Highlighted
Dec 02 2010
By: Mattsta001 Splicer 77 posts

GT5 is a major disappointment. PD should hand over the reins.

184 replies 80 views Edited Dec 2, 2010

I 'm currently doing the European Classic Car race and it suddenly hit me what a major disappointment this game is. This game just does not cut it compared to other AAA 1st party titles.

I 'm driving a last gen model car racing against other PS2 era cars in last gen chase cam. It doesn't even feel like driving. Why? I did not want to. I can't use cockpit view. I was planning on only driving premiums but discovered the game forces you to buy the ugly standard cars to complete certain races.

The process of getting that car and changing from my usual car was a messy, clumsy navigation through multiple menu screens. It was a chore. I could not access the dealerships straight from the race preview screen. You can not sell a car from your garage if its being used. You have to swap it out and then sell it. More redundant menu screen navigation that anyone with half a brain could see could be better streamlined.

There is a lot of screen tearing and I usually don't notice tearing.

The scenery texture work in this game is sometimes appalling. I noticed on the Cote d'Azur track for example a lot of the track features are flat and low poly and not 2010 standard. It's like they are using assets from 2005. The game is full of 2D trees and laughable static crowd models where everyone wears red, white, yellow or blue. Empty cities. Sterile tracks devoid of wind or dust or leaves.

So far no damage despite what you see on the ads. Bash into a car and there is not even a scratch. Apparently the damage appears later in the game! What a crazy nonsensical idea.

The driving mostly feels good in premium cars, there are a ton of features and some good looking tracks and cars but overall this game is one of the biggest letdowns this gen. After seeing the ads it feels like it's one big con. I can see why it is a not a 90+ game on Metacritic and really think Sony should start looking at another studio to put out a racing game. PD are really not in the major league anymore.

Message 70 of 185 (80 Views)
Survivor
2748 posts

Re: GT5 is a major disappointment. Time for PD to hand over the reigns

Nov 26, 2010

I think it's a great game, but not an almost 6 year in building great game.

Many times I have found myself asking, "What the hell were they doing all this time?"

Photobucket
Message 1 of 185 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
888 posts

Nov 26, 2010

Mattsta001 wrote:

I 'm currently doing the European Classic Car race and it suddenly hit me what a major disappointment this game is. This game just does not cut it compared to other AAA 1st party titles.

I 'm driving a last gen model car racing against other PS2 era cars in last gen chase cam. It doesn't even feel like driving. Why? I did not want to. I can't use cockpit view. I was planning on only driving premiums but discovered the game forces you to buy the ugly standard cars to complete certain races.

The process of getting that car and changing from my usual car was a messy, clumsy navigation through multiple menu screens. It was a chore. I could not access the dealerships straight from the race preview screen. You can not sell a car from your garage if its being used. You have to swap it out and then sell it. More redundant menu screen navigation that anyone with half a brain could see could be better streamlined.

The scenery texture work in this game is sometimes appalling. I noticed on the Cote d'Azur track for example a lot of the track features are flat and low poly and not 2010 standard. It's like they are using assets from 2005. The game is full of 2D trees and laughable static crowd models where everyone wears red, white, yellow or blue. Empty cities. Sterile tracks devoid of wind or dust or leaves.

So far no damage despite what you see on the ads. Bash into a car and there is not even a scratch. Apparently the damage appears later in the game! What a crazy nonsensical idea.

The driving mostly feels good in premium cars, there are a ton of features and some good looking tracks and cars but overall this game is one of the biggest letdowns this gen. After seeing the ads it feels like it's one big con. I can see why it is a not a 90+ game on Metacritic and really think Sony should start looking at another studio to put out a racing game. PD are really not in the major league anymore.

No..

Message 2 of 185 (80 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
44900 posts

Nov 26, 2010

Send your copy to me and I'll find a good home for it. 

Message 3 of 185 (80 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1684 posts

Nov 26, 2010

What I would like to know is how did you find the cars for European Classic Car race? Can't find those or the World or Japanese. Show me where I can buy these Clunkers and I will be happy no matter what the drive is like. I just need those cars and so do a few of my friends, they are simply not in the game anywhere. And yes, checked Used cars for 3 hours.

Mom can I have another quarter, pleeezzzzzzzz!!!!!
Message 4 of 185 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4305 posts

Nov 26, 2010

There's nothing wrong with criticizing the game if you have issues but saying things like, "crazy nonsensical idea" or "it's one big con" only makes people disregard your entire post (like me  ). Just a heads-up dude.

Message 5 of 185 (80 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1953 posts

Nov 26, 2010

Mattsta001 wrote:

It is quite obvious from your post that you are a first time GT player and have never played any of the games before.

Also if you are that unhappy with the game, like MastrGT said just send it to one of us and we will find a happy home for it and then you can go back to those other arcadey style games that you seem to like better.

Original username: Redrkt
Original reg date: 12/30/03

Redrkt RacingTPRA ForumsCustoms Sigs
Message 6 of 185 (80 Views)
Wastelander
888 posts

Nov 26, 2010

He's most likely playing the game right now.

Message 7 of 185 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Nov 26, 2010

There's nothing wrong with buying and driving certain cars for certain races.  Gran Turismo has been doing that since it's inception, if somebody didn't expect that maybe they should do some research first.  There's no fairness in driving an F1 car through every race series, classic European, hot hatch, American muscle, it just doesn't work.

The real problem in GT5 is finding these cars to buy.  I want a 1979 or earlier Japanese car which is nowhere to be seen.  I swore this process is easier in GT4.  

Message 8 of 185 (80 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
77 posts

Nov 26, 2010

MLT24 wrote:

What I would like to know is how did you find the cars for European Classic Car race? Can't find those or the World or Japanese. Show me where I can buy these Clunkers and I will be happy no matter what the drive is like. I just need those cars and so do a few of my friends, they are simply not in the game anywhere. And yes, checked Used cars for 3 hours.

Haha, luck of the draw I guess. But that sounds like another poorly thought out idea. Hey guys, wanna progress? Just wait 3 hours for the right car to come up.

Message 9 of 185 (80 Views)
0 Likes