Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1137 posts

Re: Granturismo:ILLEGAL STREET RACE

[ Edited ]
Nov 27, 2012

Destinkeys wrote:

O horror! I have a different opinion to some here! I guess, not being one of the sheep, I must be one of the wolves?

Such absolutism, from so many so young!

I have to laugh when Kaz, PD and the 'Japanese approach' is used as a reason WHY illegal street racing shouldn't be in a game from over there, when touge is actually FROM there! Illegal street racing has been a part of Japanese car culture for a long time. I think altogether too much attention is given to theoretical impressions of Japanese culture and not enough attention paid to what's actually going on. Manga and anime celebrate this car culture, even Wangam Midnight's car gets into the game, and you think Kaz wants nothing to do with it?

But it's nice to know that merely having a difference of opinion from the few who post here (don't kid yourselves in any way you represent GT5 players.... this forum is almost the sole province of a few, vocal but small in numbers posters and pretty small compared to other forums) is enough to brand me not a 'racing/driving enthusiast'! I'm sorry guys, but after 50 years of interest in the sport, your little acne'd opinions don't really carry much weight.

Tell me about YOUR racing/driving enthusiasm in another 30-40 years time! It isn't hard to tell how old some of you are.

I am far from being a kid.....I have been gaming since Atari, been playing with/racing cars in some way or another since I was 5.  It seems you have been insulted by me saying you are not a true driving enthusiast.  I did not mean to insult you..... but it is obvious because if you were, you wouldnt be saying the stuff youre saying.  you may have 50 years of interest.... but I doubt you ever really really wanted to race(real cars).  I love racing.... I wish I had the means to afford to dump mountains of cash into a brand new car and hit the (real) circuit but that isnt the case.  GT5 is the closest thing I can get to racing competition.... I only play online and when I do play offline is because I need something for online.  what you are suggesting is close to blasphemy to certain people.  I fear you somehow will not understand me tho......its all good.

GT5    The Real Driving Simulator

aka smokeethetire
Message 51 of 65 (290 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Dec 3, 2012

I would spend around 80 USD for this game, for a disc that takes 7 usd to make, you don't think Gran Turismo would benefit more, what competition is their. Need For Speeds suck now and midnight clubs aren't being made anymore. Why wouldn't they, there's an obvious interest.

Message 52 of 65 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 4, 2012

XxOperaSingerxX wrote:

I would spend around 80 USD for this game, for a disc that takes 7 usd to make, you don't think Gran Turismo would benefit more, what competition is their. Need For Speeds suck now and midnight clubs aren't being made anymore. Why wouldn't they, there's an obvious interest.

those games suck because they do what you're asking... that sort of gameplay is... "played out", to use a 90s term.

GT has been a staple of racing enthusiasts for decades because they have stuck to their guns.  Sure, they listen to some requests of fans, but won't make the game into someone else's vision just because you have 80 bucks to throw down.

I know!   Why don't you go to the NFS and Midnight club forums and try to get them to improve their physics model?  That would be a better addition to their games, than illegal street racing would be for GT games.

It's been repeated ad naseum, and people still don't get it.  GT is a track-day game, not a juvenile adventure into breaking the law.  Real car enthusiasts in actual real life respect those who take their cars to the track rather than trying to show how big or small their manhood is on the public streets we all have to drive on with our kids.

In a local town on Thanksgiving this year, a middle aged man went out to grab that one ingredient his wife had forgotten at the store.  Something they needed for their big family dinner.

He was killed by two street racers while he was out, and one of them had the nerve to try and flee the scene.

THAT IS THE REALITY OF WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR.  DEATH.  MURDER.  Grow up and stop litering this forum with this filth.

(excuse the caps, but there is a time and a place)

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 53 of 65 (234 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Dec 4, 2012

adendum to clarify I do not feel there is anything wrong with playing games about destruction.  I have a few myself.  You just have to be mature enough to realize they are games and not to be replicated on real roads.

GT, however, has an entirely different focus and if someone wants GT physics for a game about destruction, they should lobby those other companies to enhance their physics rather than asking PD to dumb-down the GT franchise.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 54 of 65 (225 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Dec 4, 2012

I'm not really sure PD has any focus at all...

If it's a racing game, where is the racing detail? Where is qualy? Where are the rules? Where's my race lap time chart to compare fastest laps? Where are the decals? Where are the grid girls? (LOL) Where did the sound go? Where's the choice between rolling and standing starts? Where are the track workers to remove on-track debris? Where's the clag? Where is mixed class racing?

If it's a DRIVING game, where are the streets to drive on? If all you can drive on are RACING tracks, well, then it's a racing game... but a poorly realized one.

For GT5 to be a driving game, well, you should be able to drive any way you want. Including illegal street racing, with illegal street racing's usual obstacles and dangers.

Look, obviously I don't think PD should simply copy NFS Most Wanted, or Burnout, or any other game. If I wanted a copy, I would play the original. So would anyone asking the question here (including the OP)... What we are looking for is an ADULT'S version of those types of games. Just as GT5 is an adult's version of the arcade racers, why not an adult version of Most Wanted? To me, that's not dumbing down PD. That would be PD un-dumbing-down the genre.

Message 55 of 65 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Dec 4, 2012

I'm just going to repost my statement since all DK seems to do is state the same point over and over again but expecting a different result.

Tuismo came out in 92.  Most of us have been playing Turismo since then.  Why on earth would a developer change the direction of a series after 20 years of success just to accommodate a totally different genre of racing?    Pretty sure Kaz wants to promote the sport not put a spotlight on illegal street racing which is nothing more than unorganized drag racing.  Considering most drag tracks charge around 10$ to race all day illegal street racing is beyond pointless.  Promoting it in Turismo, a game that actually produces race drivers through the  academy, I highly doubt there'll ever be an illegal street racing part to it.  

Side note, how strange is it to have a 50+yr old man refer to anime and try to convince us that illegal street racing is something that should be in the game?  Is it upside down day?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 56 of 65 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Dec 5, 2012

LOL... old don't mean 'old'! Wait til you get there, you young whippersnapper! Now get off my lawn..!!

Many other venerated games have managed to change directions over the years, or branch out into other different but related genres. What's the problem? PD too calcified to succeed at it?

There's ALREADY an illegal racing aspect to GT5. Its enforcement of common racing rules is virtually non-existent. And add to that that you can disable ALL rules enforcement and drive around pretty much as any other illegal racing game. Only difference is, PD force you to do it on race tracks...

Side note, strange to berate someone for doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, then go and do exactly the same thing yourself! Point that finger at someone, four fingers pointing back at you... ;-)

Message 57 of 65 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Dec 5, 2012

lol @ DK, I didn't expect a different result, I expected you to do exactly what you did.  You clearly missed the point. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 58 of 65 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Dec 5, 2012

which you keep repeating... alas!

Message 59 of 65 (173 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1034 posts

Dec 5, 2012

Destinkeys wrote:

There's ALREADY an illegal racing aspect to GT5. Its enforcement of common racing rules is virtually non-existent. And add to that that you can disable ALL rules enforcement and drive around pretty much as any other illegal racing game. Only difference is, PD force you to do it on race tracks...

There's already an illegal racing element in Battlefield 3, players can hop in jeeps, humvees, quad bikes and other vehicles then race around on tarmac and dirt roads in various maps if they choose to do so.  Only difference is you're racing in a war zone, there are no rules, your passengers can even shoot at each other.. have you considered contacting DICE / EA and asking them to make Battlefield: Horizons?

There's already a destruction derby aspect to GT5, there's some degree of visual and mechanical damage and you can break pieces off of certain race cars, there's even a figure 8 type track where cars can collide with one another.  You can pretty much make your very own destruction derby where everyone just tries to wreck eachother and break their cars.   Only difference is the damage modelling isn't really good enough.. but maybe PD could improve that and make Gran Turismo: Smash 'em Up Destruction Derby!

Photobucket

"Not visualising the equine bestowment via it's verbilisation aperture!"
"Every silver lining has a touch of grey.. "
Message 60 of 65 (162 Views)
0 Likes