Highlighted
Nov 21 2012
By: feldman9000 First Son 3 posts

Idea for DLC Region Based Tracks and Cars

14 replies 262 views Edited Nov 21, 2012

There should be 3 region based DLC's that focus around track's and manufacturer's for cars. American Pack, European Pack, and Japanese Pack. For the later, you can come up with ideas. But us American enthusiasts don't enjoy the constant Nissan's being released. This is what I would like to see as a simple pack.

Cars:

2013 Ford Mustang GT

2013 Dodge Viper

2013 Dodge Dart

2013 Ford Mustang V6

2013 Chevy Camaro V6

2013 Dodge Challenger V6

2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Tracks:

Circuit of the Americas at Austin

Watkins Glen

Road Atlanta

Road America

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal

I would pay money for these.

Message 1 of 15 (262 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Re: Idea for DLC Region Based Tracks and Cars

[ Edited ]
Nov 21, 2012

Xna on the region-a

So based on your suggestion the US would get DLC packs only with American cars and race tracks?  So I can forget about getting cool cars like Ferrari's, BMW's, Lamborghini's,etc in the future because we would only get 'American' styled content??

Hell no!!  I don't want to be segregated.

photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 2 of 15 (256 Views)
Fender Bender
3246 posts

Nov 21, 2012

I think he meant packs with regional content, but the packs would be available in all regions.  I'd be ok with that.  I'd get tham all anyway, but I'm sure some people would pick and choose the content they want.

Message 3 of 15 (247 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Nov 21, 2012

Good idea... Heck, it's hard enough to get many of the tightwad GT5 players to even buy the pitiful few tracks they already HAVE released! You get a full grid in most public rooms, at least 1/3 of them don't have the DLC tracks, often 1/2... Maybe because they aren't NA tracks...

Mind you, even that US only track list you have there, at PD's current glacial pace for new track development, is about 5 YEARS of coding (took 2 years just to get Spa and Motegi). They should simply farm out the work. It's obvious they are incapable of keeping up with most other game studio's track pace.

But even if just two tracks per regional pack, rather than lumping them all in together as an 'all or nothing' approach, were adopted, maybe PD would sell more DLC..? So far, we have had an EU release (Spa) and a Japanese release (Motegi). I guess it's too much to ask for a US track, isn't it? LOL

Message 4 of 15 (244 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3246 posts

Nov 21, 2012

The U.S. will probably always be kinda left behind in the GT series.  We're not the developers home territory, nor do we have the rich racing tradition of Europe.

They did include NASCAR for the first time in GT5, but to be honest, my interest in NASCAR is waning.  I think the only races I watched from start to finish this year were the road courses, which could be an indication I've been playing too much Gran Turismo.  LOL

Message 5 of 15 (241 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 21, 2012

Welcome to the GT Forums, feldman!

Although I agree with your sentiment of there not being enough American or European new content compared to the Japanese-centric content of late, I'll bring you up to speed on an unannounced and "secret" update we'll be getting soon.

Right now, go check the New Car Dealership and put the cursor over Chevrolet, but don't select it. If your A-Spec is level 21 or higher, you'll notice that there are 17 cars you can purchase. Open the Chevrolet dealership, count the cars and you'll only find 16 cars. Where's the missing 17th car?

Many GT5 players, myself included, have seen the camouflaged C& Corvette during one of the game's random car screen savers. Here's the link to the original forum post regarding the secret C7 Corvette where you can read the original discussion, and the link to GT Planet's site with screen shots and videos of the upcoming C7 Corvette.

Essentially, there's a consensus that the camouflaged C7 will be available for download in the near future. There's strong evidence to support this with:
  1)  The camouflaged C7 has been photographed by several sites and publications in anticipation for the real-life unveiling at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan on January 13th, 2013.

2)  Chevrolet has released videos and other public relations media promoting the "1-13-13" unveiling of the all-new Corvette, and the GT5 model has a license plate with "January 2013" tabs.

3)  Gran Turismo has a history of partnering with auto manufacturers to promote new cars: GT By Citroen Concept, GT By Citroen Road Car, GT By Citroen Race Car; and others like the Red Bull X2010 models. However, the most well-known was lead up to the worldwide simultaneous real-world in GT5 unveiling of the new GTR at the 2007 Tokyo Auto Show, where GT5 featured the  GTR Concept, GTR Black Mask, then the production GTR all as a running promotion for Nissan's new halo car.

Again, the general consensus is that the camouflaged C7 will be unlocked in the near future as a teaser for the official unveiling of what's going to be unveiled on January 13th, 2013. Based upon Polyphony's track record, I'd say it's a safe bet that the production C7 will also be unlocked and playable on or after January 13th, 2013.

But to address your point more thoroughly, yes, it would be nice to have DLC aimed at specific regions. However, I do not support the idea that such content would only be available in the region the DLC was designed for. Not only would that fragment and disenfranchise many GT5 fans, it is also a very poor business model to recoup the development costs of DLC.

If you're feeling a bit bored with GT5's offerings, it's understandable. The game has been out for two years and there are other franchises have had multiple releases. One way I keep GT5 fresh is to try to match or beat lap times on the Top Gear track set by the Stig with as many matching cars in GT5 as possible. The challenge is to do it with stock cars. Truth be told, I'm shocked that this wasn't an earnable trophy quest.

On a slight tangent... GT5 has been out for two years now, lots of decent DLC released, a stream of updates, upcoming content (the C7), and the retail release of GT5XL. With speculation running rampant as to when the next XBox and PS4 will release, it's a safe bet that Polyphony is working on GT6. With the recent release that the Gran Turismo series is the highest selling PlayStation exclusive, I'm sure that Polyphony is in the same situation that Sony Santa Monica was in during the development of God Of War 2: They had the option of developing GOW2 for PS2 or PS3, and opted for a PS2 release because of the existing install base of customers. It may seem as if there's nothing new going on with GT5, rest assured that Polyphony is quietly working away at something.

Regardless of what could happen, there's plenty of life left in GT5 and I'd suggest try racing in the Monday events if you haven't already. GT5 has one of the finest group of online players and community anywhere.

Message 6 of 15 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Nov 21, 2012

The OP has NEVER suggested that these 'Regional DLC' packs can only be purchased or used in the region they come from. Kinda wish people would stop making that error.

As for me, I got enough American cars. Got enough EU cars. Got WAY enough Japanese cars!!!

But more tracks... that's the breath of life to those finding the game stale. GT5P was my first GT game (came form Shift prior to that), then GT5. I can't even imagine how stale some of you must find GT5 considering how few new tracks have been added since the GT4 (and even GT3) days... You've been racing Trial Mountain for how long? LOL

Personally, I'd be happy without a single new car until GT6 drops. But I would happily pay for as many new tracks as they can pump out. So far, the rumors (confirmed!) are Bathurst and Silverstone but no idea if for GT6 or DLC. Neither are US tracks, so holding our breath doesn't seem to be a good idea!

I'd also like to defend the US's position as a great road car racing area. There are some world class racing tracks in the US. And many of them FAR more significant to world racing than Motegi! Road America, Sebring, Watkins Glen... these tracks have witnessed some world class drivers, cars and events. And many more. Laguna Seca as the ONLY US non-oval track is pretty insulting, really...

And this from an Englishman (transplanted to the US for 30 years!)...

C'mon PD... it's OUR turn!

Message 7 of 15 (237 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 21, 2012

Clearing this now b/c I assumed this would be common sense, but yes, this is available to everyone. The title of the packs would be the north american pack, the european pack, and the japanese pack. The European pack could consist of the new Ferrari's in line, the Aventador, new jags, new mercs, beamers, whatever. That would def be nice, or even the new mclaren concept. All would be great. Tracks could be silverstone, maybe some sort of coast line circuit out of italy, Donnington, some setup of the autobahn.

But yes, THIS WOULD BE AVAILABLE TO ALL REGIONS, just each pack would focus on a culture. And to the dude above, there's plenty of rich tradition of American Motor Sports. Le mans series, Trans Am racing, Open Wheel, Stock Car, and the american muscle revolution old and even current. There's road courses in the states that are amazing, not to mention street circuits. Austin is one of the best tracks in the world.

Message 8 of 15 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3246 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 21, 2012

feldman9000 wrote:

And to the dude above, 

Assuming you're referring to me?  LOL  Woman LOL

feldman9000 wrote:

there's plenty of rich tradition of American Motor Sports. Le mans series, Trans Am racing, Open Wheel, Stock Car, and the american muscle revolution old and even current. There's road courses in the states that are amazing, not to mention street circuits. Austin is one of the best tracks in the world.

American Le Mans series is a rather young series, and as the name implies is an extension of European racing.
American Le Mans Series Wiki

As for the other types of racing mentioned, yes they are what built American racing heritage.  However my original point (which maybe I could have clarified better) was if you set aside the Americentric point of view, that from a global perspective none of these are considered to have as long of a history or rich of a tradition as European racing.

I'm not down playing American racing at all, and would love to see more of it in game, but after all, GT5 is not an American game.  It stands to reason we will have the least content.

Message 9 of 15 (223 Views)
VP of Gaming
28533 posts

Nov 22, 2012

feldman9000 wrote:

There should be 3 region based DLC's that focus around track's and manufacturer's for cars. American Pack, European Pack, and Japanese Pack. For the later, you can come up with ideas. But us American enthusiasts don't enjoy the constant Nissan's being released. This is what I would like to see as a simple pack.

Cars:

2013 Ford Mustang GT

2013 Dodge Viper

2013 Dodge Dart

2013 Ford Mustang V6

2013 Chevy Camaro V6

2013 Dodge Challenger V6

2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8

Tracks:

Circuit of the Americas at Austin

Watkins Glen

Road Atlanta

Road America

Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal

I would pay money for these.

Bro? EXPAND your horizons a bit. And the Dodge Dart is a reskinned Alfa Romeo Giuletta and comes with an option of a 1.4 liter turbo charged Fiat engine. So it's not exactly an "American" car now, is it? 

Message 10 of 15 (208 Views)
0 Likes