  corners of the S section. While I felt I was slower than the videos online my times were coming down so I just concentrated on perfecting my stradegy.  After about another hour I was starting to get 105.5xx to 105.7xx lap times so I knew I could do it if I just put two good laps together.  You can be a little more aggressive in the S's section the second lap with warm tires and finally after a total of about 6 to 7 hours I got it. 

Decided to tackle Nurburgring that night and it took me less than 2 hours to accomplish it.  It seemed easy after Suzuka.  Same stradegy as the others with the 30 min practice to get the feel than videos then just started bringing times down.  Awesome feeling to have all golds in everything now except a few endurance races left. 

My setup is a Playseat with the Driving Force Pro (yes the old wheel I need to upgrade sometime).  I used SRF with ABS set anywhere from 3 to 7.  I keep playing with ABS settings but really not sure it mattered much but who knows. the difference I have is I left my force feedback alone but I dont believe mine is turned up very much anyway as I was able to keep up in the very quick right the left turns. TCS and everything else off.  When i got bronze I was using the manually transmission but I was able to use the auto transmission to get the golds.  I think manuall you could be quicker but I went auto so I could just concentrate on the steering.....GOOD LUCK

Message 8 of 15 (1,193 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Feb 3, 2011

bump for a good post.  I'm printing and trying this tonight.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 9 of 15 (1,193 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3066 posts

Feb 4, 2011

iamnotsvettel wrote:

1.) Difficulty (see towards the end of this write up for a turn by turn walk through of each track).

Monza is easiest, once you learn how to use the chicane cheat, I found it as easy as some of the license tests or special events.  Even without SRF, GOLD is entierly do-able.  Turn on SRF and you'll be ahead of the "Vettel" ghost towards the end of the second lap (and even Nurburg/Suzuka once you are well practiced).

Nurburgring is about as hard as the Eiger track in the Grand Tour with the Alfa.

Suzuka is one of the toughest (if not the hardest) challenge of most any driving game I've played (I have a 3 screen setup for Forza, and I've golded every GT game in the series since the first).

2.) The environmentals.  Have plenty of time (it took me about 5 days, about 1-4 hours each day) and patience.  If you can't Bronze all of the races within 1 or 2 hours after first getting your level 30, you're going to have a hard time getting GOLD at all.  I noticed the time of day mattered - morning was best for me after I was fullly rested and a cup or two of joe, and how much Cola/Coffee I had made a difference (a little caffiene never hurts - but TOO much does though...).  At first I had music on like I normally do but later turned it off and shut the door so I could concentrate more.

3.) Set your car up properly.

Use automatic, traction control OFF, SRF* MUST BE ON !!!, active steering OFF, active stability managment OFF, and ABS anywhere between 5 and 10 (I don't think it matters much).

*It is possible to GOLD Monza without Steering Recovery Force, but it will take and extremely skilled driver, a very expensive wheel, and a lot of time (if even possible) to GOLD Nurburgring or Suzuka without SRF.  To get an idea about what I mean.  Try driving for 30 minutes without SRF and then switch it on (you'll get better by doing this anyways, so it is recommended).  Notice your times improve after you turn SRF on?

4.) Watch a couple Gold You Tubes, and even the sample laps within the game to get an idea of the proper lines to take.  If you don't do this you are wasting your own time trying to figure it out on your own.  Unless that's your goal.  If you're good enough, you'll get it.

5.) Have the right equipment.  Not saying it isn't possible with a dual shock or non-HD monitor, but if you have a racing seat, a wheel, and a good fast HD monitor at 1080p, you are going to have a slight advantage over everyone else.

6.) UNPLUG the power from your wheel.  I used a Logitech DFGT.  Even at the lowest setting, the force feedback is TOO much for even a bodybuilder's physique over hours and hours of racing.  Once you unplug the power, you'll be able to make those complete 180 degree rotations FULL left/right with hands at 3 and 9 o'clock back to back to back to back like you need to do in every one of the challenges (especially during the chicanes).

7.) Use the brake SPARINGLY.  Brake later than you think you need to and turn more than you think you need to.  The more speed you can carry through the corners the less time you'll take to complete a lap, etc.  The slightest touch of the brake pedal is enough in most cases to drop 100mph in speed and several gears to get through even the toughest of corners.  Also keep the RPM's HIGH.  You'll find with automatic you'll be bogged down in 2nd gear sometimes where the turbos are not spooled up - I imagine if I had a nice wheel with stationary shifting paddles I could improve my times, not sure about a clutch and shifter though in this challenge (I think it was built for a DFGT and SRF)...

I agree with pretty much everything you said.  The only "tweaks" I would make is that I used ABS 10 at Suzuka and I think it helped. Supposedly, it gives you more grip in the turns.

And for those with wheels, I tried turning the power off completely when I was doing an enduro at Nurburgring, and I struggled.  If I kept it at plugged it in and set my force feedback to 1, I was much better.  By putting the FF at 1, you get minimal resistance so you can turn the wheel a lot faster (as mentioned), but I found if you turn it completely off, you get little to no feel for the road and what your car is doing.  Granted, with the X1, by the time you "feel" something, it's already too late.

For those that enjoyed the text walkthrough, and at the risk of thread-hijacking, I've posted YouTube videos of my gold medal runs at all three tracks -- the link is in my sig in the last line (there is a link there, trust me).  Go to the second post in that thread and you'll find them all there.

Much like the OP here, I've broken it down turn-by-turn, but in my case, there is video -- so hopefully it will help you visualize it a bit more.  The more you can read, watch and learn, the better it will make you.

But definitely props to the OP for taking the time out to post this and attempt to help his fellow gamers.

PSN ID: U2EDGE

60/60 Gold Licenses
S. Vettel: All Gold

A: 40 - B: 40

Message 10 of 15 (1,193 Views)
0 Likes