Sep 04 2009
By: SiLeNtMuRK14 Wastelander 888 posts

GT5 add-ons for $$$

37 replies 248 views Edited Sep 4, 2009
I sure hope they don't do what most games do. Sure, I'll take some cool add-ons for GT5, but I've played every single Gran Turismo, and I'm not going to pay for them. Especially if its like the crap EA pulls and charges like 99 cent. There is over 1000 projected cars due for GT5. Why would they possibly make us pay for another single car. Even a pack of cars or something. This is the first one on the new platform, and although I hope they take advantage of the downloading and uploading technology, I wouldn't like it if they tried to pull a fast one on us and have us pay more money even after we all bought the prologue.
Message 1 of 38 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
325 posts

Re: GT5 add-ons for $$$

Sep 4, 2009

lol, i like how you get mad at them for making you pay for extra cars when thats never been said anywhere. =)

As far as I know, PD are not fond of that idea either. They want to ship a complete game, not ship semi-complete game and make DLC after the fact.  Hence the many many many delays.

Message 2 of 38 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12272 posts

Sep 4, 2009

There are a lot of good reasons to offer DLC.

They can keep producing material well after the release of the game. There's no such thing as not enough time.

They can give us model year updates. New cars hit the streets every year. A new GT comes once every 5.

They can fix things (just via patches, not DLC that you pay for)

They can make money, and remain a viable, healthy company, that will stay in business to produce another game (and more DLC for this one).

There are also ways to minimize the costs, and impact on the consumer. Home has proven to produce millions of dollars, at as little as 0.49 cents at a time. Bundling gives the buyer a deal, when they buy bulk. There's even a rumour that you will be able to buy a premium version of GT, probably for 30-50% more money, that gives the buyer a pass to all future DLC.

So, bottom line... wait for the details, and decide on your own when to open the wallet. I bet they'll get you too.

DriverSports.org
Message 3 of 38 (248 Views)
Wastelander
888 posts

Sep 4, 2009
im not getting mad im saying its ridiculous when games like need for speed charge for a single car. and what im saying is why would they charge someone for a single car if they already have a thousand in the game. the impact of that new car wouldnt do much at all. in a game like need for speed, sure it may have an impact because there arent as many cars. i wouldnt mind if they update the models of the cars every year when they came out. but i really dont want to have to drop a total of maybe 50 bucks on add-ons after i bought the prologue for 40 and the actuall game for 60+
Message 4 of 38 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12272 posts

Sep 4, 2009

That's the beauty of it. You don't ever have to, if you don't want to. 1000 cars should keep you plenty busy.

We just don't know if or how they will deal with DLC. Like new model years, there are good reasons for it. Also, there are other companies out there to cite as better examples of how to implement micro transactions. EA is pretty greedy that way. I doubt PD will follow their model. Even EA offers bundles though.

DriverSports.org
Message 5 of 38 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
888 posts

Sep 4, 2009
yeah i agree that there is good reasons for it. and sure 1000 is plenty to keep me busy for a while. lol but i dont think i could stand knowing that i dont have everything there is to the game. so id have to pay
Message 6 of 38 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3260 posts

Sep 4, 2009
I would venture a guess that any "$ 4 DLC" would be one of the better values one would see for a 3 title.
Message 7 of 38 (248 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1118 posts

Sep 4, 2009
I Honestly Dont MiNd... I'll Pay The Extra Cash For The DLC But iT Just Has To Be WorTh iT...
benzsig
Message 8 of 38 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
303 posts

Re: GT5 add-ones for $$$

Sep 5, 2009

DLCs are great... when used the right way.

I believe that what OP means, is that many "smart" developers release incomplete games, then sell DLCs to get more money. It's happening with nearly every game that have DLCs nowadays. It's literally a rip off.

Take Soul Calibur for example. I paid 60$ in the game, and they want to sell me a single character (a very annoying one when fighting against) for 5$. Why? It could easily be in the game already (which in fact it is but I need to unlock it by paying, not by beating the game as you would expect).

One example is not enough? What about Resident Evil 5 and it's failed multiplayer mode. Another one? Fallout 3 and the extra quests. And I could keep going and going but you got the idea, I believe.

I certainly hope that's not the case with GT5. Used the right way, DLCs can make an epic game even more epic (if that's possible) and it really doesn't look like they will be misused, but who knows...

Message Edited by Dravonic on 09-04-2009 06:14 PM
Message 9 of 38 (248 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1487 posts

Re: GT5 add-ones for $$$

Sep 5, 2009

I'm sure PD doesn't want to release an incomplete game, but knowing them, and previous versions there will be things that have been cut (like drag racing.) I'm sure they wouldn't like to release the incomplete game, but they KNOW, and with a huge fan base, if they have DLC that costs money, it will be bought.

I know that PD probably doesn't think that way towards their customers, but with the money I don't have to spend on PSN since it's free, I will definitely be glad to buy the DLC

Message Edited by happycorey on 09-04-2009 08:26 PM
Message 10 of 38 (248 Views)
0 Likes