Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Re: GT6 will most likely be on PS4 (not quoting anyone, just a guess)

Feb 2, 2013

The general consensus is that Sony's insistence of 3D capability delayed GT5 considerably. Now we seem to have 4K capability as a roadblock to prompt production. Yes, insane is as good as I can come up with for this boondoggle. TV stations have still not universally adopted HD content, several years after the TV's that display it are universal. Expecting any significant content for 4K in the coming years is optimistic at best. Do we even have a storage medium for the vast amounts of data that a full movie in 4K will need? Blu-Ray's are getting full simply for the data for full 1080p 7.1 Surround movies as is.

And, the bottom line for gaming is, when a wider field of vision and better framerate is the primary need for racing games (quite doable by modern PC graphics cards), how is simply scaling up the resolution of the same display aspect ratio we already have any significant improvement?

If Sony want to spend any time inproving the PS4's graphics capabilities (and possibly delaying it's production schedule!), multi-monitor standard 1080p display technology is the thing that will make the MOST significant contribution to console gaming over the last 10 years.

PD are certainly not going to vastly increase the resolution of their track and car scans to allow native 4K display, nor is any other game, I would expect. So any game 4K display is simply going to be upscaled 1080p anyway. How is this any improvement, unless you like to play sitting 30' away from the TV?!

I'm sorry, but I fail to see any need for this at all.

Message 31 of 142 (412 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Tease3211 wrote:

Well I would have to argue that I expect multi-monitor setups for racing sims to be a much smaller market segment than high resolution displays will be.  How many people across the world are hard-core racing sim players vs. how many people watch television, watch movies, use computers, etc. on a daily basis?

A little over half of American households have a video game console (source: http://www.qj.net/ps3/news/how-many-us-households-play-videogames.html) while 4/5ths of American Households have multiple televisions (source: http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/media_entertainment/more-than-half-the-homes-in-us-have-three-or...

I will say the idea of built in multi-monitor support in a single console is intriguing though!  If I had the space and the money it would be interesting to try.

Thing is, 4K resolution displays are what? $8000 or so? Three 3D 42" LED 1080p displays can be had for $1500. Realistically, that's doable for the moderately affluent. Take that down to 40" and currently, Best Buy are selling a Coby 3D 40" on sale for $379! Basically, little over a grand for three 3D monitors!

But currently, you need 3 PS3's to drive it, and 3 copies of GT5 in the drives. So another $550 or so over what you already have. If multi-monitor on the PS4 doesn't NEED another PS4 or two, you can bet your sweet bippy that a whole bunch of us are going to run and get into that. But honestly, if you need multiple PS4's (or even if you don't!), how many of us are going to run out and get a 4K TV for which there is no native content?

If Sony want to push sales in a way that would be significant (remember, multi-monitor wouldn't benefit just racing games... they ALL would be radically improved by it), THIS is the route to take.

4K is a good eight to ten years from widespread adoption. 1080p 3D is NOW.

Message 32 of 142 (408 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44777 posts

Feb 2, 2013

40" screens, for most people, would be just too big. Most triple monitor setups that I see are using 24-30" screens, maybe 32s. The largest screen I ever used in m-m was 27".

Message 33 of 142 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 2, 2013

So, even MORE affordable...

This is kind of the point I'm making. 4K is an absolute waste of time compared to multi-monitor. But you watch... bet you Sony spends all their time on 4K and ignores the obvious.

Message 34 of 142 (397 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3264 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 2, 2013

Destinkeys wrote:

Thing is, 4K resolution displays are what? $8000 or so? Three 3D 42" LED 1080p displays can be had for $1500. Realistically, that's doable for the moderately affluent. Take that down to 40" and currently, Best Buy are selling a Coby 3D 40" on sale for $379! Basically, little over a grand for three 3D monitors!

But currently, you need 3 PS3's to drive it, and 3 copies of GT5 in the drives. So another $550 or so over what you already have. If multi-monitor on the PS4 doesn't NEED another PS4 or two, you can bet your sweet bippy that a whole bunch of us are going to run and get into that. But honestly, if you need multiple PS4's (or even if you don't!), how many of us are going to run out and get a 4K TV for which there is no native content?

If Sony want to push sales in a way that would be significant (remember, multi-monitor wouldn't benefit just racing games... they ALL would be radically improved by it), THIS is the route to take.

4K is a good eight to ten years from widespread adoption. 1080p 3D is NOW.

All very good points, but I don't believe Sony is looking at now, they are looking to the future.  HD and 3D TV's both started at similar high price points, and in only 1-3 years dropped significantly as the installed base has increased.  The same holds true for the PS3, DVD players, computers, HDMI cables, etc.  This is the simple truth of the electronics industry. Super HD will be no different, and any forward thinking company should want their next gen tech to support the future.  The life cycle of any given playstation in the past has been 7-10 years, I expect no different from the PS4.

It stands to reason Sony wants the console, and it's premier racing game, to fully support as much future tech as possible.

Message 35 of 142 (393 Views)
MVP Support
44777 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Electronic manufacturers have always pushed extreme technology. They have not always picked the right ones at the right times, but they do make more advances that make enough money to survive and compete than failures, otherwise the individual companies collapse. We don't know SONY's take on this related to GT, so far, except for what they show at exhibitions, etc.

We still don't know what the upcoming announcement is, but what happens if it is not about the PS4 or directly related to the PS4?

Message 36 of 142 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 2, 2013

But given that the console is looking at perhaps a 4 year life cycle, no-one is predicting 4K as any kind of commonplace standard inside that timeframe. Most pundits point to a complete lack of any content... Look at 3D TV's. Still several years after they first came out, virtually no broadcast content, and still spotty game and movie content. It, despite about 4 years or so of being available, is still FAR from being the dominant form of content we have. 4K faces an even greater uphill battle.

Message 37 of 142 (388 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3264 posts

Feb 2, 2013

MastrGT wrote:

Electronic manufacturers have always pushed extreme technology. They have not always picked the right ones at the right times, but they do make more advances that make enough money to survive and compete than failures, otherwise the individual companies collapse. We don't know SONY's take on this related to GT, so far, except for what they show at exhibitions, etc.

We still don't know what the upcoming announcement is, but what happens if it is not about the PS4 or directly related to the PS4?

well, nothing! Smiley Tongue

other than we've had nice debate over the topic.

Actually I'm not convinced the announcement on the 20th will be the PS4, as I recall hearing (unfortunatly I don't recall the source) a Sony Exec. state they were planning to allow MS announce thier console first, because they were interested in knowing it's specs before the PS4 gets announced.  This could mean they plan to bolster their own specs in response. Either way, the rush to get them to manufactured and off to market will be the same once the announcement is made. The dev kits that have been released so far certainly will not be the final spec of the finished product, that is for certain.

Message 38 of 142 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2341 posts

Feb 2, 2013

MastrGT wrote:

Exactly. And lest anyone forget, Sony doesn't just run a gaming company. It's bigger ticket items are televisions and other electronics products. It's going to try to promote its up and coming devices, whether a gaming console or a 4K high res monitor/TV. I think that most of us realize Sony isn't in this as a hobby...

I do hope they don't hinge release of GT6 on people purchasing 4K TVs and PS4 consoles, although I could see them incorporating the ability prior to release.  If they do, I guess I'm out. Not buying a PS4 for a long time.

- There's a distinct difference between slow & deliberate and deliberately slow -
Message 39 of 142 (384 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3264 posts

Feb 2, 2013

What playstation console has ever been limited to a four year life cycle?

Message 40 of 142 (383 Views)