Gaming Beast
2429 posts

Re: GT5's poor collision physics and AI

Sep 28, 2009

JBracin70 wrote:

People being perfect has nothing to do with it, the game is not a Demolition Derby game.  It's for racing not seeing how much you can roll hitting the wall.  Most racers never touch the wall but maybe once or twice, and the occasional spin.  Some people just can't drive from what we all have seen online and will complain.  There's always that group of people.

GT has been amazing without wrecking physics and damage in the past.  I'll take whatever we get, this looks better than Prologue's at least.

Kudos

I'm glad we're getting damage for GT5, but I just never felt it being as a necessity for gameplay. Hate to be negative but I have a feeling a good portion of players who wanted it are gonna be the same players who will be setting up road blocks during a race. If I want to play for crashes and wrecks, I'll play motorstorm or burnout.

Message 21 of 121 (4 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44882 posts

Sep 28, 2009
Come on, guys! We all want to take a hugely expensive virtual car and smack it into the nearest tree.

You do, and you and you, too. I know you do.
See? You can't hide that wide grin!

Cheers,
Message 22 of 121 (4 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Sep 28, 2009

JBracin70 wrote:

Neptune15 wrote:
Assuming we get private servers, and your driving with people you can trust, that kind of damage would have me sitting in front of my playstation 8 hours a day.

That's the problem.  I'm all for the damage if this is true, but if we get only matchmaking then beware of wreckers.

Gran Turismo 5 Feature List Revealed at TGS

Gran Turismo 5 Information thread

Message 23 of 121 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1933 posts

Sep 28, 2009

Joel2D wrote:
With all that said, realistic damage would chase away the casual gamer. With PD trying to sell to a broad audience, and still stay loyal to the GT name, it's hard to find a happy medium. You get the people on the far right (Diehard GT fans) screaming that damage isnt real enough, and people on the far left (people who own a Wii) saying GT is too hard, and not any fun to play. I would hate to be in the sales department of PD.

I find it quite the opposite, I am a casual racer and dont think I will be picking up GT5 if the damage stays like this. Damage is fun, it makes a game more exciting, when you go head first into a wall at 100mph and bounce off like a tic-tac it just turns me off.

Message Edited by JustTheBeginning on 09-27-2009 05:37 PM
Message 24 of 121 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Umbrella Scientist
12272 posts

Sep 28, 2009

JBracin70 wrote:

People being perfect has nothing to do with it, the game is not a Demolition Derby game.  It's for racing not seeing how much you can roll hitting the wall.  Most racers never touch the wall but maybe once or twice, and the occasional spin.  Some people just can't drive from what we all have seen online and will complain.  There's always that group of people.

You're talking to the people that run league racing three nights a week, and hold monthly enduros. Those not interested in realistic racing just aren't welcome in our events, and we have private rooms coming... confirmed. You're right, we barely ever make contact, esecially with the wall, but just like in real racing, knowing there is real consquence to mistakes can change the state of mind of the driver, and effect lap times. The slightest distraction or mental lapse can cost thousands, hundreths, tenths and whole seconds. People worrying about bringing their car home tend to drive different. For those of us actually racing, damage is a vital factor in racing, and has been sorely missing for years.

GT has been amazing without wrecking physics and damage in the past.  I'll take whatever we get, this looks better than Prologue's at least.

GT has been great, but the most glaring flaw, and easiest thing to for detractors to pick on has been the lack of damage.

DriverSports.org
Message 25 of 121 (4 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1933 posts

Sep 28, 2009
Great post forgetful, could not have said it better myself and I am not that big of a diehard as you guys.
Message 26 of 121 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2748 posts

Sep 28, 2009

ForgetfuI wrote:

JBracin70 wrote:

You're talking to the people that run league racing three nights a week, and hold monthly enduros. Those not interested in realistic racing just aren't welcome in our events

I'm in this group too, but I don't want my race ended due to server lag and end up flying into the barriers, then getting impaled by the guy behind me.  (Which all leads to the inevitable argument Smiley Tongue)  It's the minority, although the option would be good for people willing to take that risk, I don't see it working as perfect as some picture.  Getting destroyed on lap 2/300 for reasons that a player couldn't have controlled sucks.  We learned this from EA!

Well I wouldn't say realistic, if you are playing GT you obviously want realistic racing!  A better word would be hardcore, I hate using common words though.. 

This is the majority of people.. the 'regular' gamers just wanting to have fun with buddies.

~~

I hope you see where I'm coming from, and you make a good, valid point. I feel like I'm actually talking to intelligent people on this forum

Photobucket
Message 27 of 121 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1436 posts

Sep 28, 2009

id say the collision physics are vastly improved. when the cars collide they react accordingly and we can now say bumper cars is a thing of the past

as in contact with the wall, i think PD nailed it, Looks how i'd imagine when the unbreakable object and the immovable wall collide

Ai is on par with the best in the bizz but still had AI traits.

Listen to the lullaby
of carbon monoxide

Message 28 of 121 (4 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8245 posts

Sep 28, 2009

JBracin70 wrote:

I feel like I'm actually talking to intelligent people on this forum

We like to keep up this myth. 

JBracin70 wrote:
Getting destroyed on lap 2/300 for reasons that a player couldn't have controlled sucks.  We learned this from EA!

I notice very few EA games being played by the collection of 100ish GT5P players on my Flist.  The resasons for that include yours I presume.

Damage in whatever form(s) we get in GT5 will add another layer of realism and options to our frequent racing activities.  In other words, another tool we'll be making use of for entertainment.

Message 29 of 121 (4 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12272 posts

Sep 28, 2009

JBracin70 wrote:

ForgetfuI wrote:

JBracin70 wrote:

You're talking to the people that run league racing three nights a week, and hold monthly enduros. Those not interested in realistic racing just aren't welcome in our events

I'm in this group too, but I don't want my race ended due to server lag and end up flying into the barriers, then getting impaled by the guy behind me.  (Which all leads to the inevitable argument Smiley Tongue)  It's the minority, although the option would be good for people willing to take that risk, I don't see it working as perfect as some picture.  Getting destroyed on lap 2/300 for reasons that a player couldn't have controlled sucks.  We learned this from EA!

Well I wouldn't say realistic, if you are playing GT you obviously want realistic racing!  A better word would be hardcore, I hate using common words though.. 

This is the majority of people.. the 'regular' gamers just wanting to have fun with buddies.

~~

I hope you see where I'm coming from, and you make a good, valid point. I feel like I'm actually talking to intelligent people on this forum

Oh, I understand completely. I do know that there are far more casual gamers buying than the hardcore. But, thanks to KY, the franchise has always catered to the hardcore first. But, that's why we have assists, difficulty levels and on/off toggles.

We've seen from months of fantastic racing that the lag and glitches aren't much of a factor, thankfully. That's partially why I'm so glad to have Prologue. We know, when the full games comes, how well the online should work.

As much as being the victim of circumstances does suck, when you're out to compete, it's just part of the game.

I appreciate the debate

DriverSports.org
Message 30 of 121 (4 Views)
0 Likes