Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1080 posts

Re: Head Tracking doomed to fail?

Aug 26, 2009

ForgetfuI wrote:
You won't be checking your blindspot though. You will move your head a bit, and it will be like pushing the 'look left' button. You will look out the side windows, for side to side movement, and maybe up and down just to see more of the interior.

this has been a huge source of aggrivation for me, especially on tight tracks, like Eiger; i'm really suprised with all the phancy physics that go into these titles (_especially_ GT) that they havent found away for the camera to automatically use some sort of average of the wheel direction, inertial direction, and weight transfer toat least fiarly accurately tell where the driver wants to be looking. it would be SO much easier to drift around corners if i can be looking at my A pillar (or at least that general direction since i use 'vertically-above-the-bumper-at-roughly-eye-level' cam. the eye toy extension sounds neat, but it seems unnatural and distracting to turn my head but keep my eyes focused someplace else... its like puppetry or something, and lets get one thing straight, i'm not puppeteering a car around the track, i'm effing driving.

Photobucket
Message 31 of 60 (32 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8363 posts

Aug 26, 2009

meatbag_ wrote:
i'm really suprised with all the phancy physics that go into these titles (_especially_ GT) that they havent found away for the camera to automatically use some sort of average of the wheel direction, inertial direction, and weight transfer toat least fiarly accurately tell where the driver wants to be looking. it would be SO much easier to drift around corners if i can be looking at my A pillar

This is a very good idea. It seems like it wouldn't be hard to implement either.

fuzzychickens wrote:
If you guys want a sense of what this will be like, here is an example of the same concept for the Wii. Ignore the led glasses because the playstation eye can use facial recognition for the tracking. Anyway, you should be able to grasp how cool this will be applying this to a driving game or flying game and especially NOTICE the enhance illusion of 3d!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw#t=2m45s Cool, yes?
Message Edited by fuzzychickens on 08-24-2009 10:53 PM

That was a really cool video.
Message 32 of 60 (32 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45631 posts

Aug 27, 2009
Johnny Chung Lee is a researcher at Carnegie Mellon University and he is one smart cookie.

Make sure you check out his web site for more than just Wii Remote projects, such as his cheap steady-cam project.

Cheers,
Message 33 of 60 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2160 posts

Aug 27, 2009

MastrGT wrote:
Johnny Chung Lee is a researcher at Carnegie Mellon University and he is one smart cookie.

Make sure you check out his web site for more than just Wii Remote projects, such as his cheap steady-cam project.

Cheers,

Yeah you know their not going to just throw it out there, without testing. Is this a confirmed feature.
Message 34 of 60 (32 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1009 posts

Aug 27, 2009

package11 wrote:

Yeah you know their not going to just throw it out there, without testing. Is this a confirmed feature.

If you mean the head tracking, no it isn't.  PD had some information up on their site that was quickly taken down.  Apparently, translating the info was tricky even for Japanese speakers.  The phrase in question could be taken as head tracking with pseye.  I tried translating in google translate and came up with something refering to looking around the 3d c0ckpit but it didn't mention the pseye.  That could be controller based and not pseye.  So just like everything else, we will have to wait and see.

Signature
Message 35 of 60 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1975 posts

Aug 27, 2009
Well I won't speculate but I hope the PS Eye and head tracking is true.  If so it would be eneough to make me go buy a PS EYE.
Old age is not for sissies.
Message 36 of 60 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6213 posts

Aug 29, 2009
i hate the guy that came up with it and showed it off on the wii
What Drives You?
Message 37 of 60 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3278 posts

Aug 31, 2009

greyghost2 wrote:
Well I won't speculate but I hope the PS Eye and head tracking is true.  If so it would be eneough to make me go buy a PS EYE.

Just do a calvins48 and shower yourself with all the playstation 3 peripherals!
I'm not 48 | TPRA Podcast | Follow @tunerspit on Twitter!

Wanna race online? Check out tunerspit.com today!
Message 38 of 60 (32 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
45631 posts

Aug 31, 2009
I see more than a few people are cutting into Johnny Lee Chung, lately, with some holier-than-thou one-upmanship attitude, but he was the one who started showing how head-tracking can be done cheaply with off-the-shelf technology. We have to learn how to walk before we run.

Here is a video showing the PS3 head-tracking/facial recognition technology at work.

Cheers,
Message 39 of 60 (32 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1436 posts

Aug 31, 2009

yah, no doubt, he was the god father of that, im glad its coming to the ps3, even if it was acquired by a page from Micro soffts book

eye has had plenty of purpose to justify its purchase, hell worth it for me for when the blue tooth dies or gets F"d up.

let hope the can implement it well into GT, i've always seen the issue of while using ur head to look you end up looking off ur screen,  would be masterful to have 360 look view of the interior with one of thos 180/ curved monitors.. im still hoping for a screen setup that allow 3 monitors views so you can places screens at ear sight left and right of you. but ill be lookin for that kinda customization in the PC world long before GT consoles.

Where i see this really improving is the new Motion control games, a perspective of the game will make for some really unique experience.

Listen to the lullaby
of carbon monoxide

Message 40 of 60 (32 Views)
0 Likes