Monster Hunter
39 posts

Re: GT6 Grinding & Micro-transactions in Perspective

Jan 5, 2014

** ISSUE RESOLVED! ** I think...Smiley Happy

To all that were trying to help me with my connection issues.... Mastr GT, Lord Beezlebub, Wyldanimal etc...

I think I've resolved the issue, (so far)

My choices were to look at either the router/modem. or the hardware on my ps3,

Since the router belonged to Time Warner, (free replacement) I had them come out and replace it...

Well, since yesterday mid day, I've been able to get on the PSN network without getting bumped off, at all.

The new router, an "Arris", I'm not real familiar with, I just set the "easy" mode for connection.....

Not only did that (so far) resolve the issue, I now have +100 MBPS connection! (from a sad 50 mbps...lol)

*** A question -

What I also have had hooked up to my home network, is a long cat5 cable (50') leading to my neighbors apt. (who can't afford internet/cable, and I feel sorry for him) and my data usage has been way up there!! (ran a report from TWC)

So, the questions are----- (which time warner didn't have a convincing answer to)

1. When my internet speed is, lets use 75 mbps as a base... IF I have 3 ethernet cables connected to the source, (router) does that 75 mbps get split up evenly to each ethernet connection? OR--- does each cable get the 75 mbps??

2. IF... I'm pulling a large amount of data from the network, does the-----

A) Signal slow down depending on how many devices are pulling data?

B) Signal strength limited to the LENGTH of the ethernet cable connected to the router?

C) Is my wireless signal affected by a large amout of data use?

** Note on data use.

I only use the internet/data for regular stuff.... (IE emails, PSN, and surfing etc) and occasionally I use my ps3/netflix to stream movies.

My usage details show the larger amounts used when no one is at my apartment (my neighbor is a nightowl) and he is a gamer (Xbox), and also uses Chromecast to watch TV.

So, is there a software that I use to segregate the ports on the back of the router to see how much data is used by each ethernet cable?

This router admin, doesn't show hard wired connected devices, just wireless ones.. but it does have a "log configuration" setting in the utilities page, but I'm not sure how I need to set that up...

I'm wondering IF.... my past connection issues might have been complicated by the large amount of  data used, as well as the router fail?

When I say large amounts, Nov, Dec my usage was 232 gigs, on the busiest days it was arount 25 gigs / day.

On a few days, the hourly highs were 9 gigs per hr.

Current Modem router (new) is Arris DG860A.

Thanks again for all your help!

Here's a pic of what the Vegas stip looked like at midnight on new years eve (Flamingo hotel) this looked CRAZY! (my bro was there)

photo 1.JPG

http://shechive.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/ironic-yes-5.jpg
Message 41 of 42 (1,864 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44510 posts

Re: GT6 Grinding & Micro-transactions in Perspective

[ Edited ]
Jan 5, 2014

I'm glad you figured something out, so far. Come celebrate here with an evening of racing, sometime!

Arris: never heard of them, but they make cable DOCSIS modems, etc. Which is your new model?

As for controlling account data traffic, depending on your router, new ones allow controlling data per account, so, you could set limits per person, as far as I know. I have never had to do this, but my new router allows it. I just don't know the rules and limitations of this yet. Your ISP should be able to help you set it up per your model.

rick92647 wrote:

I'm wondering IF.... my past connection issues might have been complicated by the large amount of  data used, as well as the router fail?

When I say large amounts, Nov, Dec my usage was 232 gigs, on the busiest days it was arount 25 gigs / day.

To me? Definitely. These are extra-ordinary amounts of traffic, so it could very well have been a factor. Now, it may be well within the capacity of DOCSIS, but that's a lot going through a pipe, no matter how you look at it. When I get over 1 Mb / sec, everything crawls to a halt, but I am not on cable.

Message 42 of 42 (1,851 Views)
0 Likes