I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Re: GT6 will most likely be on PS4 (not quoting anyone, just a guess)

Feb 4, 2013

I'm a bit confused with Sony's launch decisions. "We will wait until we know the specs of the competition's console before releasing our own." Frankly the specs of the PS4 Orbis have been widely leaked for quite a while now. It would please me to no end if Sony decided to ditch the AMD 8 core processor and go with a cooler running and quicker overall Intel 6 core processor! I want no return of YLOD, Blue screens, Black screens or any heat related hardware failures! Just sayin!

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Message 81 of 142 (342 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44638 posts

Feb 4, 2013

If SONY meant that, that would mean that they were not very far along with the PS4 development, but we know development kits are out, so I'm not so sure we should believe that they are going to wait to see exactly what MS will do.

Plus, we know the clamour that happened with waiting for the PS3, so does SONY want to repeat that?

There's nothing quite like marketing.

Message 82 of 142 (338 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2013

The thing about 4K is that it really is overkill for all but the largest of screens. If your man cave or living room is big enough to accommodate an 80" screen (we all got room for that, eh? LOL) sure, knock yourselves out. But, just as 1080p is overkill on the smaller HDTV sizes (32" and smaller) we are going to find that 4K is overkill on anything 60" and smaller. For comfortable viewing, you've got to watch one of those from further away than most living rooms (and definitely most man-caves!) can accommodate.

Sure, prices will fall.... eventually. But given the size of most people's rooms aren't going to increase no matter HOW big TV's get, it's still a pretty small segment of the market that will have anything big enough to warrant 4K. And widespread use and demand is what drives rapid price drops.

I also think that 3 screen multi-monitor is the thing we need the MOST as a radical improvement of gameplay. 3D is OK... but it doesn't address the unnecessarily restricted field of view that all racing games have. Head tracking gizmos don't really do anything to promote realism. YOUR head barely moves (you still have to look dead ahead) while the car rotates around you. I find this incredibly distracting.

But three screens actually allows you to move your head, and look to the side to see cars coming up inside or outside you, and to have a FAR greater awareness of what is going on around you. I still refuse to use cockpit view, not because I don't WANT to (it's the most realistic in theory) but because I cannot force myself to drive with blinkers on so great, often you can't even see the mirror CLOSE to you, let alone the mirror on the other side of the car. How is this realistic in ANY way?

Sure, a helmet will restrict your peripheral vision, but you CAN move your head in a real car to get to see BOTH side mirrors on most cars. 3 monitors, if it didn't involve 3 PS4's and 3 copies of the game, would be an instant buy for me, and I believe most hardcore GT5 players.

Message 83 of 142 (319 Views)
Highlighted
Sackboy
538 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 4, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

The thing about 4K is that it really is overkill for all but the largest of screens.  But, just as 1080p is overkill on the smaller HDTV sizes (32" and smaller) we are going to find that 4K is overkill on anything 60" and smaller.

I take it you don't play games on computer?  1080p is not overkill on smaller screens.  I couldn't imagine playing a game on PC less than 1080p seeing as how before LCD screens we had crt monitors that just about doubled that resolution. 

Also headtracking works amazing with VR goggles and racing games, not with console though.  Wouldn't bother with it though unless you've got a hmz-t1 or another goggle set. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 84 of 142 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 5, 2013

The problem with head tracking is that you move your head, NOT your eyes. Look to the side, your ayes look to the side. But on a head tracker, look to the front while you move only your head to the side.... completely unnatural. Sorry, but there's also a reason why, on PC's, triple screen setups are popular. If moving your head but not your eyes actually WORKED (and didn't feel unnatural), no-one would ever need a triple monitor setup.

Once again, I bring up the point that a 4K TV, if PD don't start scanning tracks and cars at that resolution (fat chance... we can't even get them to scan all the Standards at the 1080 resolution used on the Premiums) will simply be upscaling the original resolution. You will be getting 1080 no matter WHAT the display is capable of.

The truth is, resolution is pretty darn good right now. 60fps 1080p seems to look pretty darn good, but taxes the hell out of the PS3's graphics chips. There are all kinds of graphic problems with GT5 simply because the engine can't keep up. Other racing games use different engines, and can do much better at lighting, and smoke, etc., but the price they pay is they end up 720p. One expects that the PS4 will be able to do full 1080p native at 60+fps, AND have enough horsepower that better engines can be used for reflectivity, in car lighting, weather effects, night lighting (be nice to finally be able to see headlights in our mirrors!) and many of the things that make hi-res PC racing so pretty to look at (LOVE those PCARS videos!).

Read a few industry insiders... the general consensus is that 4K is little more than a rich man's boy toy right now, and will remain that for considerably longer than the widespread adoption of 3D. Half the broadcast TV stations still haven't upgraded their equipment for 720p HDTV, and there is no way they are going to gear up for 4K content. It will be like the early days of HDTV... Plasma TV's, mostly displaying 4.3 lo-def content, because that's all there WAS... No-one in the biz seems to think 4K will become commonplace for a VERY long time. Longer than the likely lifespan of the PS4...

Message 85 of 142 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2013

Actually you do move your eyes and your head.   Can't possibly see how you think this is a bad idea for Racing games....

Message 86 of 142 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Ahhhhh. Now I understand. Goggles with TV's in them!

I've been referring to the head trackers that the console's have. Sorry for the misunderstanding. However, my basic point remains. For the type of head tracking that GT5 actually uses, a triple monitor system is a far better idea.

Message 87 of 142 (240 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1131 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Lots of speculation but I will wait for 20 February.  Hope it's good and happens soon.  Smiley Surprised

If it ain't broke, I haven't fixed it yet.
Message 88 of 142 (239 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
538 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

Ahhhhh. Now I understand. Goggles with TV's in them!

I've been referring to the head trackers that the console's have. Sorry for the misunderstanding. However, my basic point remains. For the type of head tracking that GT5 actually uses, a triple monitor system is a far better idea.

Funny thing is that video is of Sony's HMZ-T1, made for PS3 but can be used as a monitor for other devices.   That video uses trackir though.  Turismo has head tracking but only in arcade and it doesn't work very well, it might be better now but I haven't tried it since the game launched.

Message 89 of 142 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 6, 2013

How is reported eye strain using goggles for extended time? Do users say it is as comfortable as watching a normal monitor? Not sure I'd want that strapped to my head for 8 hours or so!

Message 90 of 142 (230 Views)
0 Likes