Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Sackboy
492 posts

Re: Granturismo:ILLEGAL STREET RACE

Nov 13, 2012

GT5 is just fine the way it is. Everyone screams for more cars, tracks, custom your car anyway you want to like Forza. I wouldn't mind more cars or tracks, but I'd go tracks over cars. It's a DRIVING/RACING SIM, not a illegal street racing game. I don't have a problem with Fast and Furious, as I own all 5 movies on Blu-Ray, I think some of those cars are awesome, but Dom's red RX-7...I have one that looks almost exactly like that. You can make GT5 cars look very nice if you pick the right rim and the right paint chip. That's just my input.

But don't change the game at all.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 65 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2942 posts

Nov 13, 2012
I think it would fail the same as NFS has failed (IMHO) at making a closed course racing game. I would be into NFS if it kept the Underground theme.
While it is irresponsible and all that which is why it should be on a video game. But I guess that just promotes doing it in real life also so it looks to be a lose lose situation no matter how you look at it. Hmmm.
Dirty_Harry44
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 65 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6655 posts

Nov 13, 2012

Illegal Street Racing is a terrible idea for Gran Turismo. The vast majority of GT users, I doubt< would be in support of such an idea. Those that do like it have an easy solution: Go play Need For Speed.

Problem Solved.............:smileywink:

photo Can-AmRacingFerrari350SWERVSig3_zps05defb05.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 65 (283 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8417 posts

Nov 13, 2012

that's really the only logical argument... You want what another game already has, then go play it!

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 65 (264 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Nov 13, 2012

I'd rather not see the GT franchise associated with something like that.  Don't get me wrong I've nothing against those types of games I just don't think it's a style that best fits what Gran Turismo is, if they were to sub-contract or rent out the name / game to have something like that produced by another company I likely as not wouldn't buy it on principle.

That being said if I do ever want to get "Fast and Furious" or delve into the world of arcade action racing with ridiculously unrealistic power slides, nitrous and other such frippery I have the Midnight Club franchise to sate that particular urge.

However there are some elements that could be brought into the GT series that you might find in some NFS type games, among other non-game changing elements I'm specifically thinking of tracks or circuits run on closed roads.  Point to point races along closes sections of mountain roads, highways and such, more closed city circuits and that type of thing.

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 65 (251 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8417 posts

Nov 13, 2012

shiiiiiiyooooot.... GT5 has a pace car w/ cop lights on it and lots of fast street cars.... go have your "illegal" race any time you want in GT5.  Just make sure you label your game lobby accordingly :smileywink:

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna (FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only)
GT Saturdays Event Thread
Ex's Racing VideosSupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 65 (246 Views)
PlayStation MVP
24691 posts

Nov 17, 2012

I see plenty of that up and down my street already. Those jack wagons who pour ten thousand dollars into a 1990 Honda Civic that burns oil like an absolute PIG, take it down to a stretch of road we have called Long Wharf, and say "let's see what this baby can do!". Well guess what? You're not cool, and you're still driving a twenty two year old Honda Civic. 

I don't want that in real life, and I don't want that in a game either. 

Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 65 (205 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24691 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 17, 2012

exXboxFan wrote:

while I do loathe the idea of PD's engines being used in a street racing game, I would love to see GT-like physics in a game like Grand Theft Auto.

I'd like to run from cops while shooting out the window while having realistic car physics... not that GT should include such a game mode, but it would be nice if GTA could have more real physics.

The whole idea of Grand Theft Auto is it's an exaggerated version of reality. It's not supposed to be "real". It's cartoonish by design. 

How about rather than a Grand Theft Auto type of game, where you encourage sociopathic and anti-social behavior, they make an actual RACING game? V8 Supercars, World Touring Car Championship, Formula Ford, GP2, American LeMans Series, classic touring cars, 60's Grand Prix racing.  I know some may think this is "boring" because it doesn't replicate that feeling you get from breaking the law and getting away with it, but this type of racing is infinitely more interesting and requires much more skill than whatever those knuckleheads do on Saturday night. 

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 65 (204 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

[ Edited ]
Nov 19, 2012

I think what threads like this are all about is the recognition that PD's physics model is quite possibly the best in a console game. Many of us WOULD like to see games similar to what other studios put out, but with the realistic physics that PD achieve.

I believe that PD are missing an obvious opportunity here. Sure, you don't want GTA or Hot Pursuit rolled INTO GT6, but how about GT6's physics rolled into NEW games that leverage their handling model..?

The thing is, if PD don't do it, sooner or later, their competition WILL. TBH, each iteration by other studios gets closer and closer to what PD can achieve vis a vis realistic handling. In many ways, on many racing games, these other studios already beat GT5 in many practical gameplay and realism categories. But PD keep their nose out in front solely because of the handling model. The problem with this though, is that it is a one trick pony approach. All it takes is one or two competitors equaling (let us not even imagine bettering it, the horror!) this handling model, and PD find themselves in a lot of hot water. With the edge these other games have at making racing, drifting and just plain DRIVING a lot more FUN than PD do, add in decent handling, and who is going to want to play GT games?

I don't really see the reason for the horror that some are showing at the thought that PD might bring out a GTA or HP style game... By the same logic that they go 'If you want to play games of this ilk, go play the games that already do it', if PD brought out these kind of games (but made them SO much better by not including awful arcade handling models), one would simply need to say 'If you don't like PD's combat-style games, don't play them!'.

But, one way or the other, PD need to realize that the competition keeps inching closer. Were it not for the handling, there are already several racing games that seriously beat PD at many aspects of the racing experience. If the handling is the ONLY real edge that PD maintain, it's going to be 'Game Over' if anyone ever manages to equal PD in this one gameplay factor unless PD start to develop games that equal THEM in their strengths...

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 65 (167 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41466 posts

Nov 19, 2012

Destinkeys wrote:

I believe that PD are missing an obvious opportunity here.

PD spends years developing their game engines and tools to build a GT and the result is that no company credits precede opening the game. Do you really think PD will give that culture up just to make a few bucks from possible cometitors?

Destinkeys wrote:

The thing is, if PD don't do it, sooner or later, their competition WILL.

History does not back that up, as far as I know. Name some good sim companies that have ever done this.

If an upstart company wants to get into the sim world, then they can either develop their own tools and engines, the way PD, Codemasters and WMD did or they can use some of the open sourced or licenced physics engines, such as Unity, NeoAxis or Unreal (if any of them are appropriate enough for driving sims...). Licence costs would be worked into their business model, so no big deal there.

I just can't imagine any developer worth his salt going on bended knees asking for a handout from PD. Even if they ever did, the game would probably not be worth buying.

Do we end up with poor console physics models without PD's help, in the first place? Yes and no - no sim is perfect. It depends on the particular sim, but bad physics is not something I hear about much, nowadays.

Destinkeys wrote:

But, one way or the other, PD need to realize that the competition keeps inching closer.

This is a different issue than selling their development work to others. Voids will get filled, eventually, but not because PD will loosen its grip on its game engines.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 65 (161 Views)