Highlighted
Nov 15 2012
By: Ferrari458-Joey First Son 1 posts

Is it possible to setup a GT5 racing network @ home?

14 replies 633 views Edited Nov 15, 2012

Have not tried it yet, but I have two ps3's, G27 & GT2 wheels, one copy of GT5.

I noticed that when I installed GT5 on the second ps3, it did something to the o/s, slowed it down and created problems that I had to reinstall everything. I lost a lot of trophies/saved games (the usb transfer mode or save to a 32gb usb drive did not work) I contacted technical support and they walked me through what I have already done, anyway, just want to race!

Has anyone setup two systems @ home?

Message 1 of 15 (633 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44638 posts

Re: Is it possible to setup a GT5 racing network @ home?

Nov 15, 2012

Welcome to the GT forum, Ferrari458-Joey!

As far as I am aware, no, it is not possible. I am a big supporter of playing GT over a LAN and have done it myself since GT3, but I have not yet heard of a way of doing it with GT5.

Message 2 of 15 (627 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Nov 15, 2012

yes people have set up two systems in the same building, and you merely have to use the internet to connect.  I know, that sounds insane but when you realize that having additional people racing w/ you too, and not just the two people in the building, it may actually be just as good as LAN.

if you use a private lounge, you can always control who is in your room... friends only.  So set up a different PSN ID on each machine and make then friends w/ each other.

good luck!

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 3 of 15 (619 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44638 posts

Nov 15, 2012

exXboxFan wrote:

yes people have set up two systems in the same building, and you merely have to use the internet to connect.

But that is the whole point. If a bunch of friends are at, say, a cottage that has no Internet access, then you can't LAN GT5.

Message 4 of 15 (616 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1116 posts

Nov 15, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

exXboxFan wrote:

yes people have set up two systems in the same building, and you merely have to use the internet to connect.

But that is the whole point. If a bunch of friends are at, say, a cottage that has no Internet access, then you can't LAN GT5.

It is possible to have a wireless/router without internet....... No?  The Internet went out at my house and I was still able to connect with other devices in my house without internet.  

aka smokeethetire
Message 5 of 15 (602 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44638 posts

Nov 15, 2012

Your console should still be able to connect with your router, but if your Internet is out, you won't be connecting to other GT5 players.

Message 6 of 15 (600 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1116 posts

Nov 15, 2012

MastrGT wrote:

Your console should still be able to connect with your router, but if your Internet is out, you won't be connecting to other GT5 players.

That much I know..... that was in regard to the OP.  It is technically still a network......the question is if/how it can be setup.

aka smokeethetire
Message 7 of 15 (597 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44638 posts

Nov 15, 2012

The game needs to know how and what to find when it looks for other connections, so if GT is looking for, say, its servers and doesn't find them, then it just can't deal with what is available.

In GT3 and GT4, there was a special way in-game to do this, but GT5 doesn't have that.

Message 8 of 15 (589 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Nov 16, 2012

it was probably something they left out for time's sake, and then decided people weren't raising much fuss over it and dedicated post-release support to other things we did scream about.

LAN would be nice, but those who would use it are very very few, as LAN gaming has really taken a downturn in the past 10 years.

Before XBL and PSN, Halo LAN parties were a regular thing.  Now we each sit on our own couches etc. and pretend we're in the same room.

Nostalgia would make me want to do more LAN gaming, but other people I know arean't really into it any more.  Plus with two major consoles vs PC gaming, no one can agree on what to play anyways.

People get SOOOOO organized about when, where and how to watch a stupid Football game that it really frustrates me that friends can't get together and play a frickin game.  Especially when we all agree doing so back several years ago were some of the best moments we've had.

Maybe you could say I'm just a little bitter?  lol

Message 9 of 15 (572 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Nov 16, 2012

one more thing... PD may have left LAN out of GT5 for what may be a really big business reason... to enforce the usage of PSN.

if organized leagues all began using LAN through a VPN style connection and found ways to create customized dedicated gaming servers or just consoles acting as servers, and we found that actually functioned better or was preferable in some way to using PSN to organize our gaming, it would make PSN look really bad and perhaps prevent it from being enhanced  and maintained as well.

it very well could have been a decision handed down from "on high", not PD's decision.  but that's just speculation of course.

Message 10 of 15 (571 Views)
0 Likes