MVP Support
44516 posts

Re: GT6 will most likely be on PS4 (not quoting anyone, just a guess)

Feb 1, 2013

Lord_Beelzebub wrote:

Now, on the other hand, if PD is working on GT6 without knowing anything of a new console nor it's specs, then it would stand to reason the only specs they have to go by to make sure the game can even be played, is the specs for the PS3 console.

PD said that they started developing GT6 just after GT5 was released, so give or take a few months, that was over two years ago. Now, depending on what exactly they start with when they develop, they need target hardware, otherwise they compromise budgets redoing things that they have no business redoing. They have a development plan that they have to follow and they have been doing this long enough to know how they work, so all of the things need to come together to fit the plan. I doubt very much that new hardware is in that plan.

They need hardware targets and no PS4 specs were available when they started the GT6 project. We don't even know if the PS4 hardware specs are nailed down yet**, so still, I see no way for them to be shooting for new hardware when PD can still be more profitable by supporting current hardware. This keeps SONY's ten-year cycle going and it keeps current experience and knowledge about the hardware we use now paying off. Are you going to wait while PD makes new development tools for new hardware, then starts making a new release for it? That makes no sense.

** You remember what happened with the PS3 release, right? SONY never let the PS3 out the door until HDMI specs were approved. They couldn't release it until they were certain what they made was up to spec. They certainly weren't going to recall hardware, so they had to wait, and wait, until the spec was approved, then they built consoles. That's the way it works.

Fans and the media love new hardware, but business need to make money. Now, don't forget that GT3 and GT4 were on the same hardware. PD did a lot to improve what they got out of it with GT4. Do you doubt that PD won't be able to do miracles on the PS3 hardware too? Yes, it has its limits, even PD pushed against them early with GT5 and a lot of you don't like what you got as a result, but my bet is on PD releasing GT6 on the same hardware.

Wait for solid news before moaning and groaning about missing the new hardware. PD will do the right thing for us, for GT, and for SONY.

Message 11 of 142 (357 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 1, 2013

Sony say that some games for PS4 are already in the works. And, naturally, developers will have advance notice of the hardware and coding needed, otherwise the launch of the PS4 will be a monumental flop if there aren't any games for it! Kaz has said for a considerable time that they were working hard on GT6, but it's fair to assume that tracks and cars will still be graphically the same structure that they currently are (otherwise this will be an utter rewrite from the ground up, and even Sony wouldn't impose that!), so PD may be hard at work simply working on content if they don't have enough info to be working on the game code.

In many ways, I dread GT6 coming out for the PS3. It is obvious that the graphic engine of the PS3 is leveraged as much as it can go. Screen tears, pixelation, disjointed smoke effects and weather effects (where they join to the car) seem to indicate we have gone as far as we can.

And, in many ways, GT5 is very mature now. Physics is sublime (or at least as good as the platform is likely to be able to calculate), FFB and handling are the industry standard (for consoles), and apart from the few missteps like the last PP tinkering, the game is good to go. It's very unlikely that a strong, competitive adaptive AI that finally provides a challenge to even the best players is doable on the PS3 (or even if PD is capable, after well over a decade of trying!), so how on earth is A-Spec improvable? More events? That what the Seasonals are. And all of them still suffer from the abysmal AI behavior.

But there's one area that PD could improve the game radically NOW, while we wait for GT6 and the PS4.

Tracks. Loads of them. Tracks that we PAY for (and swell PD's coffers with, so they can go and hire even more car and track scanning employees). Real tracks. Imaginary tracks. Fantasy tracks. Legacy tracks...

1500 cars... not a whole heaping need for a radical increase in cars (though the few that have been done have been welcome). But a load more tracks makes it almost a new game, especially online. Easily, IMHO, to extend the game's freshness and variety for the couple of years that the PS4/GT6 combo is likely to take.

You want a GT6 Prologue? Well, here it is. We are playing it. If they want to tweak the menu structure, or the PP calculations, or A-Spec AI, here's the platform to do it on, as updates. Paying for a GT6 Prologue as a brand new game to beta-test for the PS4 version don't strike me as a good idea, for PD or for me to buy! If we are to be beta testers, let us not get soaked for another $60 in the process! I would be MUCH happier paying my $60 for new tracks that I could add to the existing, mature game.

The PS3 is on its last legs. Do we really want to plonk our money down for a game that will be on an outdated platform in less than a year? Just feed us tracks and the odd car... and get it RIGHT the first time on the PS4, PD!

Message 12 of 142 (352 Views)
Fender Bender
3656 posts

Feb 1, 2013

Just a couple iof comments.

I'd just point out that having 1000+cars in no way pushes the capabilities of the hardware graphics or processing hardware.  The only capability it would stretch is storage, and I do not think the Bluray if full.  I do not think they left out anything more desirable than the what is usually termed in the forums as "useless cars" for those vehicles.

Some of us like the true diversity of vehicles, variations of MX5 , GT-R, etc. notwithstanding.  Those little low-horsepower cars are a whole different experience to the usual (in every other game out there without "useless" cars) sports car/super car/ race car selections of other games.  And we have pretty much the same number or more of those classes anyway.  There may be other cars we do not have that we may want, but we still have a much wider range of racing events we can put together than anywhere else.  Even without a drag strip...

I just do not get the complaining that we have too many cars, or that we have "useless cars"...  Don't like it, don't buy it.  Need it for a series and still hate it?  Nothing says ou have to keep it in your garage when you complete the dreaded event.  Unless you are a collector, there is nothing forcing you to keep anything you do not like, and even then, it is still your decision which is forcing the issue.  Even un-sellable cars can still be deleted...  If you feel a car is somehow "beneith you", please fell free to not have any in your garage.  Just quit complaining they exist.

PD really wanted more time before releasing GT5.  It was not finished and you could tell.  I feel confdent in saying that.  Just look at the shadows now compared to release-day...  At least PD had their priorities straight.  I do not remember a single time when in the middle of a broad sweeper I thought to myself "This is OK, but it sure would be a lot better if the shadows were not so blocky..."

The experience of holding the sweeper, of getting the feeling of fighting losing grip for that little bit more speed, that came first.   Then they got the things unimportant to the actuall driving worked out.

Even our present woes over PPs fits this bill.  I hope they do fix that system.  I'd also like for them to make the additions we have been asking for related to building events.  And I think we may bet these things if only because they need to iron the same thing out for the next version of the game. 

And please, PD, if anyone there is reading this.  Seperate rates for tires and fuel.  Please?  Thanks.

I think the reason we are not getting a lot of what we are asking for that we are not getting is due to program structure in the code.  Depending on the layout and the selection of algorythms used, it can be difficult to wedge new features in without breaking things, especially in a simulator as complex as this.

GT4 allowed PD to maybe take a different route in how the code was put together from GT3, they were able to do that little rewrite to improve upon original decisions.  Or maybe GT4 was the GT5 Spec 2.0...  We now have the luxury of patches without having to buy a new disc.  Beyond gamesaves, the PS2 had no writable storage.  WE now have the hard drive.  So programs are no longer set in little unchanging pits on the sheet of metal.

What I am getting at is the fact I think that what we got as spec 2.0 would have been the "even" release before.  There is still room for and the possibility of 3.0 or 2.5 or whatever for the PS3.  The "even releases" no longer have to be releases, but can be patches.  The only time you'd NEED a new release is new hardware.  Or just for the revenue of a new release.

But they do not seem that concerend by lack of revenue.  Or they would release DLC buyond the freebies they have been trickling out one car at a time.  It does qualify as "DLC at a periodic rate" as prromised.  It is just not what we had hoped for in new car packs and tracks.

Maybe the problem is that PD had several packs of paid-DLC all ready to go, ready to release every couple of months.  Then they found out from our complaining that we really did not care for the Suits and Helmets and Horns...

Well, it WOULD have been DLC as promised...

Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 142 (350 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 1, 2013

Perhaps they might have market researched the suits and helmets and horns BEFORE they made them? LOL

The thing is, PD have an almost unlimited supply of market research. This forum and others larger and smaller provide almost limitless user feedback, but how little of it gets into requested updates and DLC?

Cars and tracks. That's pretty universal. Suits, hats and gloves? Not so much! The data was there for them to see. They chose not to look.

Our own poll here shows, push comes to shove, what we REALLY want most. Tracks. If PD want to honor their 'periodic' DLC promise (originally a 'monthly' promise, long since gone and buried), and want to turn a nice profit too, let's have the darn tracks they have ready to go. If GT6 is a couple of years off, that gives them a TON of time to do some more, GT6 exclusive content. But $10 a real, licensed track, $5 for a fantasy or legacy track, and PD could easily swell their coffers by MILLIONS (8 million GT5 games sold, lets say only 25% bought the DLC, that's $20M per real track, $10M per fantasy). Honestly... how does this not make good business sense to PD?

Message 14 of 142 (346 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Feb 1, 2013

I believe the PS4 (Orbis) is quite a bit further along in the maturation process than GT6 at this time. According to recent news Sony is waiting to launch the newest, and perhaps last console, after they know what the XBox 720 specs are. Reading between the lines, that tells me they could release the new console, whenever they choose. We have no such news or even rumors that GT6 is ready to launch at this time. I would strongly prefer that GT6 be as complete a product as possible before launch, so as to prevent the naysayers from gaining any more traction that they already have. Complaints are destined to come either way.

BANG

photo BANGNOLUFSENSigPic4_zpsa53ba0de.jpg
Message 15 of 142 (331 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
110 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 1, 2013

New York Times leak..Sony will unveil PS4 this month and release it  before the end of the year!!.. Maybe

QuoteOriginally Posted by IGN.com
Following yesterday’s Future of PlayStation tease from Sony, new rumors suggest that the PlayStation 4 will be announced this month, released this year and may even let players share videos and screenshots directly.

Anonymous sources have told both Polygon and The Wall Street Journal that the event will indeed be the announcement of Sony’s next console and that Sony is aiming to release the system before the end of the year. The Wall Street Journal suggests that Sony “is planning to incorporate more social gaming aspects into the new machine” and “is more focused this time on the changes in how users interact with the machine.”

Edge Online, meanwhile, also reports that the next PlayStation will be out before the end of the year in the U.S. and Japan (but early 2014 in Europe) and says it will be more powerful than the next console from Microsoft. The system will allegedly feature a redesigned controller, which fits with rumors of Sony abandoning the DualShock that circulated earlier this month. According to Edge, the system “will ship with a redesigned controller which is the same size as an existing DualShock but features a small touchpad in place of the existing Select, Start and PS buttons. The tech is based on Vita’s rear touchpad, and is similarly responsive in use."

Edge also refers to specific elements of the controller mentioned in a leaked list of specs last week. Specifically, Edge says Sony’s new controller will feature a Share button that will “launch a new feature that will allow screenshots and video to be distributed online.” The system will reportedly “continually record the most recent 15 minutes of onscreen action, which users will then be able to edit and broadcast via the Internet.”

For now, the future of PlayStation is uncertain, but Sony told IGN yesterday "The PlayStation meeting will be about the future of the PlayStation business." Our PlayStation team will attend Sony’s event in New York City later this month, so keep checking back for confirmed news as it’s announced.
Message 16 of 142 (310 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1088 posts

Feb 1, 2013

lol, I just stated that too in another thread....Pretty cool news! Looks like what some think they know really don't know much at all. Smiley Wink

" A defeat is good for the character if you take it the right way."

Who said it?
Message 17 of 142 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1613 posts

Feb 2, 2013

If GT6 would allow you to transfer all your cars (be it premium and standard cars, as well as DLC cars) from GT5, that would be great, although I wouldn't consider getting another console so I'll just stick with my PS3, in my honest opinion. Smiley Tongue

photo metakraken_redbull_final_500_zps9ce1f6ed.png

Message 18 of 142 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Just for fun, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the PS4 WILL be announced on the 20th. And to sweeten the pot, GT6 6 months later. I have no inside info, this is just a leap of faith. Now to sit back and see if I'm close.

Photobucket
Message 19 of 142 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Feb 2, 2013

For starters, it was over a year from the official announcement of the Vita to it's actual shipping... And the PS4 will be a far more complicated platform.

Secondly, does anyone think that a GT6 release for the PS3 later this year (MUCH later this year!) is a good idea IF the PS4 is going to drop only a few months later?

All ANY of us are doing here is crystal ball gazing, but relating our premonitions to actual past performance seems the more realistic route. Anyone got a long enough memory to remember the delay after delay with the GT5 release? And PD had already coded a PS3 game with GT5P... Anyone willing to step up and say that that might be impossible this time around? LOL

Unless GT6 for PS3 is little more than a Spec3 update to the current code, and some new cars and tracks, what makes any of us think that PD will be able to step up their pace of production that has remained all these years? Is anyone willing to predict that the AI woes will finally be a thing of the past? And basically, without that, A-Spec will be the joke it is now, and has always been.

In fairness, if the PS4 is set to drop in maybe a bit over a year, there is no way in hell I'm going to throw $60 or more away unless PD get brutal and shut down the GT5 servers VERY shortly after release of GT6. As long as the servers stay up, I'm waiting for a PS4 GT game. I honestly can't see how PD could radically improve the graphics, physics or online lobby size on the PS3. All I want right now are a few more DLC tracks, and I'm happy playing this game for one or two years more...

Message 20 of 142 (254 Views)
0 Likes