Reply
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/02/2010
Offline
2341 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 12, 2011


yak1 wrote:

i agree gt is why i got a ps3 best game made so far

I wonder how many of us there are who did that? I kept seeing the ads and started drooling over the game. Never owned a Playstation, Xbox, etc until two months ago...I've played my share of games, I suppose, but from the PC only, aside from a tiny bit on consoles owned by the few people in my age group who have them "for their kids" (coughs), but this game changed my tune. And I'm glad.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 41 of 97 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 02/06/2009
Offline
1312 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 12, 2011

BeefyPeeg wrote:

PayneKiller1509 wrote:

marsd95 wrote:

You all can go back to play COD, don't complain because a game is a challenge. 

The dying art of clean racing.



Grinding is the furthest thing from what anyone can honestly call a challenge.


I am nearly at level 31, and have found the best thing to do is not worry about getting to level 40.  What will you do when you reach it?  Shelf the game?  Exchange it?  Gran Turismo is not the type of game that yields much of a reward for completion.  Sure, you have the personal sense victory and completion, but just be patient and give it time - you'll get there soon enough.  However, if you still must have the big 4-0 predominantly displayed in the upper right-hand corner of your game screen, then here are some tips that may help:

- Try running the entire A-Spec career mode from the beginning using stock cars from the dealerships. 

- Try running the some of the same races you golded easily before with a dramatically less-powerful vehicle.  If the event typically runs 530 hp cars, bring out your 350 hp sports car.  Or better still, pick the last car on the list of "typical opponents", as it is usually something much less "dominating".

- Try handicapping your vehicle's performance by giving it various types of tires.   Moving from racing soft to comfort soft tires will make a world of difference in the difficulty of the race. 

- If you normally drive with the driving line on, try turning it off (this is especially fun at Nurburgring).  I still use it from time to time on various tracks, as I am still kinda learning them (haven't driven them as much).  It makes a huge difference turning it off. 

- Race online.  Join a room or start one.  Either way, you receive credits and experience points - not to mention (usually) a good time - for every position placed.  You are more than welcome to join in my bumper car races.  You'll have a blast, make some friends, and still earn credits and experience points. 

Hope this helps! 

Photobucket


once i finish gt life,( hopefully very soon) is when the real game will begin for me. through prologue my friends list is comprised of the best gt friends one could ever hope for. they  have amazing online events daily. at the moment i'm lvl 38 aspec, and will be lvl 38 bspec by tomorrow, so hopefully within 2 weeks i'll get to join my friends online, as i have really missed them. so for all of you that think the game is done once you reach 100%, lemme tell you you counldn't be more wrong.

Message 42 of 97 (14 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
Registered: 11/24/2010
Offline
8815 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 12, 2011

The_Revengel wrote:


I think we're very close - I could have been more specific in my reply.  Your second paragraph about hits it as the progression/grind (I say progression, you say grind) is reflective of just what it takes to reach that level of driver.  Kaz's real life driving experience has taken as many days (I suspect more days actually) than it would take in game-days to reach level 40.  Additionally I suspect with all the testing that he did (along with his staff; I'm not suggesting he did all or even most of the testing) he's played the game *way* more than it would take to get to level 40.

Granted, this is all speculation as neither of us know what Kaz has done IRL in this game.

Interesting thought on a creator/CEO/Project Leader playing the entire game before putting it on the shelves.  Do you feel that way across the board?  I'm curious as that could seriously delay the release of several games...especially if they would be required to complete it in each mode (some games have GM/Be a Player/Coaching modes for example).

Revengel

TPRA


I'm not suggesting that every creator/ceo/project leader would do this, but it Kazanori Yamauchi is not your average ceo/project lead.  He's a visionary and an artist.  A perfectionist.  Games where there is a personality behind the passion and drive of the game should probably have that personality play through the whole game, yes.  Maybe not every car on every track, but should at least progress to 40 before asking anyone else to do it.  I mean, he got to "pause" during his 24hr nurburgring, right?  There were two other drivers on his team?  Does he know what it's like to play a 24hr simulated race?  Maybe.  Maybe not.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 43 of 97 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 02/24/2005
Offline
879 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 12, 2011

anjen wrote:


yak1 wrote:

i agree gt is why i got a ps3 best game made so far

I wonder how many of us there are who did that? I kept seeing the ads and started drooling over the game. Never owned a Playstation, Xbox, etc until two months ago...I've played my share of games, I suppose, but from the PC only, aside from a tiny bit on consoles owned by the few people in my age group who have them "for their kids" (coughs), but this game changed my tune. And I'm glad.


Let me offer my testimony:

For my HTIB I tune it to one of three things:  The Hemi Challenger in 2 Fast 2 Furious, the Roar of the Balrog in LOTR & Gran Turismo 4, 5P & (now) 5.

When we moved the first thing that was placed was the sound system & TV with Gran Turismo in mind.

When I bought 'Prized Possession' - my 40th birthday present to myself - a 52" HDTV LCD I bought it with Gran Turismo 5 in mind (already having GT5P).

When the Fat PS3 died I got two PS3s:  A 160 for the wife (she plays NHL upstairs in the guest room) and the 320 for The Revengel.  That was about a week before Gran Truismo 5 came out.

So...yea.  I own a PS3 almost exclusively for Gran Turismo and it's sequels.. 

Been doing this since my original GT ('cept then it was a 13" tv, I had headphones & was working in a comic book store..!)

http://www.ps3attitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gran-Tursimo-5-Bottom-Banner.jpg

Message 44 of 97 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 05/06/2008
Offline
12271 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 12, 2011

I'm stalled at 36 A spec. I just don't have the time to run the two 24s, at this very moment. But, I could care less, because I've got a healthy community of league racing to tend to and participate in.

On Sunday we ran had 45 drivers out for a 60 lap race on HSR-R, with tuned up Miatas. Tonight it's Cappi RMs at Autumn Ring, and our first championship should get underway this Sunday. All of those races now pay XP and credits, so it even takes a little burden off of the grind.

www.tunerspit.com

DriverSports.org
Message 45 of 97 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 02/24/2005
Offline
879 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 12, 2011

ForgetfuI wrote:

I'm stalled at 36 A spec. I just don't have the time to run the two 24s, at this very moment. But, I could care less, because I've got a healthy community of league racing to tend to and participate in.

On Sunday we ran had 45 drivers out for a 60 lap race on HSR-R, with tuned up Miatas. Tonight it's Cappi RMs at Autumn Ring, and our first championship should get underway this Sunday. All of those races now pay XP and credits, so it even takes a little burden off of the grind.

www.tunerspit.com


*ahem* THIS!

Now this is my personal opinion but I feel the OP has a goal of "Get through GT5 as quickly as possible to get to the next game".  I may be wrong in that assumption and if so, I apologize to the OP.

But what Forgetful has here is a perfect example of the approach many of us have.  Why race to the peak of the mountain (bear in mind most mountain peaks are *barren & rocky*) when you can climb and enjoy the journey?

Try meeting & making new friends online, concern yourself (and ourselves) with becoming better drivers & the levels will come with time.

Just a suggestion to the OP & those who have the same view...

http://www.ps3attitude.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Gran-Tursimo-5-Bottom-Banner.jpg

Message 46 of 97 (14 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/04/2007
Offline
1680 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 12, 2011

THE POINT IS !!!!!!!

It took 5 years to make the game, and now those of us past level 30 feel ripped off there isn't more, fresh, races to do. Grinding should be a part of the game you choose to do, not have to do to level up. Instead of all the time it took to make and space taken up in the game, B-spec should have never happened.

Inbetween Extreme and Endurance there should have been at least 3-4 more levels to do (in place of B-spec) and after Endurance you hit level 40 and have enough money to buy whatever you want. The Seasonal Events are a really nice touch, that is until they  took away the restrictions. And they should come every week. There should also be input, ideas, from us to what next challenge a Seasonal Event should be, like a contest. My favorite so far was running the Nascars, 2 laps on the Nurbergring Ring, 13 miles.

To the POINT again, it took 5 years to make the darn thing, therefore it should give us at least 3 years of fresh play. As it stands, I finally put the game down 5 days ago to play something else because it seems life after level 30 it senseless. And the game has only been out a few months.

Mom can I have another quarter, pleeezzzzzzzz!!!!!
Message 47 of 97 (14 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 03/21/2010
Offline
2471 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 12, 2011

Like I said, race online, this game just isn't single player...  That's how these forums will clear up and we can resume our weekly routine of racing online w/out all the crying about doing 10 24hr races.

Message 48 of 97 (14 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
Registered: 05/06/2008
Offline
12271 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 12, 2011

MLT24 wrote:

THE POINT IS !!!!!!!

It took 5 years to make the game, and now those of us past level 30 feel ripped off there isn't more, fresh, races to do. Grinding should be a part of the game you choose to do, not have to do to level up. Instead of all the time it took to make and space taken up in the game, B-spec should have never happened.

Inbetween Extreme and Endurance there should have been at least 3-4 more levels to do (in place of B-spec) and after Endurance you hit level 40 and have enough money to buy whatever you want. The Seasonal Events are a really nice touch, that is until they  took away the restrictions. And they should come every week. There should also be input, ideas, from us to what next challenge a Seasonal Event should be, like a contest. My favorite so far was running the Nascars, 2 laps on the Nurbergring Ring, 13 miles.

To the POINT again, it took 5 years to make the darn thing, therefore it should give us at least 3 years of fresh play. As it stands, I finally put the game down 5 days ago to play something else because it seems life after level 30 it senseless. And the game has only been out a few months.

Mom can I have another quarter, pleeezzzzzzzz!!!!!

I usually feel ripped off when I'm done with a game to  soon. I got a platinum trophy out of Superstars V8 racing in 7 days.  That was only 19.99, and still a rip off. GT5 has been on the market for  just over 50 days, and I don't know anyone with platinum yet.

They gave us unlimited possibilities with online,  which is what GT sorely needed. Get with the times. A single player game  can only offer so much.

They're also giving us bonus races, which is more or less what you're asking for. If you want restrictions, impose them. Run on the same tires as the AI with an untuned car, and start working up slowly. At least that's what the creative among us have done to extend the experience of the bonus races. Self Control.

DriverSports.org
Message 49 of 97 (14 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 05/17/2008
Offline
3322 posts
 

Re: How on Earth am I ever supposed to get to A-spec level 40?

Jan 13, 2011

Sorry I know online stuff can extend the life of a game a whole lot but at the same time I can't help but be disappointed about how the favoritism for online gaming these days has put offline gaming in the back seat so much. Like I said one of the reasons I won't put this game down is because of split-screen racing. I couldn't be more happy GT5 still has this and did not go the way of NFS or Burnout and acknowledged that some people still have real friends playing with in person. And then in some cases online gaming has reduced the length and sometimes quality of many single player games these days, what used to take 20 hours last gen now only takes 5 or less.

I'm happy GT5 has a good mix of both, but at the same time, they could both have been done better.

Message 50 of 97 (14 Views)
Reply
0 Likes