Wastelander
879 posts

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 18, 2011

henderse wrote:

I assumed that the original point to getting level 40 is to unlock full damage.  Is there any truth to this?  If so, you really don't have the full game until level 40 so it's a little more than just getting a gold star by ones name. I am only level 22, and I am close to finishing all of the events.  I can't imagine that I should have to reach level 40 to unlock something that should be available the second you select "Damage On".  Perhaps you more experienced players can clear some of this up for me. 

For reference - I'm level 30 A-Spec/Level 26 B-Spec.

Damage begins to be unlocked at level 20 with full damage unlocked at level 40, but there are seveal reasons for wanting to get to level 40 including (but not limited to):

• Nurburgring 24 hour endurance race unlocked (seen as the ultimate race for some)
  • Red Bull X1 available for purchase from the GT dealership
  • Full damage unlocked

Everyone will have thier own opinion on if it's worth the work to get to level 40; my personal position is to have fun driving & the levels will come with time.  While I'm just fine with damage not being fully unlocked until level 40 there are some who feel that everything should be available to the player from the time they put the disk in the PS3.  Personally I feel things should be worked for in a game & I like the fact that not everything is unlocked (this applies to Final Fantasy, NHL, Madden, City of X, Gran Turismo, etc.) so that a player is forced to demonstrate that they can handle the basics before they get to use the advanced tools/cars/techniques/etc.

As always, just an opinion.

Revengel

http://www.ps3attitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gran-Tursimo-5-Bottom-Banner.jpg

Message 91 of 97 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
20647 posts

Jan 18, 2011

The_Revengel wrote:

Destroyer95 wrote:

The_Revengel wrote:

I'm more than fine with the fact that it takes longer & longer to 'level up' as I feel that reflects just how long it really takes a person to become an expert driver.  To go from a 67 to a 98 in a hockey game shouldn't take two to four seasons & I feel the same applies here.

That's just it, this isn't real life, this is a fictional, fantasy video game.  One of the purposes of video games is so we can do things we are unable to do in real life, without having to achieve said goals in real-time.  If I wanted to spend however long it really takes to develop a driver, then I'd become one in real life and say to hell with these video games.  That's why things such as the "sim" feature exist on sports games, so we aren't forced to endure every single game of grueling 82-game seasons (I am not suggesting a "sim" feature be added to GT5, it was simply an analogy).

I understand this game is a no BS Racing Simulator, and that video games need to have replay value...and I'm all for starting from scratch and having to work your way up in games, but there also has to be a happy medium somewhere.  This isn't the only game people own, and they're not going to dedicate 100% of their gaming time to Gran Turismo 5 all day.

This reminds me of Halo: Reach.  I remember someone calculating the time it would take to reach the highest rank, which is 20 million XP (unless they've changed it since I last played like 3 months ago), which was something absurd like having to play 7 hours a day every day for the next 4 years or something like that.

To each his/her own, however there is something to remember here:

A happy medium will vary from person to person.

Someone may find that it's taking them twice as long as it's taken you and may feel that the game is*way* too hard.  Others may have gotten to level 30 in two weeks and may feel that the game is *way* too easy.  It's going to vary from person to person.  If there were 4 times the races in this game, but they were all at the Sunday Cup level of competition I don't think anyone would be happy (or they'd be done with the game in a week).  If there were four races but they were all Sebatial Vettle level or higher folks may call "shenanigans" and then you have the kids from South Park running wild across the place.

In general if a person goes about the game at their own pace they should be fine.  However for those who would prefer something easier/shorter/quicker/less realistic there are plenty of other options out there.

I personally prefer Gran Turismo 5 because it is realistic.  Before Gran Turismo I was a fan of "Out Run", "Race Drivin'" & even "Pole Position" because that's what was available.  However the goal for me was getting closer to driving a number of cars that I'd never get to in real life.  Gran Turismo gives me the most realistic representation of these cars & makes me become a better driver to advance.

As always this is my own personal view.  Others certainly feel differently (people buy NFS for a reason) and that's their choice.

Take care,

Revengel

TPRA

Completely understandable.  Good points.  It is definitely extremely difficult to find the happy medium that will please everyone.  No matter what a company does, there will always be unhappy people.

As you and others have suggested, I am definitely going to go about this game at my own pace.  My mindset will be, if I get to 40, awesome, but if I don't, no big deal.  It was still $60 well spent either way.

Message 92 of 97 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
217 posts

Jan 18, 2011

Damage begins to be unlocked at level 20 with full damage unlocked at  level 40, but there are seveal reasons for wanting to get to level 40  including (but not limited to):

• Nurburgring 24 hour endurance race unlocked (seen as the ultimate race for some)
  • Full damage unlocked

Thanks for clearing that up for me The_Refengel. 

I agree with you're openion that one should have something to work towards while playing such a challenging game/simulator.  The fact that PD calls this "The Real Driving Simulator" however conflicts with the concept of holding back one of the most important aspects of a simulator. 

A very small percentage of GT5 owners will ever reach level 40.  I have always been into flight simulators (IL2 Sturmovik), and damage physics are an important aspect of any simulator.  I understand that you have to add assists and variable difficulty levels to appeal to the more casual players, but for those of us who genuinely appreciate the challenge of a true simulator, don't hold back.  At least give me the option to have the full damage model when I play your "Driving Simulator" as part of the challenge while leveling up.

I'm one of those players who turns off the assists, turns the driving line off, turns the damage on (when I can), and drives only from the cockpit view.  I have to say, I'm really confused by some of PD's decisions. I'm a huge fan of Gran Turismo, but the laws of physics should never be suspended in a simulator.  

I apologize if I have gone a little off topic.

And I apologize for any typos or grammatical errors on my part. (First time I've ever had to make that statement on a forum)

Message 93 of 97 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
879 posts

Jan 18, 2011

henderse wrote:

Damage begins to be unlocked at level 20 with full damage unlocked at  level 40, but there are seveal reasons for wanting to get to level 40  including (but not limited to):

• Full damage unlocked

Thanks for clearing that up for me The_Refengel. 

I agree with you're openion that one should have something to work towards while playing such a challenging game/simulator.  The fact that PD calls this "The Real Driving Simulator" however conflicts with the concept of holding back one of the most important aspects of a simulator. 

A very small percentage of GT5 owners will ever reach level 40.  I have always been into flight simulators (IL2 Sturmovik), and damage physics are an important aspect of any simulator.  I understand that you have to add assists and variable difficulty levels to appeal to the more casual players, but for those of us who genuinely appreciate the challenge of a true simulator, don't hold back.  At least give me the option to have the full damage model when I play your "Driving Simulator" as part of the challenge while leveling up.

I'm one of those players who turns off the assists, turns the driving line off, turns the damage on (when I can), and drives only from the cockpit view.  I have to say, I'm really confused by some of PD's decisions. I'm a huge fan of Gran Turismo, but the laws of physics should never be suspended in a simulator.  

I apologize if I have gone a little off topic.

And I apologize for any typos or grammatical errors on my part. (First time I've ever had to make that statement on a forum)

LOL - I'm thinking (as a typo abuser myself) that if someone is going to take us to task for hitting the wrong key they need to take a bit of a soda break.

BTW, I turn off everything too...even ABS if I'm driving an old car.  By the way you can turn off the HUD too; you haven't lived until you've driven a 1966 Jag XJ13 at LeMans (De la Sarthe) in the night...in rain...with no ABS.  THAT is a good time!  And for the record I would have love to have full damage available from the start, but I'm perfectly happy to work my way closer to it.

BOT I suspect most folks who buy Gran Turismo 5 will not reach level 40.  It takes the same kind of dedication that it takes to dodge 200 lighning bolts (FF reference) or to take a player from being a rookie to the hall of fame.  Most folks won't do it or can't do it.  That doesn't make them lesser players nor does that make this a lesser game.

I believe the OP has the dedication & talent to reach the level 40 plateu.  Will she/he do it?  That remains to be seen.

See you all on the track,

The Revengel

http://www.ps3attitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gran-Tursimo-5-Bottom-Banner.jpg

Message 94 of 97 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
217 posts

Jan 18, 2011

Thanks!

Message 95 of 97 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
156 posts

Jan 18, 2011

Thats your answer(:

marsd95 wrote:

You all can go back to play COD, don't complain because a game is a challenge. 

Teheee Smiley Very Happy
Message 96 of 97 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Wastelander
879 posts

Jan 18, 2011

Kudos to you and all those who replied in this string with civility, opinion, thought and good nature.

This reminded me of how this forum used to be.  Perhaps I'll come back more often.

Be safe everyone, and OP...would you mind keeping us updated on your progress?

Revengel

Message 97 of 97 (55 Views)