May 16 2013
By: ravenwings27 Lombax Warrior 216 posts

Getting a wheel for GT6?

84 replies 16574 views Edited May 16, 2013
The news of GT6 being on the PS3 really surprised me. With all the recent buzz about the PS4, and the close proximity of the 2 planned releases, I expected to see GT6 announced for the PS4.

My plan had been to buy a PS4, GT6, and a wheel all at once. Now I'm renewing the debate. I didn't get a wheel for GT5 only because I had pretty much "beaten" the game before I really considered it.

I still want to get a wheel for GT6. My reason is not for lap times, as I've heard the learning curve can be steep and good times can be gotten without it, but for immersion.

My long-winded question is this: If I get a wheel for GT6 on the PS3, will I be able to use it with the PS4?
Message 1 of 85 (16,574 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2197 posts

Re: Getting a wheel for GT6?

May 16, 2013

As far as I know, there are 3 possible scenarios:

• The PS4 won't have USB ports, so you can't plug the wheel into it
  • The PS4 will have USB ports, so you can use your wheel on it.
  • The PS4 will have USB ports, but will require support for the "Share" button, or there is some other reason that it does not support PS3 controllers.

What I can tell you, is that a racing wheel is a good purchase if you play GT5 frequently. Although you technically don't need a wheel to be fast, it is much easier if you do have one (as it is much easier to be precise). The immersion is great. With the wheel, I feel more like I'm actually driving the car, rather than driving it by remote control.

Gojet-64 is now Encvell. (Gojet-64 is now only used for older games and Vita)
Back up your PS3's and PS4's hard drives!
Try repairing your corrupted hard drive without losing data, here.
Message 2 of 85 (16,568 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

May 16, 2013

I can't imagine that most of our wheels would be incapable of being run on the ps4.  If it has support in GT and PS3 now, I wouldn't worry too much about it, though as Gojet said there maybe some features you don't have a button for or something...

and there's no such thing as "beating" GT5 Smiley Tongue because you can always find ways to improve your skills by continuing to play...

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 3 of 85 (16,556 Views)
MVP Support
44760 posts

May 16, 2013

The new controller will still be available for side-by-side use with non-compatible wheels, just as it is with the PS3 and wheels that don't have the PS button.

Get a wheel now and start getting used to it. By the time GT6 is out, you will be ready.

Message 4 of 85 (16,545 Views)
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

[ Edited ]
May 16, 2013

The claims that the learning curve is steep are generally overblown by those who make the claims. Frankly, I often wonder if it's not simply the clique thing at work, designed to discourage others from becoming competitive, but whatever...

It takes almost no time to get up to speed (no pun intended) with a wheel IF you drive in real life. Maybe a day, maybe two, but basically nothing. I think it took me less than a day to become comfortable with the under-sized wheel and soft peddles, simply by doing some seasonals and driving my own custom courses. If you're not a driver in real life, maybe it takes more, I couldn't say. I learned to drive irl well over 40 years ago, so the idea of not knowing how is a blur of faded memories. I do not however, recall any "pain" so it must not have taken much, although learning to use a stick (several years later) was a bit more of a challenge and took me a memorable amount of time to master. I can still hear those gears grindingSmiley Embarassed Smiley SurprisedSmiley Very Happy

I would recommend using these toy wheels with bare or socked feet rather than while wearing  shoes though, as it protects them from damage (they're not built of steel an highly durable rubber like real car wheels/peddles), and for me at least, due to the toyishness of the toy, a more accurate feel of the peddle motion. ymmv depending on the wheel you select. I have a DFGT. Affordable, dependable and has suffered no faults in the 2 or 3 years I've been using it, but it is still after all a toy.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 5 of 85 (16,528 Views)
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

[ Edited ]
May 16, 2013

the only part of the learning curve that was hard for me to grasp initially was how to recover as easily as you can with a stick.

but here's the key:

with a stick you are able to swing wildly between degrees of steering input with a flick of a thumb. With a controller, if you hit the wall and stop facing the wall changing your direction seems easier, where  with a wheel shifting to reverse while steering the opposite way you once were, then getting lined up properly to continue and then starting to actually continue, IS very difficult at first, and you may find yourself in more unrecoverable collisions than you're used to.  But that is temporary and due to not fully understanding the FFB of the wheel.

HINT: Experiment with higher levels of FFB to get more of a feel for the info the game is trying to send you about the car's behavior, then turn it back down a bit to avoid fatigue and repetetive motion injuries...

Over time, and this can take weeks or months, you'll start to feel the car getting ready to spin, or getting ready to do some other undesirable thing, and you'll be able to flick your wrist on the wheel in smaller amounts to thwart that large swing in car behavior before it happens, thereby eliminating the need to do all of those complex tasks involved in recovering from a wall-t-bone scenario altogether (much of the time).

In other words the FFB lets you know when you are about to lose control so you can make a minor change vs a major one that will likely result in an even larger loss of control.  A controler doesn't have the finesse, or is much harder to finesse for the average player, so in that regard using a wheel is easier for most.  But that doesn't mean some can't do all of these things with a controller...  to me the wheel and the way it feels in your hands is more natural and easier to translate to your brain and make snap decisions about your steering inputs.

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 6 of 85 (16,522 Views)
Lombax Warrior
216 posts

May 16, 2013
All I meant by "beating" the game is that I've done most of the things I've wanted to do in the game. I'm actually on a forced vacation right now due to moving which will be good to re-energize. :-)

What is the typical price range for a good wheel for a gamer on a budget?
Message 7 of 85 (16,513 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1621 posts

May 16, 2013

anjen wrote:

The claims that the learning curve is steep are generally overblown by those who make the claims. Frankly, I often wonder if it's not simply the clique thing at work, designed to discourage others from becoming competitive, but whatever...

It takes almost no time to get up to speed (no pun intended) with a wheel IF you drive in real life. Maybe a day, maybe two, but basically nothing. 

I disagree..  When I got my first Wheel, the DFGT, it took me a good month, till I was able to run the same times I could with the DS3.

Part of that could be due to my poor driving setup, the Pedals not being at the right angle,  Leg Cramps from the wrong chair height / position.  And time to adjust to 900 degrees of rotation, verses 1/2 inch with my thumb.

Sometimes I couldn't turn the wheel FAST enough to recover from a skid..

And at that time, the Constant, Left and Right struggle with the Force Feed back..  

You couldn't relax your grip on the wheel with out wrecking.

I fought the Wheel more than I did the track..

That's all changed now, that the force feedback has been mellowed out with some of the Patches to the game..

Message 8 of 85 (16,509 Views)
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

May 16, 2013

I would definitely buy and get used to a wheel sooner than later! I believe a wheel adds a great deal of realism and therefore enjoyment to the game! I have purchased and used both a DFGT and now a G27. The G27 is certainly higher quality and elevated my game over using the DFGT.

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Message 9 of 85 (16,505 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

May 16, 2013

Seeing as how playing the game forces you to endure the abysmal AI, 'beating' it is hardly any real achievement. Online is the only place where there is any serious challenge.

But online, you will be expected to race cleanly, not bash into other cars, and here is where a wheel will make a huge improvement. One thing I notice in most stick drivers is the willingness to force the car into big over-steer, simply because the pad smoothing and shortness of travel make recovering from those a lot easier than with a wheel. But unfortunately, it also makes you slow and a hazard to other racers. So the more precise control that a wheel gives you makes racing in tight quarters with other cars less of a drift bash as you hang your back end out every corner!

One thing that potentially looms on the horizon for GT7 on the PS4 is, with Logitech having announced their withdrawal from the racing wheel market, who knows what PD will officially support come time to release it..? With GT6 officially on the PS3 now, it's likely that the wheel code is going to remain in place, so a DFGT might be a good purchase NOW.

But with GT7/PS4 likely 3-4 years away, it is difficult to predict where peripheral manufacturers are going to be by then. So buying a more expensive wheel now may not provide you with optimal support when the PS4/GT game drops. In your position right now, I'd say pony up for that DFGT. You get the tightest integration with GT5/6 (RA parameter adjust on the fly, etc.) of just about any wheel, at the lowest cost, so you lose the least if GT7/PS4 move on to a different wheel code. And you've still got a decent wheel if they don't.

I race and beat G27 drivers daily with my DFGT, so it is no serious impediment to go to a less expensive wheel. But with Logitech's partnership with PD so much up in the air, I'm not sure I'd go to a G27 at this point. If money is no object, sure... go for it! But you seem to have a long term look at the situation, and here is where problems may occur.

Message 10 of 85 (16,497 Views)