Mar 14 2008
By: twitchyzero Sackboy 488 posts

Logitech WingMan Formula Force GP + GT5P Demo

15 replies 2535 views Edited Mar 14, 2008

I have a quick question about the compatibility between the LogitechWingMan Formula Force GP+ GT5P Demo. Firstly, this is a PC wheel that I bought back in 2001.

Pics: (http://images.techtree.com/ttimages/story/lt_fw_fll.jpg)
There's a PS2 Equivalent for this wheel, the Logitech Driving Force (the GT3 A-Spec official wheel). The Wingman Formula Force GP wheel that I own works for both PS2 and ex b0x.

Now, I've only used this wheels a couple of times, and basically put it to sleep in my closet for almost 6 years. I got a PS3 last September and d/l a copy of GT5P demo from the Japanese PSN. I thought hey, why not try whipping it out and try it right? So i did it, connect the USB and jumped into GT5P demo, choose Driving Force under options. Now everything's working like a charm, except for the Force Feedback. It's shaking constantly and I get a lot of resistance when i try to turn the wheel.I cant really read the Japanese under options and I dont even think it's detailed enough for me to tweak the Force Feedback sensibility.

Does anyone have a clue how I can fix this/or point me in the right direction?

TIA!

Message Edited by twitchyzero on 03-13-2008 11:25 PM
Message 1 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44745 posts

Re: Logitech WingMan Formula Force GP + GT5P Demo

Mar 14, 2008
My guess is that you would probably need to use the Driving Force wheel settings, not the GT3 DF's settings, so click on the proper choice.

The wheel settings are found in this menu:

Now, are you saying the wheel is really too strong or are you saying this because it has been 6 years since you used a wheel and you have forgotten how much force is involved. The DF wheel didn't really have a lot of force compared to some more modern wheels.

Is the wheel shaking left and right while you are holding it tightly or while you have taken your hands off the wheel entirely?
If you took your hands off the wheel rim, this is quite normal for a wheel. Once help in your hands, it will feel normal.

Cheers,
Message Edited by MasterGT on 03-14-2008 03:10 AM
Message 2 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
488 posts

Mar 15, 2008

^ thx i tried put the setting on GT Force, took off power assist and made FF strength to mild.

It still very stiff however when i tried to turn the wheel( I cant recall if this is normal, but i basically have to put in some force just to make turns). When i let go of the wheel..it starts shifting left to right..gradually from very slightly to 90 degrees both ways(all this while my car's going in a straight line on paved road). Same thing happens when i drive onto the sand...the wheels suddenly swap left to right with lots of force.

Message Edited by twitchyzero on 03-14-2008 11:40 PM
Message 3 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44745 posts

Mar 15, 2008
If the force is really excessive, then maybe that particular PC is not compatible with Prologue.

Having a wheel rock back and forth when it is not being help is typical of any wheel I've used, so keep your hands holding the wheel.

Cheers,
Message 4 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 4, 2008

I have the Wingman formula force (not GP) and it seems the PS3 does not recognize it.

Is there a patch somewhere ?

Message 5 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44745 posts

Sep 4, 2008
Welcome to the GT forum, jlr1304!

Because the wheel is a PC wheel, you may never get in-game support for it, but you could always ask SCEA Consumer Services about this and see what they say. At least you might get a more definitive answer.

Cheers,
Message 6 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 4, 2008

Hello,

thx for the response.

Does this mean that, if a want to buy a compatible wheel, it has to be specificly designed for the PS3 ?

Message 7 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44745 posts

Sep 5, 2008
Some, but not all wheels, not even all of those from Logitech, are compatible with the PlayStation platform.

If a wheel is PS2 or PS3 compatible, then you should have no problems, though. Some wheels, such as the G25, are not specifically marketed for the PlayStation platform, but they are compatible, including some of the Logitech PC wheels, but not all of them are (as you found out). The G25 was originally released for the PS2 before the PS3 was released, so it does work because it is compatible with the Logitech Pro wheel, but Logitech doesn't list the G25 as Prologue compatible yet, only GT:HD, neither does PD, so it looks as if some marketing things are going on.

It's fairly hit-n-miss with PC wheels because compatibility relies not only upon the wheel & the console, but also the games.

Cheers,
Message 8 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
440 posts

Sep 5, 2008

I actually use the equivalent wheel u were talking about ( the gt3 official wheel, the blue one). I never quite figured out why it moves side to side with so much force when u spin out or crash but I got use to it after a while. You just have to hang on to the wheel with more strength than usual. However lower horsepower cars dont give me as much force as the higher ones. Try letting the wheel go on Daytona Speedway straights on those powerful ones n u will see the wheel fighting for its life.

One problem I really dont like bout the wheel is that it doesnt get centered if I dont calibrate it myself (tuning the wheel completely to the right and left) before a race. You only have to do it once though. Oh yeah, it doesnt have carpet grips, so thats also a problem.

Dang, jus realized this was a really old thread.....oh well

Message Edited by evostreet-r on 09-04-2008 11:49 PM
Message 9 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
333 posts

Sep 5, 2008

MasterGT wrote:
.... but Logitech doesn't list the G25 as Prologue compatible yet, only GT:HD, neither does PD, so it looks as if some marketing things are going on.

Hey MasterGT- Just for future reference, the Japanese Logitech site does list the G25 as compatible with Prologue.  Not sure why it's not the same with the American site.
Message 10 of 16 (2,535 Views)
0 Likes