Sep 04 2012
By: Sproutsdad First Son 4 posts

GT5 open lobbies

12 replies 721 views Edited Sep 4, 2012

Greetings all. I'm fairly new to ps3, but not to gaming. I'm looking for lobbies to join in for casual, competetive racing. The drag racing looks fun (got booted for not getting the hang of what they were doing) as well as the cops/speeders deal. I'm in the US, eastern time. So far, I've had limited success. Either I'm too high (bolt-on modified ZR1 Vette), or theres a bunch of prototype cars I cant even begin to compete with.

I have the Vette, a Ferrari 450italia, and a few randoms I picked up along the way. I do have money to spend to buy other cars if I need something to race with peeps.. Thanx for any input you might have..

Message 1 of 13 (721 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44884 posts

Re: GT5 open lobbies

Sep 4, 2012

Welcome to the GT forum, Sproutsdad!

Look in the GT Events sub-forum for the list of our scheduled races and events. The Saturday afternoon one is a good place to get your feet wet and to introduce yourself to the members while learning the ropes.

However, if you want more arcade or game style racing, you may have to dig a bit deeper, since many groups are more serious, in that regard. 

Message 2 of 13 (719 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Sep 4, 2012
Thanx for the quick reply. I guess I'd be looking for both. I'm not the BEST player, but I'd like to think I do pretty well and I'm all for clean and proper racing etiquette. Sometimes its nice to just screw around, yanno.. :-p
Message 3 of 13 (712 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44884 posts

Sep 4, 2012

Well, now you know how to find some good, clean drivers.

You can always set up your own goofing around league, but you should probably get some more experience with GT and the PSN first. 

Message 4 of 13 (710 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Sep 5, 2012

If you are looking for pickup clean racing (not drag, drift or rally, etc.), if I were you, I would always look first for a room that specified a set of rules in the title. GTP OLR, WRS etc.. After that, the next level would be rooms that SAY 'Clean' in the title, but don't specify HOW clean!

These can vary from GTP tight to almost 'dirty' rooms, depending on host. You pays your money and you takes your pick!

But first of all, if you REALLY want to race clean rooms, you at least need your skillz to the point where you can do consistent laps of most of the tracks, at speed, without going off AT ALL. After all, if you can't race the track clean with no other cars on, you have little chance of doing it while there are a dozen cars around you!

You can help yourself out with the filters in the main lobby... TBH, you want to race the better drivers, ALWAYS turn SRF filter off! Then, you can narrow your search down initially by setting 'Race for Real' although that is not as often set by hosts.

Finally, while you hone your skills and racecraft, you might better avoid distraction form other elements of the game (tuning, upgrades, etc.) by selecting either shuffle races (where a stock car in a specified PP range is selected for you each race) or 'spec' racing, where all are in an IDENTICAL car and tires. Or a combination of both (the form I prefer).

Google the GTP OLR or any specific set of race rules you are likely to use, and read them carefully BEFORE you go out. Better know what you are supposed to do than guess, should you make a mistake!

Hope this helps...

Message 5 of 13 (699 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Sep 5, 2012
Both of you helped a bunch.. tyvm
Message 6 of 13 (688 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8815 posts

Sep 5, 2012

I would recommend AudioInstaller's races and watching the "Hey, you wanna race?" thread. welcome

aka Ex_Stream_Tuna -FR's & Racing done here. ExXboxfan = Netflix only
GT Saturdays Event Thread

Track ShareEx's Racing Videos SupaTunaGTPhoto Mode Pictures
Message 7 of 13 (672 Views)
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1751 posts

Sep 5, 2012

Welcome to the forum and Lounge racing is best less cheating in them.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 13 (659 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Destinkeys, thanks alot for the post. It had alot of very useful information. One question though, how can i find the 'spec' racing you mention? (the multiplayer race mode where everyone has the exact same car to race with)

Message 9 of 13 (574 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1137 posts

Jan 9, 2013

Prazos wrote:

Destinkeys, thanks alot for the post. It had alot of very useful information. One question though, how can i find the 'spec' racing you mention? (the multiplayer race mode where everyone has the exact same car to race with)

Try a "Shuffle" race.  that would probably be your best bet right now.

aka smokeethetire
Message 10 of 13 (551 Views)
0 Likes