Fender Bender
3040 posts

Re: Gt5 vs. forza 4 the differents in companies when it comes to muscle cars to me

Oct 3, 2012
What about those of us who dont feel like blowing another $300 on another system? Lets pretend like Forza was really great and I had a chance to play it. Would it be good enough for me to say," WOW! I have to get this!"? (not sure how to punctuate a screaming question Smiley Very Happy)

Do GT fans really go to the Forza forums and post how GT is better than Forza? Maybe thats the best thing about GT5. The ppl that play it arent a bunch of prepubescent little schmux (sic) who thinx (sic) the world revolves around them.

Or maybe I should just post the video of Forza Horizons again and be done with it. Smiley Very Happy
Dirty_Harry44
Message 11 of 66 (414 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Re: Gt5 vs. forza 4 the differents in companies when it comes to muscle cars to me

Oct 3, 2012

Actually the GT fans go to the 4za forums and whine about GT, and how happy they are now that they're on "the dark side", at least for a few weeks...

Well, on the "non official" forums.

The official forum is so heavily moderated and censored you can't sneeze while posting without being questioned.

After a month or two... Those same people are whining about all the stuff wrong with the other game. And about the CSR wheel debacle and what not. Some say "I'm going back to GT5..." Others just wander aimlessly off into the sunset.

The problem is they aren't looking for anything in particular, just something "new". They have no idea what they want or need, they just want to stuff their faces with eye candy. That all fades with time. Once they realize that the games each have their unique strengths and weaknesses, as do all games, they just wander off to the next new thing and do it all over again. They'll be back for GT6 and do it all again.

The truth is, neither is perfect. I enjoy them as best I can. When I can drive, I find GT the better driver, but the other has better events. When I can't, I can go paint, play in the Auction house or storefront. Trade. All the stuff GT doesn't have. Or go watch TV or take a nap or try to walk to the kitchen. Yes, it's really that much of an impact, though it is quite enjoyable to see a creation from your mind come to life. It's far from perfect, but as all things, it just helps to pass the time until I can really eat again, which when I fire up the PS3's and do some real driving.

Or it's Friday or Sunday, and it's time to have another picnic with Oz and friends.

Oh, I really should mention this... 4za has absolutely NO clue about tracks.

None.

The cars are cool enough, some real interesting rides.

But unlike PD, they don't do track anything, so you're stuck looking at the same tracks over and over and over. Kind of like the feeling you get when you're on Grand Valley... Again... Only on EVERY track. They just have no interest in doing anything about it apparently. It's been that way since F3.

PD could end the debate tomorrow with a couple fixes... Seriously. The companies themselves are the ones that keep shooting themselves in the foot to keep from winning the race. PD has such an advantage it isn't funny, but they don't use it. T10 could be much bigger than it is, but it's content with it's DLC money.

As it is I have 2 PS3's and 1 Xbox. 2 copies of GT5, probably another 2 when the Academy version has been out awhile and comes down in price a bit if that tells you anything.

If I could take some of the other games cars and options and put them here, I'd have no need for another box at all. It's just there are days when I can't drive, and GT really doesn't have a ton to do then... Otherwise I'd have limited use for the other box at all really.

_________

Photobucket
Message 12 of 66 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 3, 2012

Dan_Zitions wrote:

Actually the GT fans go to the 4za forums and whine about GT, and how happy they are now that they're on "the dark side", at least for a few weeks...

I feel there needs to be a distinction made, for argument's sake, between a  "GT Fan" which I'll call a hardcore enthusiast, and a "GT Player".

I have heard of ZERO hardcore GT enthusiasts who go and get their racing enjoyment from Forza.  Some like yourself, if I may use the example, use Forza as a creative outlet and for the means of achieving some of the freedom that you are forbode in GT5.  But when we talk about people leaving the franchise for something better, I think the emphasis needs to be on those who are seeking a higher quality of online racing experiences.  THEY do not leave GT for forza (apparently).  They leave GT for iRacing and the pre-alpha versions of pCARS.

IMO the people leaving GT for Forza are mostly comprised of those who buy all the new racing games and run them until they hear each is no longer the newest and most played game -- that there's something "better" only to stay there only momentarily as well.  They are also the trophy hunter types.  I never understood why someone needs to collect trophies.  But many have this as a full time job it seems.

I consider you, Dan to be more of an outlier in the statistics.  Someone who is a relatively hardcore enthusiast, albeit disillusioned to a high degree, AND someone who wants the ability to play around in a sandbox in a game and GT just doesn't supply that, so you go to Forza for some of that.  In other words, you're incredibly special Smiley Happy

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 13 of 66 (395 Views)
Fender Bender
3040 posts

Oct 3, 2012
To me, it just seems a little odd. Does it really matter which is better? Most ppl have either console. Not both. Yes, Im assuming considering the current state of the economy. So, if most ppl have 'only' one console, why would it really matter which is better? I 'only' have a PS3 (obviously), so I guess Im irrelevant. This is stricly a matter for those w/ both systems. Guess I'll stay away.

P.S. after watching that vid I still feel like I made the right decision. Smiley Wink
Dirty_Harry44
Message 14 of 66 (382 Views)
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Oct 3, 2012

Not that it matters in the grand scheme of things, but I just want to point out that Forza Horizon is NOT an official Forza release.  It's a spin-off geared towards the Need For Speed crowd.  So comparing GT5 to Forza Horizon makes ZERO sense.

Message 15 of 66 (375 Views)
Fender Bender
3679 posts

Oct 3, 2012
But it's fun.

(The comparison I mean)

Smiley Happy
Message 16 of 66 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 3, 2012

the question then becomes... should PD respond to the release of FOrza Horizons?  There are probably two camps within their company... some would say yes, just to keep racing on the Microsoft console less appealing, and some would say no, just because it isn't really a sim that is going to pull people away from GT.

well, not the hardcore enthusiast like I described above, anyways.  THEY will not be leaving for Forza 4 OR Forza Horizons.  but that doesn't mean they won't leave...

Message 17 of 66 (362 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28811 posts

Oct 3, 2012

It just seems like there's no game out there that doesn't give Playstation owners an inferiority complex. There's people STILL after ten years saying "but... but... but.. Halo?!". Now this. 

Message 18 of 66 (345 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Oct 4, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

It just seems like there's no game out there that doesn't give Playstation owners an inferiority complex. There's people STILL after ten years saying "but... but... but.. Halo?!". Now this. 

Smiley Very Happy

I think it's deeply rooted in some people's need to be affiliated with "the winner", or "the winning team", to be on the winning side.

It's why you see team jerseys suddenly appear because Tampa Bay went from 0-26 to super bowl champs. Before that, there were people who didn't know they had a team.

Some people just have this need to be playing THE game, whatever it is.

In my case, I don't really care. If I have the cash, and the time, I play it. If I like it, I keep playing it.

GT5 happens to be a bit different because I happened to get a PS3 and GT5 for Christmas... By the next week I couldn't speak, walk, think.

If I had gotten X Box and 4za first, who knows. As I didn't have a good wheel for it at first it was frustrating, but it still would have been the act of driving, that act I'd done day in and day out to the tune of over 1/2 million miles that enabled things to reconnect as they did. I had F3 also, and played it on the son's box, so it wasn't a "new" thing for me either.

But even then, I've been playing GT off and on for so many years. My son and I went through a couple PS2's for sure. I have a few memories of GT2 and the opening of GT4, Van Halen's Panama IIRC forever etched in my mind. I remember racing my son split screen in rally cars, hearing the stone under the wheels, trying to get the corners just right to beat him and appreciating an aspect of the game largely ignored now. I still remember that KILLER Mitsubishi with dual turbos, green and ugly but with some very cool 5 spokes courtesy the wall of wheels. Nothing could beat that car. I also remember it got heavily nerfed the next generation of the game, and how sad I was to have to find a new car to claim as favorite... LOL.

And EX, you're right, I am special. But only cuz the state says so now. But I'm not disillusioned. I am passionate and have some rather strong convictions about some things, and they extend into GT land as you've seen. They extend into 4za land too. I gripe about the simple, painfully obvious gaffes there too, when I'm not censored by the mods because I dared say anything was wrong on the mighty forza ship of love and happy happy racing people.

I doubt I'll ever mess with I Racing, but the first game that comes along that lets me have a decent drive, and gives me that bit of extra off track depth will be where I end up. There are simply days I can't drive, and I'd rather just have one console to be honest. Horizons won't be it, but it will be different. The off road, no velcro guard rails, day to night with limited worry of tuning or 20 racing versions of the same car. But then again, they're taking the EA approach to it, selling every imaginable thing they can think of to milk it for all it's got and then some. I hate that way of doing business, so once done with whatever I bought, I doubt I'll be making a lifetime investment or anything. 

Even then, it always comes back to GT, where we still can't even let set up a decent lounge spec wise, and we still have more useless clutter and spinning garbage than the wife left behind. One thing I can say in all honesty is the Rivals system and the events over there are more fun than the seasonals over here, and there aren't any AI involved... Just you against the world. I find it quite a challenge to get into the top couple thousand out of 50,000 in the drags without having to buy a tune. I do it all myself, and I make a dent. It's very satisfying to me to get there. It's always different, except for the track.

If I could really control some aspects of the cars in my lounge to ensure no cheats, like no PP altering parts, you could bring that aspect to GT. You could do real TT type events without the need to enforce the bogus default everything or cars with no changes. A simple "no detuning" button. A simple "no stages" button. Basic stuff... It would go a long way to making the online play so much better for those of us that can't do certain things well.

Someday some company gets it...I hope it's PD, but given almost 2 years of asking for some things, not to mention all the stuff asked for in prologue, it's clear PD is not really interested in those simple things. That makes me sad, as GT is probably what you'd call my first love. But I got married 3 times, so it's not like I can't find a new home if I have too.

As always, the ball is always in PD's court. They can do it if they want to, and own this market outright tomorrow.

Maybe they get it someday.

Then I can finally release my inner fan child... Smiley Tongue

__

Photobucket
Message 19 of 66 (320 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Oct 4, 2012

I think what's the most frustrating is that first of all, GT5 IS the best racing game to have come out when it came out, and in some regards, still is the best racing/car driving game ever made.  I even once made a post that "GT5 is one of the biggest technological achievements of our time" and I meant it.

But as you play it more and more, one realizes that in every bit of genius they are obviously missing something bigger.  MORE potential than they let out.

I feel like they know the perfect driver's/racer's game is right around the corner and they will be producing it.  I wonder if they believe if they gave it to us, we'd never have a reason to buy another GT.

But the truth is, we don't need more than one GT release per console.  Make the best one you can, continuosly update it, wait for new hardware, and do the things you couldn't do the last time.

Especially if the PS4 (if) has 4x resolution and there is a market for that, then GT6 (if on PS4) would have amazing new detail ability and it would feel like a new game.  They could still give us all of the features of GT5 that made it work... things we asked for and things htey forced on us... whatever.

But I feel like GT maybe has "cellphonitis"  a term I just made up to describe how companies purposefully don't release all of the goodies they could, just so that their next generation of products has something to entice you.  But that is not just true of features, but of service plans.  They are the best example.  Texts have never cost much to send.  The companies are constantly sending signals back and forth to your phone anyways in the background.  It's been proven.  So why did they EVER need to charge YOU for texting?  Notice how they no longer do?  It's part of your plan and you're not made to feel like you are burdening their system by sending a few bits of info across their massive network.  BUT they played us like fools for a long time and different providers jokey'd back and forth with who had the best rates for texts and other features.  There is no reason why company "A" could not have put company "B" into the ground in one fell swoop by simply saying, "we don't charge you for texting at all and the other guys do".  Bam.  Done.  Stock soars.  Competition dies until someone can find a way to offer the same.  At least competitors would follow suit so that they could stay afloat.

It's an example of how corporate strategy keeps the public from much needed technological advances.  Nevermind the Mayan calandar and the countdown some people are chanting... what about the countdown for 2015 when we're supposed to have flying cars and hover boards and a weather service that's as dependable as the postal service?  j/k  but hopefully people get the point.

We haven't advanced much technology-wise in the past 15-20 years as far as what we have in our homes or can use in our lives.  Sure, computers are faster, can run more apps, our phones are more powerful than our computers were only a short time ago.  But that's all gimmicky nonsense.  It does't change the human experience very much.  Since the internet was brought into widespread use, what else has happened of any real significance?  You got it.  Your phone is really awesome.  What a testimony of human ability!

Message 20 of 66 (308 Views)