Gaming Beast
2471 posts

Re: If gt5 was the first in the gt series would we still rate it with an 8?

Dec 13, 2010

"If gt5 was the first in the gt series would we still rate it with an 8?"

Who rated it an 8 in the first place....  Probably IGN? They are geniuses.........................................................
..........................  I rate the game a 12/10, surpasses expectations.

Message 21 of 34 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
158 posts

Dec 13, 2010

9.5/10...very good game..

Message 22 of 34 (18 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Dec 13, 2010

I would have to say possibly, I mean the game took 6 years and didn't really accomplish much(it was a dissappointment). I would have to say that is a great question but no one can truely answer it as there are people who love and it and those who hate it...IGN is not the only place to Give it an 8 btw...and just because a reviewer doesn't agree with you doesn't make them an idiot or make their reviews worthless. We are humans not everyone is going to agree with you

Message 23 of 34 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

Dec 13, 2010

driving/physics = 10/10, max vote cause there's nothing like it on console.

gameplay = 5/10, i think this has gone some step down from the earlier gt's i played.  i don't like to have to play b.spec, i end up afking from the console to get some kind of reward, when really i should just play it myself.  being a manager has nothing to do with my idea of playing gt... might be different for others, but for me it is so.  the levelling and grinding of totally non-challenging races.. i find that 2-3 steps down the other system they had before (licenses to access races).  i feel like when i'm playing a mmorpg and i'm grinding those endless random mobs to level up.

interface = 5/10, i think this has several bugs/incomplete features.  countless errors and omissions in options that were there before.. will raise this vote when/if it's gonna be patched/fixed.

overall... well, it's hard to give an overall vote, i will still play it for several months and maybe years, because of how the driving is, and the many models.  i personally dont give a crap about photo mode, premium cars, and all those extra goodies; the reason i like gt is because of how it feels while you're driving.

my garage: http://www.mygranturismo.net/19932
Message 24 of 34 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
446 posts

Dec 13, 2010

(For some reason, I can't seem to quote the topic post, even though it appears to actually just be blank.)

Actually, I've been rating GT5 about 8.5/10 or about 85%.  Yes, I would still do so if none of the previous GT games had yet existed and GT5 was just the start of the GT franchise.  The reason is that it has a lot of shortcomings; places where it falls short of standards set by rival games. 

For example, 80% of its cars are constructed with outdated, last-gen quality models, which costs it some points.  Several of the tracks are similarly outdated, which again hurts its rating.  Then, while the graphics generally look nice, they still have their issues.  80% of the cars not having an interior view (can't use the proper term without bypassing the ridiculous word filter) is also unacceptable today, and costs it points.  The interface is clunky and awkward, which costs it points.  There's no livery editor and we're limited in how much we can share online, which things are a far cry shy of the most direct competitor, which costs the game some points.

Yes, the game does a few nifty things, but some of the stuff the game has to offer that other racing games don't offer are things that like 1% of GT5 players will be using, like 3D.  100% of GT5 players will be using the game's cars and tracks, though, so it's much more important and it's an area where the game largely fumbles.  Having 3D isn't a big deal if few players will be utilizing it and if much of the game otherwise looks pretty primitive.

Yes, it's still a great game, but even if no previous GT games had yet existed the game would still be 8.5/10 or 85% for me.  Update some more of the cars to Premium, give me an interior for every single car, update the tracks, allow me to do a bit more online, and clean up the menus and we'll have a solid 9.5 (95%) here.

Rated-M3 wrote:

Who rated it an 8 in the first place....  Probably IGN? They are geniuses.........................................................
..........................  I rate the game a 12/10, surpasses expectations.

http://www.gamerankings.com/ps3/941103-gran-turismo-5/articles.ht
ml

Most places rated it 8 to 8.5, give or take.  Only a few sources gave it 9+.  It holds an 85% average rating among 35 reviews so far.

Message 25 of 34 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1695 posts

Dec 13, 2010

What do ratings mean? Nothing. They are a person's opinion on the "perfectness" of a game. And because it's a persons opinion, and "perfect" isn't achievable, it's just a stupid number.

I look at it if it's money worth spending. GT5 has potentially 1000+ hours of gameplay for it, which is about 6 cents an hour. Sure beats the movies.

And the ones that would say it's not worth the money - it's just not their type of game. If you love cars, motorsports, or are fascinated by internal combustion, you'll love this game. Like Forgetful mentioned, if you're just a "gamer," you will see many flaws with it that don't matter to the true fans.

Message 26 of 34 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Dec 13, 2010
If it wasn't for stupid options such has minimal use of standard cars, and the genius idea of the way car painting is done it probably would have scored higher. Serioiusly though **bleep** is PD smoking to do stuff like this?

Cant buy rims or even take my standard car to the photo event. What an effing joke.
Message 27 of 34 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Dec 13, 2010
Thanks for all your reply's so far...

Lendell
The Netherlands
Message 28 of 34 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
45 posts

Feb 6, 2011

Bump

Message 29 of 34 (18 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19063 posts

Feb 6, 2011

I've gone extensively into the game thus far with my game progress. I'd give ita 9/10 due to the leveling system.

The game gets very tedious after a certan point; especially when you start racing the endurance races.

When you get to level 34 looking to level up to level 35 just to race your first 24 hour race just by racing the Tsukuba 9hr enduro a couple of times. This is when the game starts getting perhaps a bit too tedious and long.

Other than that the game is nearly perfect. The credits are fairly difficult to come by. But that's what the fans wanted when they said that the credits were too easy to earn from Gran Turismo 4. They also wanted damage modeling in the game and they got that as well. This is not what my review is based on. There is basically nothing else wrong with the game that I see after being at Aspec level 34 and Bspec level 22.

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 30 of 34 (18 Views)
0 Likes