Uncharted Territory
1819 posts

Re: Gran Turismo 5 Information thread

Aug 30, 2010

cipriani99 wrote:

This is from a Spainish site:

Rally with Day/Night from gamescon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rBcUo6el5U&feature=channel

Looks like the "Driving Line" will be useful at night, unless you can hit "High Beams" (assuming that those were not...)...Also, it looks like we still have invisible barriers...Not too sure how realistic it is to go from day to night in one lap...(at least that is the way it looked to me).

Photobucket
Message 3821 of 4,803 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
4679 posts

Aug 30, 2010

choochie49 wrote:

Pyro6000 wrote:
That hard drive is too thick to fit into the PS3. It is 12.5mm thick as opposed to the stock 9.5mm.

Also, the 15,000rpm one you listed is SAS. The PS3 uses a SATA connection. (Serial ATA)

Keep an eye on this stuff, as mistakes can be expensive.

This one will fit, and it's the biggest one I know of that will.

usually you need to find an drive that fits into a laptop PC

Not all laptop hard drives are created equal, and not all will work. IDE hard drives (Also referred to as Ultra ATA100) use an older interface that is incompatible with the PS3. IDE is also slower.

The PS3 uses Serial ATA (SATA, 1.5gbps) hard drives, but SATA II (3.0gbps) are also compatible. Some of the newer and larger hard drives (Usually the biggest current model) coming out are thicker than the PS3's drive bay, and therefore will not physically fit into the PS3. A lot of people have made this mistake based on the statement, "All you need is a laptop hard drive."

5400rpm and 7200rpm is a debatable topic, but according to hotpocketdeath's tests linked a page back, the performance is worth it and the heat difference is minimal.

10,000rpm and 15,000rpm drives use an Serial Attached SCSI (SAS, 6.0gbps) interface, and are also incompatible with the PS3. (Not to mention considerably smaller in capacity per dollar.)

Message 3822 of 4,803 (42 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1009 posts

Aug 30, 2010

32 Karts and proper drafting.  Great info.  Thanks Cip.

Signature
Message 3823 of 4,803 (42 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1009 posts

Aug 30, 2010

Mikel1871 wrote:

MastrGT wrote:

You need to have a network or you need stuff on the network to allow such usage, first.

Not everyone is set up or able to do these things.

Ahhh,I got ya.
  Mostly My music/Movies are on my network drive(well all of  them really) which in turn is streamed to my PC(Via windows media player) then is read by the PS3 from windows media player,I figured this is how everyone did it(using a media palyer  as a network device for the PS3) which is the only reason I have never upgraded the 160 gig unit in my PS3 to begin with.

I thought that most games that allow custom soundtracks need the music to be on the PS3 hard drive not a network drive.  Its not a feature that interests me so I could be wrong.

Signature
Message 3824 of 4,803 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
703 posts

Aug 30, 2010

Goes_To_11 wrote:

Mikel1871 wrote:

MastrGT wrote:

You need to have a network or you need stuff on the network to allow such usage, first.

Not everyone is set up or able to do these things.

Ahhh,I got ya.
  Mostly My music/Movies are on my network drive(well all of  them really) which in turn is streamed to my PC(Via windows media player) then is read by the PS3 from windows media player,I figured this is how everyone did it(using a media palyer  as a network device for the PS3) which is the only reason I have never upgraded the 160 gig unit in my PS3 to begin with.

I thought that most games that allow custom soundtracks need the music to be on the PS3 hard drive not a network drive.  Its not a feature that interests me so I could be wrong.

Yeah i usually dont listen to music in game,If I do its off the stereo played through the PS3 .
mostly i listen to music while doing work around the house or in the yard(which the nieghbors love when im doing yardwork).

Photobucket
Message 3825 of 4,803 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3247 posts

Aug 30, 2010

IamMondo wrote:

cipriani99 wrote:

Rally with Day/Night from gamescon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rBcUo6el5U&feature=channel

Looks like the "Driving Line" will be useful at night, unless you can hit "High Beams" (assuming that those were not...)...Also, it looks like we still have invisible barriers...Not too sure how realistic it is to go from day to night in one lap...(at least that is the way it looked to me).

I'm sure that's just sped up to show off to the press that it's there. If it was a real-life day/night cycle then nobody would see it unless they played the game for ages.

I'm sure there'll be an option to change the options of the cycle.

I'm not 48 | TPRA Podcast | Follow @tunerspit on Twitter!

Wanna race online? Check out tunerspit.com today!
Message 3826 of 4,803 (42 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30083 posts

Aug 30, 2010

SIENA - Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited has removed the flags of the districts from the video game "Gran Turismo 5, set in the Piazza del Campo in Siena, out in November. This was announced in a statement, the Consortium for the protection of the Palio expressing "satisfaction and gratitude" for this decision for which the syndicate had protested.

The full article may be found Here

Crisis averted! 

Fastest Grandma In GT
Message 3827 of 4,803 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3148 posts

Aug 30, 2010

GT_ALLSTAR_47 wrote:

With a 320gb Western Digital HDD in my PS3, I don't need to worry for a while.   I planned on the future about a year ago.  The problem is music storage, that takes up quite a bit of space on the drive.

you planned to far ahead my friend!  some really nice hdd's coming out and the older ones of coarse drop in price 

i'm still holding out to see if i need to buy another ps3 or two first, but if not, i'll be getting one of these- Seagate Momentus XT

search
Message 3828 of 4,803 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12271 posts

Aug 30, 2010

cipriani99 wrote:

Karting:  Another point worth mentioning as a novelty, is the inclusion of karts, which are also proposed as Yamauchi as the ideal way to start for both beginners and for people who want to achieve total mastery of the game.  We have seen up to 32 karts competing in a race. Physics has been recreated exclusively for these cars, and was a key factor in development, both for its importance as involved a detailed study of it.    . Out of curiosity, I will say that the karts were designed to GT6, but then the team decided to include them in Gran Turismo 5.

Draft:     We have learned that the slipstream of GT5 Prologue has absolutely nothing to do with what we see in GT5.   For the real game, the effect of the hole will be identical to that experienced in reality.   We may choose to exaggerate the effect by creating options for courses online, but we can confirm that the tow has been redesigned and will offer behavior in line with reality.

Track creator: 

Finally, I have left for the final track creator.   We had the opportunity to see it in action and it is amazing, but one thing that nobody expected.   We can not create the tracks for ourselves.  Ourselves we can not draw the circuit that we have in mind.  Instead, we have a comprehensive wizard that will create the tracks for us.   It's hard to do see those who have not been there, so this somehow becomes an exercise in faith.   Yamauchi was an important part of this phase of the presentation focusing on how hard it is to do a circuit in Gran Turismo.   With much regret, the team decided to remove the custom editor due to its complexity, he could achieve excellent results in return for many hours of dedication.   So the guys at Digital Poliphony have decided to opt for this wizard.

Using the wizard, we have a wide variety of options to create a track to our liking.   We can choose to either circuit or a single route.   We can choose to surface sectors and its configuration, will determine the amount and complexity of curves, the distance, lines, etc.  The game will give us a preliminary version that we try to give our approval and continue, all very well integrated and very flexible load times. The maximum length is 10 kilometers, we freshener according to preset themes, we could see Tuscany, but there will be about 8 in the final version.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpsn...

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. The draft being more realistic is very good news.

DriverSports.org
Message 3829 of 4,803 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1695 posts

Aug 30, 2010

ForgetfuI wrote:

cipriani99 wrote:

Karting:  Another point worth mentioning as a novelty, is the inclusion of karts, which are also proposed as Yamauchi as the ideal way to start for both beginners and for people who want to achieve total mastery of the game.  We have seen up to 32 karts competing in a race. Physics has been recreated exclusively for these cars, and was a key factor in development, both for its importance as involved a detailed study of it.    . Out of curiosity, I will say that the karts were designed to GT6, but then the team decided to include them in Gran Turismo 5.

Draft:     We have learned that the slipstream of GT5 Prologue has absolutely nothing to do with what we see in GT5.   For the real game, the effect of the hole will be identical to that experienced in reality.   We may choose to exaggerate the effect by creating options for courses online, but we can confirm that the tow has been redesigned and will offer behavior in line with reality.

Track creator: 

Finally, I have left for the final track creator.   We had the opportunity to see it in action and it is amazing, but one thing that nobody expected.   We can not create the tracks for ourselves.  Ourselves we can not draw the circuit that we have in mind.  Instead, we have a comprehensive wizard that will create the tracks for us.   It's hard to do see those who have not been there, so this somehow becomes an exercise in faith.   Yamauchi was an important part of this phase of the presentation focusing on how hard it is to do a circuit in Gran Turismo.   With much regret, the team decided to remove the custom editor due to its complexity, he could achieve excellent results in return for many hours of dedication.   So the guys at Digital Poliphony have decided to opt for this wizard.

Using the wizard, we have a wide variety of options to create a track to our liking.   We can choose to either circuit or a single route.   We can choose to surface sectors and its configuration, will determine the amount and complexity of curves, the distance, lines, etc.  The game will give us a preliminary version that we try to give our approval and continue, all very well integrated and very flexible load times. The maximum length is 10 kilometers, we freshener according to preset themes, we could see Tuscany, but there will be about 8 in the final version.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fpsn...

Awesome, thanks for sharing that. The draft being more realistic is very good news.

I'm not that surprised. It's like PD is listening to their fans after all.

Message 3830 of 4,803 (42 Views)
0 Likes