Fender Bender
3687 posts

Re: IGN article on GT6

Jul 4, 2012

I have to speak out against the "Do away with Standard Cars" crowd. 

Three things.

Standards drive just as well as Premiums.  Tune just as well.  And seldom has the pretty cockpit of a premium car helped it drive any better than any simular standard.

There are a LOT of cars we would lose which would be sorely missed by at least some of us.  Given the fact that premium GT cars are modeled as they are instead of being photo-realistic graphic overlays where all you need are decent photos and a good eye to make it LOOK right,  the time it would take to update the standards would make it impossible to do say 400+ models.  Not to mention getting access to the cars to do the modeling survey work.  I'd much rather have the Alpines and Renault 5 Turbo now as standards than not have them but MAYBE have them "someday" ...

I really can't tell the first difference between the cars at all at 150mph in the middle of a race.  Not a bit. 

Let GT stay what it is.  Let GT be the best driving simulator on any console.

Let the competrators be the best "Car Show Simulaor" if that is what they want.

It won't bother me at all.

Message 11 of 26 (333 Views)
MVP Support
44632 posts

Jul 4, 2012

I really can't see PD dropping the car count. That means Standards will probably be around for a while longer as they take the time to rebuild them into Premiums.

We will just have to suck it up. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 26 (330 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
346 posts

Jul 4, 2012

dmcallis wrote:

Three things.

Standards drive just as well as Premiums.  Tune just as well.  And seldom has the pretty cockpit of a premium car helped it drive any better than any simular standard.

There are a LOT of cars we would lose which would be sorely missed by at least some of us.  Given the fact that premium GT cars are modeled as they are instead of being photo-realistic graphic overlays where all you need are decent photos and a good eye to make it LOOK right,  the time it would take to update the standards would make it impossible to do say 400+ models.  Not to mention getting access to the cars to do the modeling survey work.  I'd much rather have the Alpines and Renault 5 Turbo now as standards than not have them but MAYBE have them "someday" ...

I really can't tell the first difference between the cars at all at 150mph in the middle of a race.  Not a bit. 

I think you misunderstand me. I am saying convert the standard into premium cars. You wont (or at least shouldnt) lose any cars.

MastrGT, I see what you re saying but that is what I would prefer for GT6. For GT5 on the otherhand, a simple generic looking cockpit view would be fine. If PD really wants to make cash, make as many of the standard cars of the GT series as possible and release car packs to fill in the rest. By this I mean if they were not able to make RUF premiums for GT6, leave it out and put it in a car pack for later on. I for one would pay for the cars to be premium

Get your Portable ID!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/3990
Message 13 of 26 (316 Views)
MVP Support
44632 posts

Jul 4, 2012

PD is unlikely to put a generic dashboard in cars, so don't get your hopes up. They didn't even want to put in the black mask, either, and generic dashboards aren't going to raise any cash at all, so it just isn't worth their time to change them again, at this point.

We also don't know how many rebuilds they will have for GT6, so there is no sense getting all worked up over them now. I would expect a few hundred more, maybe similar to what they had for GT5, but I wouldn't expect all of them to be Premiums, at this point. It may be possible, but we'll have to wait for word from PD.

Message 14 of 26 (312 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
346 posts

Jul 5, 2012

Fair enough.....the thing I am hoping for the most is better SFX.....and some more up-to-date cars for GT6

Get your Portable ID!
http://www.mygranturismo.net/3990
Message 15 of 26 (298 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Jul 5, 2012

Meh, I've read better forum posts dissecting GT5. This guy way paid to write this?

No self-respecting GT fan expected anything at E3 this year. We know better. I don't expect anything any time soon. If I had to guess GT6 would be a Christmas 2013 title, teasing early next year. Depends a lot on when the next console lands.

You can use your favorites list in arcade mode. You can add any car to your favorites list. I don't know of any arcade game that grants you access to the full range of cars right away.

Yes, GT's audio could be better, but that's about as common a complaint now as the lack of damage and skidmarks used to be...

No one really thinks standard cars will carry over to GT6. We're probably not getting a lot of DLC because PD is likely hoarding high quality models to be able to launch GT6 with a decent enough car count. So, calling for the removal of standards isn't much of a bold statement.

Something to consider though, is if you're going to call for the removal of the standard cars, some of which were modeled 10 years ago, then you should probably re-analyze the ratio of Japanese content. PD has brought us a richer assortment of cars, if you look at just premiums. Sure, there's still a Nissan and Japan bias, but I will never see how more cars is a bad thing. I also highly doubt that the inclusion of any Japanese car has ever meant the exclusion of any other car from any country.

DriverSports.org
Message 16 of 26 (292 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Jul 5, 2012

Destructo90 wrote:

Fair enough.....the thing I am hoping for the most is better SFX.....and some more up-to-date cars for GT6

When you say better SFX, what precisely do you mean? motion blur? everything shaking? what exactly are you talking about?

Original username: Redrkt
Original reg date: 12/30/03

Redrkt RacingTPRA ForumsCustoms Sigs
Message 17 of 26 (281 Views)
Treasure Hunter
6687 posts

Jul 5, 2012

Destructo90 wrote:

dmcallis wrote:

Three things.

.............. If PD really wants to make cash

5Gran Turismo 5PS32010RacingSony Computer Entertainment

7.66 Million Copies sold Worldwide and counting. In My Opinion, Gran Turismo 5  IS making PD & Sony Real Cash. I'm not sure what your idea of real cash is.....................

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Message 18 of 26 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3586 posts

Jul 5, 2012
I agree, we don't need 1,000 cars in the game. There are way too many cars I don't even care to own in this game. How many cars do you all drive on a regular basis? 20-30? How many cars do you have in your garage you've driven a couple times and have never driven it since?

We need current cars and classic cars from history, and I'm sure there are statistics the show what the most popular cars were from each regions history. We don't need cars like station wagons.

But I agree, we need quality over quantity. I'd prefer 500 premiums that are quality well known popular cars than 1,000 of just anything.
 photo PSForumSigPic1_zps15f972f0.png
Message 19 of 26 (264 Views)
MVP Support
44632 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 5, 2012

Kazunori said that there's a reason for every car and model in a GT. He also said that they probably should rethink some of them, but we won't see any results of that until the next full version, of course.

The revised plan for our Essential Car wish list is designed to help support them in any rethink, so I recommend that you put some of your own car ideas or desires in there. Smiley Wink

Message 20 of 26 (257 Views)