Reply
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 11/21/2010
Offline
250 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 15, 2011

how and what make its 2006 lol. thats the weirdest comment ive seen yet lol.



Message 81 of 97 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/17/2008
Offline
3322 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 15, 2011

footballrule wrote:

I wish there was a "Friend Invite" button for online lobbies. I would host Nascar races with my friends to rank up easy.

Proud PS3 Owner Since Dec. 2006

At 6000 exp per win? Ranking up to level 5?

But ya online functionality in GT5 is so 2006...

Message 82 of 97 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/17/2008
Offline
3322 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 15, 2011

DaProjectTuRtle wrote:

how and what make its 2006 lol. thats the weirdest comment ive seen yet lol.

  • No friend invitations
  • no friend joining
  • no searching for rooms
  • limited categorization
  • 16 digit wii codes (just did the research it's actually for more digits than some wii friend codes)
  • creating a room from community>lounge is private only
  • boot to GT Life rather than lobby list
  • lack of fool-proof trading system
  • no dedicated servers hosting official races

This is stuff I expect from the earliest of PSN enabled games.

Message 83 of 97 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 11/29/2008
Offline
703 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 15, 2011

Littlebigplanet 2 is coming out next month, so i doubt i will ever reach level 40 on either A or B spec. If i keep my profile active, i might reach it in a few years.. but, i think im just going to play it for fun. The Seasonal races are pretty interesting. But, repeating the Endurance Races are not for me, even in b-spec... it ties up my PS3 and i cant watch a movie for example. Too much bother.

Message 84 of 97 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Big Daddy
Registered: 12/02/2005
Offline
20647 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 15, 2011

The_Revengel wrote:

I'm more than fine with the fact that it takes longer & longer to 'level up' as I feel that reflects just how long it really takes a person to become an expert driver.  To go from a 67 to a 98 in a hockey game shouldn't take two to four seasons & I feel the same applies here.

That's just it, this isn't real life, this is a fictional, fantasy video game.  One of the purposes of video games is so we can do things we are unable to do in real life, without having to achieve said goals in real-time.  If I wanted to spend however long it really takes to develop a driver, then I'd become one in real life and say to hell with these video games.  That's why things such as the "sim" feature exist on sports games, so we aren't forced to endure every single game of grueling 82-game seasons (I am not suggesting a "sim" feature be added to GT5, it was simply an analogy).

I understand this game is a no BS Racing Simulator, and that video games need to have replay value...and I'm all for starting from scratch and having to work your way up in games, but there also has to be a happy medium somewhere.  This isn't the only game people own, and they're not going to dedicate 100% of their gaming time to Gran Turismo 5 all day.

This reminds me of Halo: Reach.  I remember someone calculating the time it would take to reach the highest rank, which is 20 million XP (unless they've changed it since I last played like 3 months ago), which was something absurd like having to play 7 hours a day every day for the next 4 years or something like that.

Message 85 of 97 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 09/20/2010
Offline
420 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 15, 2011

After giving this some serious thought, I came to the realization I will never reach level 40. For me, the races serve as an introduction to the world of GT, and from there on out it's up to you to make that world come alive. When all the races are won, for me that's when the fun really begins. My favorite part of the game will always be the production cars. How far can I take a fully modded Civic through the ranks? Who makes the sport sedan with the best Ring time? How much faster is an E92 M3 vs. E46 M3? How about vs an E60 M5? Which one is the most fun to drive?  These questions egg me on to keep playing, and I realized recently that these little experiments and challenges that I treasure so much are not rewarded much point value - they are meaningless exercises in the eyes of PD. But I don't give a shit. I will be glad to do the endurance races as they come along, but I refuse to repeat races for hours and hours when there are millions of things I could be doing in GT5 that are way more fun. It's a shame that the level system was designed the way it was. Instead of  allowing players to take a patient, meditative approach to their growth,  PD has taken it upon themselves to judge the importance and value of each and every one of our actions throughout the game. Since the level points become more and more rare (and centralized in the endurance races), they created massive repetition, and are forcing players to miss the grand scope of the entire GT5 experience. As sad as it is though, it's a complete illusion, a digital carrot that dangles at the end of PD's stick. As a donkey I'm trying to keep the carrot out of my mind, and I'm going at the pace I want, in the direction I want to go.

Message 86 of 97 (42 Views)
Highlighted
Wastelander
Registered: 02/24/2005
Offline
879 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 18, 2011

Destroyer95 wrote:

The_Revengel wrote:

I'm more than fine with the fact that it takes longer & longer to 'level up' as I feel that reflects just how long it really takes a person to become an expert driver.  To go from a 67 to a 98 in a hockey game shouldn't take two to four seasons & I feel the same applies here.

That's just it, this isn't real life, this is a fictional, fantasy video game.  One of the purposes of video games is so we can do things we are unable to do in real life, without having to achieve said goals in real-time.  If I wanted to spend however long it really takes to develop a driver, then I'd become one in real life and say to hell with these video games.  That's why things such as the "sim" feature exist on sports games, so we aren't forced to endure every single game of grueling 82-game seasons (I am not suggesting a "sim" feature be added to GT5, it was simply an analogy).

I understand this game is a no BS Racing Simulator, and that video games need to have replay value...and I'm all for starting from scratch and having to work your way up in games, but there also has to be a happy medium somewhere.  This isn't the only game people own, and they're not going to dedicate 100% of their gaming time to Gran Turismo 5 all day.

This reminds me of Halo: Reach.  I remember someone calculating the time it would take to reach the highest rank, which is 20 million XP (unless they've changed it since I last played like 3 months ago), which was something absurd like having to play 7 hours a day every day for the next 4 years or something like that.



To each his/her own, however there is something to remember here:

A happy medium will vary from person to person.

Someone may find that it's taking them twice as long as it's taken you and may feel that the game is*way* too hard.  Others may have gotten to level 30 in two weeks and may feel that the game is *way* too easy.  It's going to vary from person to person.  If there were 4 times the races in this game, but they were all at the Sunday Cup level of competition I don't think anyone would be happy (or they'd be done with the game in a week).  If there were four races but they were all Sebatial Vettle level or higher folks may call "shenanigans" and then you have the kids from South Park running wild across the place.

In general if a person goes about the game at their own pace they should be fine.  However for those who would prefer something easier/shorter/quicker/less realistic there are plenty of other options out there.

I personally prefer Gran Turismo 5 because it is realistic.  Before Gran Turismo I was a fan of "Out Run", "Race Drivin'" & even "Pole Position" because that's what was available.  However the goal for me was getting closer to driving a number of cars that I'd never get to in real life.  Gran Turismo gives me the most realistic representation of these cars & makes me become a better driver to advance.

As always this is my own personal view.  Others certainly feel differently (people buy NFS for a reason) and that's their choice.

Take care,

Revengel

http://www.ps3attitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gran-Tursimo-5-Bottom-Banner.jpg

Message 87 of 97 (42 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 02/24/2005
Offline
879 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 18, 2011

Papa_Crazy424 wrote:

After giving this some serious thought, I came to the realization I will never reach level 40. For me, the races serve as an introduction to the world of GT, and from there on out it's up to you to make that world come alive. When all the races are won, for me that's when the fun really begins. My favorite part of the game will always be the production cars. How far can I take a fully modded Civic through the ranks? Who makes the sport sedan with the best Ring time? How much faster is an E92 M3 vs. E46 M3? How about vs an E60 M5? Which one is the most fun to drive?  These questions egg me on to keep playing, and I realized recently that these little experiments and challenges that I treasure so much are not rewarded much point value - they are meaningless exercises in the eyes of PD. But I don't give a ****. I will be glad to do the endurance races as they come along, but I refuse to repeat races for hours and hours when there are millions of things I could be doing in GT5 that are way more fun. It's a shame that the level system was designed the way it was. Instead of  allowing players to take a patient, meditative approach to their growth,  PD has taken it upon themselves to judge the importance and value of each and every one of our actions throughout the game. Since the level points become more and more rare (and centralized in the endurance races), they created massive repetition, and are forcing players to miss the grand scope of the entire GT5 experience. As sad as it is though, it's a complete illusion, a digital carrot that dangles at the end of PD's stick. As a donkey I'm trying to keep the carrot out of my mind, and I'm going at the pace I want, in the direction I want to go.


While there are a few places where I disagree with you, let me say this:

You, my friend, get it.

There are a ton of things in GT5 - not all of them may appeal to you right away or even at all - but there are lots of things to do.  If you concentrate on "Must get to levl 40" then...well...you've created a scenario where everything is based on getting that gold star/platinum trophy/level 40 instead of enjoying the game. 

I disagree with the statement that PD has determined that the comparisons that I marked in bold are irrelevant as you can do them fairly early in the game.  As you progress and gain more money you can upgrade & buy more cars.  Personally I do the endurance races either a) to get in some consistent track time or b) when I want to get that last bit to kick me up a level (just did that a couple days ago).  Mostly it's A.

I'll get to 40 eventually...but I'm not counting the days until it happens.  And it appears that neither are you.

And that's a good thing in my opinion.

Take care,

Revengel

http://www.ps3attitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gran-Tursimo-5-Bottom-Banner.jpg

Message 88 of 97 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 01/18/2011
Offline
217 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 18, 2011

I assumed that the original point to getting level 40 is to unlock full damage.  Is there any truth to this?  If so, you really don't have the full game until level 40 so it's a little more than just getting a gold star by ones name. I am only level 22, and I am close to finishing all of the events.  I can't imagine that I should have to reach level 40 to unlock something that should be available the second you select "Damage On".  Perhaps you more experienced players can clear some of this up for me. 







Message 89 of 97 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 11/25/2008
Offline
1832 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 18, 2011

The_Revengel wrote:

Satenh,

As you indicate that you already know all there is to know about fast driving, I'm assuming you've already placed in the top ten (or twenty) in the GT Academy.  I'll look forward to seeing your name listed as there are a couple folks that I've driven with that I know will get to the next round, and on in particular that I'm fairly certain will make it to the finals.  Best of luck to you on that front.

Next, you did mention that if one is an expert driver they shouldn't be forced to take as long (actually you used far less civil terms) to get to the more difficult races than beginners.  If you are an expert driver already then it shouldn't take long to get 60 golds on the tests & get to a level 28 in...I believe you said two weeks.

I'd say that this game is going about the same speed you'd like it to, assuming everything you've said is true (and I have no reason not to belive you) as you've become a level 28 in 14 days.

You indicate that the cars feel 'light' etc. and suggest that the physics are off.  While we both are neither high end programmers for PD or the like I'd default to a proper judge of these things.

Car & Driver.  Cars are their job & they would have a very fair view of what feels more accurate.  They pick GT5 over FM3.

That said, everyone will have their own personal feeling about what is more accurate.  Without owning all (or even most) of these cars and without driving the real-life courses in said cars, it's all speculation.

Each game has features that people either like or dislike - and that's true here as well.  You like to make decals and show off your work; that doesn't interest me personally.  However I love the track editor & I suspect you have no time/interest for that feature.  For me, a track editor has more to do with driving than car decals which is why I prefer the track editor feature and don't particularly care that there's not Livery editor.  You feel differently.  To each his/her own.

I've been top ranked in an online videogame myself - NFL 2K3.  I was top 5 and got as high as #2.

That did *not* make me an all pro in the NFL nor did it make me coaching material.  Because as wonderful as that game was is was a game, not real life.

Gran Turismo has bridged that gap and the evidence of it is the first GT academy.  That team - with the GT academy winner on it's roster taking a significant part of the race - finished second in Dubai (iirc).  I suspect that the winner of GT Academy II will have a similar sucess story, because GT is more realistic than any other driving game out for consoles to this point.  Until another game can make the same claim GT has the corner on that market.

On a personal note:

Don't even try the martial arts example that I read before.  I'm first dan myself (April 27th, 1992 was my test date) and I can tell you that if it takes a black belt "only 6-12 months" to 'master' another art then either the teacher glossed over the art or the art had no depth...unless it was an art *very* similar to the black belt's original style.  I'm 1st dan in Tae Kwon do - a hard style - and to say that I could pick up and master something like Savate in *six months* would be akin to my wife - a PHD in Human Development mastering Quantum Mechanics in six months...or my being able to master her dicipline in six months (no doctorate here - but a fan of Quantum Theory).

Your suggestion is flat out disrespectful because is suggests that *any* art can be mastered in six months, and you show no regard for the mental & spiritual portions of any martial art.

Be well,

Revengel

TPRA

(Starts slow clap)

You, sir, are one of the most eloquent, educated, well-written posters I have ever seen on any forum. I would really like to applaud your using a possessive before a gerund. I had an English teacher in Eighth Grade that literally told us that every single session. Every class- possessive before gerund, possessive before gerund, over and over and over. I am 27 now, and I think about it everyday- which is the frequency at which I hear of this incessant misuse.

I always seem to notice that in 99.99% of speaking, in life, on TV, on movies, The Freaking Presidents!, Senators!, Governors!, Police, DOCTORS!, and all other aspects of life, people do NOT use this correctly. It's as if they've never even heard of this rule.

When I see or hear someone that does this correctly, I feel absolutely obligated to say something about it. I pride myself on my writing, speaking, and my vocabulary, and I can see that you do as well. Congrats to us, sir, because we are a dying breed.

So, to keep this short(ish), I'll say, "My hat is off to you, sir. Well done."


Get your Portable ID!
www.facebook.com/thedisastronots
Message 90 of 97 (42 Views)
Reply
0 Likes