I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Re: Learning the wheel

Feb 11, 2013

My suggestion is to use a small car that requires you to keep up momentum for quick laps. Work for smooth throttle, braking and steering application. This will both get you used to the wheel and will make you a smoother, quicker driver. Practice until you are are proficient with the small cars, then and only them move up to faster high HP cars. You will thank yourself. I wish I had done this first instead of jumping into the deep end of the pool.

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Message 11 of 29 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Feb 11, 2013
I switched over a couple months ago, took longer than expected the be faster than I was on the controller.
I also was unable to correct a slide at first, still not the best at it but i'm at the point where I can recover more minor slips regularly. this has given me enough confidence to attack the corners a bit more.
I find you have to be quick to countersteer out of a slide then bring it back to center quickly, (quicker then you may think you need to). it almost felt to me more like steer into the slide and back in a fast jerking type motion.
however, this will only work if I catch it soon enough.

having said all that, it is far better not to get the car sliding in the first place, (even though it can be useful at times). be easy on the throttle and don't overdrive the car. slow in fast out they say, right?

another thing I've found to help me with improving my countersteer ability was rallying, with TCS on 1, or better yet , off. taught me to hold the car sideways through a corner using steering AND throttle, I even remapped my e-brake to the wheel so I could get the back end out on purpose.

hope these point help, and enjoy the wheel. I did, even though I wasn't as fast right away. so much that I built a rig/ cockpit.

carry on.
and on that bombshell.....
Message 12 of 29 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

Feb 11, 2013

Drive slowly at first. VERY VERY slowly. Like school-zone/residential-street slow. FInd or create some windy course and drive it like you have a baby in the back seat. When you can get around it without any problems, start driving a bit faster.

If you have problems at all speeds, switch cars or consider tuning your suspension.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 13 of 29 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Feb 11, 2013

well what i did was basically Drove my Toyota MR 2 86 990kg 187 hp, around High Speed Circuit (not sure if that the actual name might be ring) and just kept driving with no assist cept for abs at 1 and full feedback strength and just go around the curcuit for 30 laps despite crashing and i put tire and fuel wear on and realisitc damage and track slip maybe if i go a bit slower like 60-70 around the track then build up i'll have a better time learning 

Message 14 of 29 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Feb 11, 2013

I'm assuming your not old enough to drive in real life yet, otherwise it's the same as driving a real car.  All you have to do is just use it and over time you'll get used to it.  It will give you a head start for Drivers Ed.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 15 of 29 (269 Views)
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Feb 11, 2013

hellsoul0 wrote:

well what i did was basically Drove my Toyota MR 2 86 990kg 187 hp, around High Speed Circuit (not sure if that the actual name might be ring) and just kept driving with no assist cept for abs at 1 and full feedback strength and just go around the curcuit for 30 laps despite crashing and i put tire and fuel wear on and realisitc damage and track slip maybe if i go a bit slower like 60-70 around the track then build up i'll have a better time learning 

An MR layout car is a bad one to learn anything with as a beginner.  Use a front wheel drive car until you're not crashing in that.

Message 16 of 29 (262 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Feb 11, 2013

hellsoul0 wrote:

lol, this car around this track will spin easily unless you tune it properly. my normal generic type tune will not work at hsr at all. the banked turns will just kill me. try running some different courses, maybe nurb gpd, autumn ring, or fuji.  

Message 17 of 29 (251 Views)
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Feb 11, 2013

i have driven yet Smiley Tongue, i am 20 years old it just i've been playing with the stick since it came out and bought a wheel 2 weeks back, i just didn't know like between driving with a stick and with a acutal steering wheel how similar it was so i had trouble knowing how much to turn and etc but im starting to get used to it, i switch to a Suburu BRZ and went 15 laps on the High Speed Ring and didn't spin out once (stock everything) 

Message 18 of 29 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1312 posts

Feb 12, 2013

much easier car on that track. again time to move to a more funner track, like, well all of the other ones. Smiley Very Happy

Message 19 of 29 (219 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
104 posts

Feb 12, 2013

right, slowly progress to harder tracks, shorter tracks, and faster cars they all take times though

Message 20 of 29 (215 Views)
0 Likes