Gaming Beast
2341 posts

Re: Learning the wheel

Feb 12, 2013

hellsoul0 wrote:

right, slowly progress to harder tracks, shorter tracks, and faster cars they all take times though

Yes, it definitely takes time. That's just the nature of the beast.  The old saying is "you have to learn to walk before you can run". Yes, there are those who can side-step age-old adages, but for most of us, the rules will always apply.

Good luck with your journey.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 21 of 29 (302 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Feb 12, 2013

Can't really imagine how drifting will go with the wheel... Probably several times difficult then with a controller 

Message 22 of 29 (286 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Feb 12, 2013

drifting is definately easier with controller.

Message 23 of 29 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Feb 12, 2013

yeah but i have a feeling if i do manage to learn to drift with a wheel i'll have more control and there fore better drifts 

Message 24 of 29 (259 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

Feb 12, 2013

hellsoul0 wrote:

yeah but i have a feeling if i do manage to learn to drift with a wheel i'll have more control and there fore better drifts 

Well, if nothing else, at least learning on the wheel will translate to real world skills a bit better. Not even sure you can get a joystick upgrade for a car Smiley Wink

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 25 of 29 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13694 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 12, 2013
I'm sure it's already been suggested, start small. I found it took about a week of consistent use to adapt to it. Go back to the beginning of the game and do your license tests again. The slower cars and simple tasks will help you tremendously. Also, taking a great handling slow car to a very familiar simple track (Trial Mountain for me) will help you learn how to use your Driving Force GT. Avoid fast cars for a while.

The biggest thing you've got to learn is to not fight with the wheel. You control it, it does not control you. In a real car, you do not have a FFB motor pushing against your inputs. Do not follow its lead. If you do you have an endless battle of weaving back and forth. Dont go for the gusto and crank up the FFB. Even on my T500rs, I have it set to 3. Te reason is not because it's too hard to turn, but because of oversteer. I found that having my FFB at 7 was causing more oversteer than I wanted. Now with it lower, I'm not experiencing quite as much snap oversteer.

And please, do not forget, this is a learning process. Don't allow frustration to get the best of you. You might want to limit your online racing until you feel reasonably comfortable.
Facebook|Twitter
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

GT5P TeamSpeak Server

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
What are you listening to???!
"Stalking the lost not by land, but by air with the Word of God through music" DTS
KittenWar Crackers' Kittenwar stats Lord Of The Peeps
Message 26 of 29 (253 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

Feb 12, 2013
Just don't think too much of what you're doing. In fast driving, you really don't have time to think. The only time I'm thinking is when I'm about to pass someone. Thinking hm, what's the best/safest way to pass? Other than that, I like to stick with the "Go hard or go home" mind set.
Why do I win so much? I'm terribly sorry for your loss.
Message 27 of 29 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Feb 12, 2013

DaveTheStalker wrote:
I'm sure it's already been suggested, start small. I found it took about a week of consistent use to adapt to it. Go back to the beginning of the game and do your license tests again. The slower cars and simple tasks will help you tremendously. Also, taking a great handling slow car to a very familiar simple track (Trial Mountain for me) will help you learn how to use your Driving Force GT. Avoid fast cars for a while.

The biggest thing you've got to learn is to not fight with the wheel. You control it, it does not control you. In a real car, you do not have a FFB motor pushing against your inputs. Do not follow its lead. If you do you have an endless battle of weaving back and forth. Dont go for the gusto and crank up the FFB. Even on my T500rs, I have it set to 3. Te reason is not because it's too hard to turn, but because of oversteer. I found that having my FFB at 7 was causing more oversteer than I wanted. Now with it lower, I'm not experiencing quite as much snap oversteer.

And please, do not forget, this is a learning process. Don't allow frustration to get the best of you. You might want to limit your online racing until you feel reasonably comfortable.

well thats what im doing really, im doing the begginner A Spec all over again, im not having any trouble with the FFB on 7 just the occasional Spin out cause i put too much gas but so far so good but that might change as i use faster cars 

Message 28 of 29 (232 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Splicer
54 posts

Feb 12, 2013
You should instead try to get all Golds on all License tests.
Why do I win so much? I'm terribly sorry for your loss.
Message 29 of 29 (214 Views)
0 Likes